• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Calolfornia

On 8/22/2019 at 8:37 AM, floplag said:

I live up in Lancaster, guy literally opened fire on the sub station.   I hadnt yet heard where it came from but the fact that someone would open fire on a sheriff station is telling.  The more we villify cops, the more this is going to happen.  

The sheriff's deputy made it up.

Reinosa admitted cutting two holes, which he had claimed were caused by gunfire, in his own uniform with a knife, the lieutenant said.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, floplag said:

I live up in Lancaster, guy literally opened fire on the sub station.   I hadnt yet heard where it came from but the fact that someone would open fire on a sheriff station is telling.  The more we villify cops, the more this is going to happen.  

On 8/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, gotbeer said:

7 hours ago, Rico said:

The sheriff's deputy made it up.

54 minutes ago, Adam said:

Ffs

The more we villify cops, the more this is going to happen.

On 8/22/2019 at 8:37 AM, floplag said:

So you admit that anti-cop sentiments played a role in this shooting. However, the president railing against Mexicans played no role in the El Paso shooting.

Edit: LOL, I kept reading. 

Edited by Taylor

1 hour ago, floplag said:

If he made it up, he should be dealt with accordingly... but then im sure all the stuff made up against cops is perfectly acceptable, lol 

He did make it up. That's settled.

Nobody here said anything about false allegations against cops being seen by some as acceptable. 

Wait. That's wrong. You did.

10 hours ago, Taylor said:

So you admit that anti-cop sentiments played a role in this shooting. However, the president railing against Mexicans played no role in the El Paso shooting.

Edit: LOL, I kept reading. 

i never commented on any such thing, the president has never railed against Mexicans so your point is moot, unless you assume illegal = Mexican which i do not. 

9 hours ago, RallyMo said:

He did make it up. That's settled.

Nobody here said anything about false allegations against cops being seen by some as acceptable. 

Wait. That's wrong. You did.

WE both know many here have, but im used to the denial. 
both are wrong, period.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

Yea youre right, no one was backing Smollet or other when that happened..... lol

I see that conflation and misrepresentation is the name of your game.

1) What false allegations (specifically about police, the topic at hand) did Smollet make which were then backed by by people on this board?

2) As best as I can remember things here, once evidence of impropriety was seen in Smollet's false allegations against characters he created that weren't police officers, nobody on AW supported him.

3) Whether or not it's intentional, you're conflating and misrepresenting things.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Rico said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/09/09/california-assembly-bill-allows-college-athletes-use-likeness/2269869001/

The California State Assembly on Monday overwhelmingly passed a bill that would allow college athletes to more easily make money off their own name, image and likeness, beginning Jan. 1, 2023.

Doesnt really matter, they cant override the NCAA national laws.  Anyone that does that will lose amateur status regardless of what the state says.  There cannot be different rules for different athletes as part of a national organization.  But it is so CA to think it cna decide stuff for the rest of the country. 

11 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

California Lawmakers Advance Bill To Redefine And Protect Gig Economy Workers

Not sure I like this one.  Looks like another overreach to put regulations as the mob sees fit.  

I'm on the front lines of this working with the drivers and companies this impacts. It is all a bunch of crony bullshit. Once everything shakes out in court, when this bill is challenged, the final version will allow all these people to be ICs, but it will require extra government screenings and a lot more insurance requirements. This whole bill is a money grab from the insurance companies and the fucktwats with their hands out in Sacramento. The hilarious yet sad thing is when it all shakes out, the workers, who "we have to protect" will be worse off due to some insurance and other out of pocket screening and inspection costs. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Doesnt really matter, they cant override the NCAA national laws.  Anyone that does that will lose amateur status regardless of what the state says.  There cannot be different rules for different athletes as part of a national organization.  But it is so CA to think it cna decide stuff for the rest of the country. 

Well other like-minded states are considering similar legislation.  is the NCAA going to kick out all these schools?  Eventually there will be enough states doing this that they can hold their own tournaments in direct competition with the NCAA.  (With the added bonus of being able to draw most of the top talent)  

Anyway, what is the actual argument that student athletes shouldn't be able to profit from their own likeness?  

16 minutes ago, Rico said:

Well other like-minded states are considering similar legislation.  is the NCAA going to kick out all these schools?  Eventually there will be enough states doing this that they can hold their own tournaments in direct competition with the NCAA.  (With the added bonus of being able to draw most of the top talent)  

Anyway, what is the actual argument that student athletes shouldn't be able to profit from their own likeness?  

Actually no, thats not the argument, the argument is if the states can override the NCAA.  
The NCAA sets the rules for all members institutions, not the CA assembly.   CA ha a lot more to worry about than what the point guard at UCLA is getting paid while getting free education. 
I personally am against athletes being paid while in school, if thats the case then they should forfeit the scholarships and allow them to be given to those who actually need or will use them.  The free education IS the pay in the age of student debt.   Cant have it both ways.  

3 hours ago, floplag said:

I personally am against athletes being paid while in school, if thats the case then they should forfeit the scholarships and allow them to be given to those who actually need or will use them.  The free education IS the pay in the age of student debt.   Cant have it both ways.  

See, that's the thing.  Say you pay the basketball and football players.  Eventually, the womens basketball team will demand equal payment.  Even though nobody watches them or will pay to go see them.  Then you have the golf, baseball, rowing and all the other sports that also receive scholarships.  What happens then?  Do you shut down all sports, except those that make enough money to sustain themselves?  Which is also fine.  As long as that is the rule, and not some special treatment of only some sports.  

Then you will have the million dollar question.  Say you pay college athletes.  Can you not say then that the colleges own their rights for the 4 years that they sign to go to the school?  No more 1 year, then go pro like football and basketball want you to do.  You want to leave, you have to pay a severance to get out of your contract.  That only seems fair, and what would happen in the real world.

Again, my thoughts is, if you want to pay the athletes.  Then the NFL and the NBA should make their own minor leagues, just like Baseball, PGA, NHL, and let players go there right out of high school.  Leave colleges as is and don't pay them.  That way all sports are on the same playing field.

48 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

See, that's the thing.  Say you pay the basketball and football players.  Eventually, the womens basketball team will demand equal payment.  Even though nobody watches them or will pay to go see them.  Then you have the golf, baseball, rowing and all the other sports that also receive scholarships.  What happens then?  Do you shut down all sports, except those that make enough money to sustain themselves?  Which is also fine.  As long as that is the rule, and not some special treatment of only some sports.  

Then you will have the million dollar question.  Say you pay college athletes.  Can you not say then that the colleges own their rights for the 4 years that they sign to go to the school?  No more 1 year, then go pro like football and basketball want you to do.  You want to leave, you have to pay a severance to get out of your contract.  That only seems fair, and what would happen in the real world.

Again, my thoughts is, if you want to pay the athletes.  Then the NFL and the NBA should make their own minor leagues, just like Baseball, PGA, NHL, and let players go there right out of high school.  Leave colleges as is and don't pay them.  That way all sports are on the same playing field.

Well thats a whole other issue.  Title 9 ensures they get equal funding, you open up paying them and yeah, you open that box as a possibility.  
I agree completely they should start minor leagues like MLB if they want to get paid, you cant have both the free education worth hundreds of thousands potentially AND get paid, thats just F'n greed. 
The 2 systems are not feasible together, and there has to be one standard nationwide, the NCAA setst this, CA needs to stay in its lane and worry about the homeless of something they should actually be worried about, not college athletes getting legal booster money.