• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels enigma Alex Meyer trying not to think about Triple-A

7 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Alex Meyer doesn't have anything left to prove in AAA. If the Angels don't put him in the rotation, then he should be in the bullpen until they need him to start. It isn't as if the bullpen is so set that they couldn't use his 97 mph heat.

You're right ... unless, the plans for him is to keep him as a starter. Then AAA makes a lot of sense. 

I'd be fine with him beginning the year at SLC. He's been all over the place the last few years between being injured, rehab assignments, trades, being discussed as a starter or reliever - he seems to be healthy right now and is working on a new delivery. Let him get a month or two of a consistent routine and defined role and see how he handles it.

I'm sure the Angels aren't going to start him up in the Majors. They can keep him down until the June-July time frame and get the extra year of control. Besides they have other pitchers that are out of options that they would prefer to start off the season with that are doing well (Ramirez and Yates come to mind).

He is someone they can keep down and give one of the other camp guys a chance to start the season. Despite his potential it doesn't make sense in their current situation. Also I think Meyer is destined for the bullpen for at least the first half of 2017. If the Angels are out of it he'll get called up for starts, if they are in it he could be brought up for bullpen use.

I don't think there ever really was a "competition" for the 5th spot. I think it's always been Chavez's spot to lose, and nobody really stepped up to take it from him. 

Meyer will get his starts though. Once Skaggs goes down with *insert injury here* he'll probably be the first one to get the call.

I could see him getting 15-20 starts this year. That should give us a pretty good idea of what he's got. 

I think they need to put him in the rotation to sink or swim.  The longer he's held back, the more anxieties he will have.  The team that drafted him has given up on him.

We need a hard thrower.  Let's find out if the pitching coach, the manager, and the teammates can help launch a successful career. 

Having a surprise season will really help our chances of being more than a one and done playoff team next year.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think they don't want to put him in the bullpen because he's obviously more valuable as a starter so they don't want to abandon that if there's still a chance he gets there. Also, I think they feel that the routine of a starter works better to keep him healthy. 

I'd love for him to work out as a starter too I just feel like those command problems will eventually land him in the bullpen. Also there are innings limits I'm sure for him this year that won't let him achieve a full season of starts. He'll have to split time somewhere, whether in the Minors or Majors, between starting and bullpen duty. I could be completely wrong.

I've given up trying to understand athriwing motion that is and isn't healthy. I've watched Mark Prior with a picture perfect motion become irrevocably hurt, while others with a violent motion stay injury free for the length of their career.

Both Heaney and Tropeano have beautiful mechanics and got hurt. Meyer's look awful, yet he's never had elbow issues or experienced anything worse than tendinitis, though it's frequent.