• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels' Albert Pujols: 'It just feels good to be back'

I guess it's a good problem to have.  Let's look at our roster:

5 starters

7 relievers

2 catchers

Albert

Espinosa

Simmons

Escobar

Maybin

Revere

Trout

Calhoun

Valbuena

Marte

i think you can fit all three of them in.  Now if they go with an 8 man bullpen then Marte (who has more versatility) will be sent down.  Since they spent the off season looking for multiple inning bullpen guys, I think the 7 man pen should be fine.  Then again I think the Angels usually start the season with an extra arm because pitchers are usually behind batters early on. 

31 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You forgot Pennington

No I didn't, I intentionally left him off.  Espinosa is a plus defender at SS as well as 2nd base.  So if Simmons needs a day off Espinosa can play SS and Valbuena plays 2nd.  If you had to you could finish a game with Yunel at SS (injury or long extra inning game) and have Marte at 3rd. 

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No I didn't, I intentionally left him off.  Espinosa is a plus defender at SS as well as 2nd base.  So if Simmons needs a day off Espinosa can play SS and Valbuena plays 2nd.  If you had to you could finish a game with Yunel at SS (injury or long extra inning game) and have Marte at 3rd. 

I don't think that will be Scioscia's direction but we'll see...I suspect he keeps Pennington...guaranteed contract makes it more likely...

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Pennington is on the team.  I'd love to find a taker for Yunel, because I hate the idea of Marte or Cron starting the season in the minors.  

You just don't get it ... Angels aren't looking for takers on Escobar. 

Balance

44 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yunel at shortstop shortens any extra inning game and magnifies the impact of any injury......by a lot.  I agree with you about finding a taker for Escobar.  His offense would be missed but not his base running or fielding or throwing.

13 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Yunel at shortstop shortens any extra inning game and magnifies the impact of any injury......by a lot.  I agree with you about finding a taker for Escobar.  His offense would be missed but not his base running or fielding or throwing.

I disagree here. The LFers could lead off and his 3B PA's would be split by Valbuena and Marte and the team would be better off

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Pennington is on the team.  I'd love to find a taker for Yunel, because I hate the idea of Marte or Cron starting the season in the minors.  

Things can always happen in the spring (injuries, ineffectiveness) but I don't think Escobar's market will change much from last July or the offseason...he just isn't much in demand...would hate to see Marte or Cron at AAA but I think that's where we're headed....

Everyone talks about how great it would be to have some quality depth in the minor leagues in case of an injury to a starter, then post, trade Escobar so Marte can be on the roster. 

Escobar has one year left on his contract, Marte still has plenty of minor league options left. It makes more sense to keep Escobar and hold Marte in the minors as the eventual call up for an injured player. 

That is the best way to get through 162 games, having a solid backup plan.

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Things can always happen in the spring (injuries, ineffectiveness) but I don't think Escobar's market will change much from last July or the offseason...he just isn't much in demand...would hate to see Marte or Cron at AAA but I think that's where we're headed....

I like Marte but I see his future as a utility player. He has power but will never hit for average.