• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NAS

red321

On 3/23/2017 at 0:30 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Only one is a smart tv, a vizio I got last year. Do you think a Roku or even FireTV would work better than a RPi?

Yeah I do.

For RPi you would have to use one of the xbmc clones and IMO the interface is not great and it is clunky on a RPi even a 3.  The Roku and Amazon OS is nicer.  Out of the two I would mostly prefer Roku.

Of course, Apple TV is the best.

• 11 months later...

Finally bit the bullet and picked up a Synology NAS. 

Need to buy some drives now - like all things the internet sleuths have discovered the "easystore" drives that best buy sells for $179 actually contain a $300 WD "red" NAS hard drive. So you can buy it and shuck off the external casing and use the drive for your NAS. gonna pick up a couple 8tb of those if the best buys around me have any in stock.

I setup my HP Z840 with Enterprise drives that spin at 7200 rpm for my media storage. A 4 terabyte drive for projects and grfx and partitioned 12 terabyte for show media. No external drives, just slid them in to the drive slots in the HP and away we go. Have two more slots for upgrades if needed but for now I can store a full season of content without a problem. 

I'm pretty pleased my home setup. HPZ840 with dual 10 core processors, a 512 SSD boot drive, 64 gigs ram, 16 gigs of RAM on a P5000 Nvidia Quadro all run through a Black Magic card to my Sony 55" A1E Oled. 

Now all I need is the post season to start.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

I setup my HP Z840 with Enterprise drives that spin at 7200 rpm for my media storage. A 4 terabyte drive for projects and grfx and partitioned 12 terabyte for show media. No external drives, just slid them in to the drive slots in the HP and away we go. Have two more slots for upgrades if needed but for now I can store a full season of content without a problem. 

I'm pretty pleased my home setup. HPZ840 with dual 10 core processors, a 512 SSD boot drive, 64 gigs ram, 16 gigs of RAM on a P5000 Nvidia Quadro all run through a Black Magic card to my Sony 55" A1E Oled. 

Now all I need is the post season to start.

tenor.gif.da0a5356917c3cb25dbb87b1adf3a5cd.gif

On 3/26/2018 at 1:27 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm still not sure what my next step is... the raid set up is down to <1 terabyte of free space.

Time to purge!

I did notice that I had been using the NAS for a lot of archive/temporary backup while I was rearranging what was stored on other disks and getting my cloud backup arranged. Was able to clear out a few tb.

2 hours ago, red321 said:

Time to purge!

I did notice that I had been using the NAS for a lot of archive/temporary backup while I was rearranging what was stored on other disks and getting my cloud backup arranged. Was able to clear out a few tb.

Well, I could theoretically delete most of it I suppose, but I'd rather not take the time to go through and figure that out... lol

32 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Well, I could theoretically delete most of it I suppose, but I'd rather not take the time to go through and figure that out... lol

ha...I know the feeling. Whenever I start to run out of space on a photo drive I think...two options

1) go through and identify/delete thousands of rejected bad photos

2) buy new drive

option #2 always wins

2 minutes ago, red321 said:

ha...I know the feeling. Whenever I start to run out of space on a photo drive I think...two options

1) go through and identify/delete thousands of rejected bad photos

2) buy new drive

option #2 always wins

I'm also at the point where I want to make a change to my current set up anyway. I have a 4 drive, 8 TB raid in Raid 5, which gives me about 5.5 tb of storage. Problem is I didn't use enterprise / network rated drives in it, which is a big no no, so I fear it could screw me at any time. Also I've had 2 back up drives on it fail recently and I now only have about 2/3rd of it adequately backed up. I'd like to redeploy the raid as an 8 tb backup.

I've been doing a lot of video lately, and some of it is 4k that generates huge files. I probably only have room to back up two more projects. Looking at the current crop of technology and what I own I feel like waiting on prices to come down is ideal, but not sure I can.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2018 at 10:09 AM, red321 said:

What are these easystore drives you are referring to?

edit: ahhh...gotcha...I see it. Interesting. Been thinking about adding another drive to my Synology setup.

Finally broke out my new Synology and needed a drive.

Read up on the easystore shucking trick, poked around craigslist, and found a guy in the city nearby selling 8TB brand new unopened for only $110 (everyone else seemed to charge $170-180, which is still cheaper than best buy).

Was middle aged white dude in expensive neighborhood, selling because "he needed quick cash", ie he needs $$ for coke. Was right next to one of my favorite bars (@Lou - Brooke says hi), so I grabbed it for sh*ts and giggles and had a drink.

Got it home, ran some diagnostics tests the internet dweebs recommend, and well holy shit, it was indeed a WD RED drive WITH the 256MB cache. Score.

Shucking took maybe a minute, popped it in the NAS, rocking and rolling now. 

A $300 drive for $110. Boom.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Synology setup...though I think they are looking for a direct connection and not network attached. Maybe Synology has options that support direct connectivity.

I dig that Synology add-ons, software. Setup cloud services so I can access files from my phone while I'm out and about. 

I have heard some rough comments on Drobo support in the past...that was years ago, not sure if it's still an issue.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just switched everything over to Ubuntu/Docker.

Samba for the NAS portion.  Then Docker containers for Plex, Tautulli, mcmyadmin(minecraft server), and forkeddaapd(itunes server).

Means I can back up, restart, kill, etc any container without affecting everything else.