• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Republican Health Care

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

For about ten years, from about age 25 to 35, I had a catastrophic care policy that provided minimal coverage but kicked in big time in event of hospitalization or a serious, chronic illness. The policy cost me peanuts compared to today's premiums. Turns out I didn't need it, and most people that age are probably in the same position.

Health insurance is cheap when you are 25 to 35.

It really starts going up when you are over 45 and when you are 60 it skyrockets.

I hope you aren't under the impression that your health insurance premiums should be the same as they were when you were 25 because no ones is.

Comparing premiums when one is 25 to later in life is disingenuous at best and deceptive at worst..

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The problem appears to be that the entire focus on the republican side seems to be political.

Why not just repeal it and start over? Do something like create health savings accounts for individuals and have the government provide catastrophic coverage (something like everything over $25k in a year) for everyone.

It seems like everything related to health care is politically unpopular because everything is so damn expensive

Obamacare just needed to be tweaked and improved, but Republicans didn't want Obama to get any credit for anything so they obstructed the whole thing because they were hell bent on making him a one term president. There really was/is no need to throw out the baby with the bath water. Despite all the horror stories about Obamacare most Americans are getting good care at a reasonable price and MILLIONS are getting care that had none before. Obamacare was never intended to be the end game for health care, it was just the beginning, but now the Republicans are going to ruin it because they have politicized it to the point that they can't go back now.

The Republican Party and Donald Trump now own health care in America..it's only going to get worse under their watch because they didn't want comprehensive health care to begin with..bet it!

39 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

This is why I cannot stand our government.  No thought or nuance, just a rush to have something.  Republicans are making the same idiotic mistakes the dems made that pissed so many off.

Honestly, and I can't believe I'm saying it, but it seems pretty clear that the dems put a lot more thought into the ACA than the rep are putting into this.

Many said that the insurance mandate being deemed unconstitutional would sink the whole thing, now the republicans are just taking it out. The unpopular parts of the ACA are there because they were needed to give the policy a shot at working (which it still didn't). Taking out the unpopular parts is only going to hasten its demise. Cutting coverage does nothing to reduce the costs of healthcare which is the real problem. 

6 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Obamacare just needed to be tweaked and improved, but Republicans didn't want Obama to get any credit for anything so they obstructed the whole thing because they were hell bent on making him a one term president. There really was/is no need to throw out the baby with the bath water. Despite all the horror stories about Obamacare most Americans are getting good care at a reasonable price and MILLIONS are getting care that had none before. Obamacare was never intended to be the end game for health care, it was just the beginning, but now the Republicans are going to ruin it because they have politicized it to the point that they can't go back now.

The Republican Party and Donald Trump now own health care in America..it's only going to get worse under their watch because they didn't want comprehensive health care to begin with..bet it!

Meh. I don't think there was anything they could do to the policy to significantly improve it. If it was so easy the republicans wouldn't be fumbling it so badly.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Many said that the insurance mandate being deemed unconstitutional would sink the whole thing, now the republicans are just taking it out. The unpopular parts of the ACA are there because they were needed to give the policy a shot at working (which it still didn't). Taking out the unpopular parts is only going to hasten its demise. Cutting coverage does nothing to reduce the costs of healthcare which is the real problem. 

I would agree with this..the Republicans are good at the self-fulfilling prophecy. They like to defund things making it impossible for them to succeed and when they fail because of their actions they go around saying "i told you so".

9 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Meh. I don't think there was anything they could do to the policy to significantly improve it. If it was so easy the republicans wouldn't be fumbling it so badly.

This I disagree with.

Republicans have never wanted comprehensive health care, they never wanted SS, they never wanted Medicare either. The Republican Party has fought for a couple of generation to rid America of these programs. Bush tried to float privatizing SS which would have all but killed the program as people pulled out. It went over like a lead balloon. Their replacement for Obamacare is meant to be a failure because that's what they want to happen! Republicans want health care to go away..you can take that to the bank.

48 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Health insurance is cheap when you are 25 to 35.

It really starts going up when you are over 45 and when you are 60 it skyrockets.

I hope you aren't under the impression that your health insurance premiums should be the same as they were when you were 25 because no ones is.

Comparing premiums when one is 25 to later in life is disingenuous at best and deceptive at worst..

No, I'm just exploring the idea of letting young people purchase catastrophic care plans if they so choose.

The more I think about it, Medicare for those 50 and over, and other types of plans for those younger than that. They can make this work financially if they put their minds to it.

Just now, Angels#1Fan said:

This I disagree with.

Republicans have never wanted comprehensive health care, they never wanted SS, they never wanted Medicare either. The Republican Party has fought for a couple of generation to rid America of these programs. Bush tried to float privatizing SS and it went over like a lead balloon. Their replacement for Obamacare is meant to be a failure because that's what they want to happen! Republicans want health care to go away..you can take that to the bank.

The republicans have to at least be smart enough to realize that if health care fails now it's on them. When it inevitably does the democrats will have all of the political clout they need to 'fix' it, and at that point single payer will be the obvious 'solution.' The republicans are only concerned with the politics of right now, and they are being incredibly short sighted.

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

No, I'm just exploring the idea of letting young people purchase catastrophic care plans if they so choose.

The more I think about it, Medicare for those 50 and over, and other types of plans for those younger than that. They can make this work financially if they put their minds to it.

Well that would be a good thing but don't count on the Republican Party to do it because they are vehemently against anything like that.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The republicans have to at least be smart enough to realize that if health care fails now it's on them. When it inevitably does the democrats will have all of the political clout they need to 'fix' it, and at that point single payer will be the obvious 'solution.' The republicans are only concerned with the politics of right now, and they are being incredibly short sighted.

I hope you are right about that but I'm not counting on it happening. I'm afraid that once it's gone it'll be gone for many generations.

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The problem appears to be that the entire focus on the republican side seems to be political.

Why not just repeal it and start over? Do something like create health savings accounts for individuals and have the government provide catastrophic coverage (something like everything over $25k in a year) for everyone.

It seems like everything related to health care is politically unpopular because everything is so damn expensive

This is an intriguing idea. Very few people are going to run up costs like this in a year, and if everyone is paying into it through some form of tax, the premium would probably be small.

The Republicans have painted themselves into a corner over replacing Obamacare. I really don't think they ever really intended to replace it because they thought the opportunity would never present itself but it did. That is why, imo, they didn't have a health care plan for the last seven years, hell it's why they've never had a health care plan ever! Now they've talked so much that they have forced themselves to come up with something even if it's crap which is really ok with them anyway. Coming up with a comprehensive health care plan goes against everything conservatives stand for and they aren't going to start at this late date with a plan that Trump promised will be the greatest in history. lol  

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Too many politicians cater to their district, often times at the expense of common sense and what the greater need is. 

When the northridge quake happened, congress passed an emergency relief package to help with rebuilding. I think it was 20/20 that did a report about all the riders attached to the bill, including $10 mil to build a transportation hub in West Virginia, home of senator and gigantic career political schmuk Robert Byrd. Politicians have done crap like this for so long that the greater good gets shoved to the side and this is now the norm. And it's wrong, politically and morally.