• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Republican Health Care

Both Republicans and Democrats have failed to address the exponentially rising costs of health care and prescription drugs.

That to me is the real problem here, and nobody has confronted it.

A friend of mine is receiving chemotherapy four days a week, and each treatment would cost him $36,000 without insurance. He pays just a few dollars. They have to recoup the rest of it by raising premiums on everyone.

An MRI machine costs around $250,000 and can pay for itself after just a few weeks at approx. $2,500 per MRI. But these machines continue to work for years and they continue to charge the same. Why so expensive?

The Hepatitis C drug costs $84,000 for a single course of treatment. Really?!

A lot of things are wrong here, and the plans don't even begin to address the problem.

1 hour ago, cezero said:

just got a flurry of texts from my mom. she's 76, and a widow. totally freaking out over how much her premiums are likely to go up. and she's further right than anybody i've seen on this board. would've voted palin for pres. 

I don't believe Medicare will be affected. Everyone pays the same monthly premium for Part B, and it's around $120. Part A (hospital) is free. What your Mom might be thinking of is Part C, which are the optional Medicare Advantage plans. But there are many options and the freedom to choose how much coverage one wants and needs.

1 minute ago, cezero said:

The ACA certainly was a start, and getting universal medicaid is the end goal for actual liberals, which addresses all of that. 

I remain skeptical that when the government subsidizes our health care, the costs will go down.

Costs tend to go up when government controls and guarantees everything.

I do admit that I don't understand all the parameters of this. I'm open to any reasonable arguments for single payer leading to lower costs. It hasn't worked for Medicare, whose costs are infinitely higher than estimated by the Johnson administration even adjusting for inflation.

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Share with us your favorite elements of the Repblicans' new health care proposal.

It won't fix a thing. Maybe removing the state lines restriction will help lower cost, but that's about it I think.

If you want lower priced healthcare you need to go all the way in one direction or the other (either single payer or total free market) while at the same time dealing with the issues of being charged $200 for a Tylenol and Hospitals spending $100 on a pack of staples.

Politicians need to stop pussy footing around and find their balls. Either way a lot of people are gonna be pissed off.

18 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Paul Ryan always seems like a man in an awful hurry, and that's not good when you're dealing with something as complicated as health insurance.

The problem with politicians in general is that none of them act with long term interests in mind.  They rushed to pass ACA and now they're rushing to "replace" it while they should be looking at what's working and building on that.  Deficit spending has become a way of life for the last 3+ decades while they continue to screw over future generations by using future dollars for current votes.  We could go on all day but 99% of the time they say/do whatever they need to toe the party line and get re-elected at the expense of others.  

I think they just want a quick victory and something to stick it to Obama.

If I were Ryan, I would have done the tax cuts first. George W. Bush got his tax cuts passed at the beginning of March in 2001. The Reagan cuts were also negotiated quickly in 1981. The key word, "negotiated". Reagan and Tip O'Neill worked out a bipartisan deal. Imagine that, both sides working together. Reagan got most of what he wanted, but certainly not all. The Republicans today seem to want to ram this thing through no matter what. I don't think a single Democrat has come forward to say they support this.

38 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

It won't fix a thing. Maybe removing the state lines restriction will help lower cost, but that's about it I think.

If you want lower priced healthcare you need to go all the way in one direction or the other (either single payer or total free market) while at the same time dealing with the issues of being charged $200 for a Tylenol and Hospitals spending $100 on a pack of staples.

Politicians need to stop pussy footing around and find their balls. Either way a lot of people are gonna be pissed off.

There's a boner for Bernie that won't go away hidden deep in the bowels of this post.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Both Republicans and Democrats have failed to address the exponentially rising costs of health care and prescription drugs.

That to me is the real problem here, and nobody has confronted it.

A friend of mine is receiving chemotherapy four days a week, and each treatment would cost him $36,000 without insurance. He pays just a few dollars. They have to recoup the rest of it by raising premiums on everyone.

An MRI machine costs around $250,000 and can pay for itself after just a few weeks at approx. $2,500 per MRI. But these machines continue to work for years and they continue to charge the same. Why so expensive?

The Hepatitis C drug costs $84,000 for a single course of treatment. Really?!

A lot of things are wrong here, and the plans don't even begin to address the problem.

Bernie had a plan.

Is there anyone here that actually thinks that Trumpcare is going to be better and cheaper than what we currently have?

Is there anyone here that actually thinks that Trumpcare premiums won't ever go up?

Is there anyone here that actually thinks that Trumpcare will cover more people not fewer?

Who here really thinks their Trumpcare policies will offer the same or more coverage for less? 

14 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

This, and similar images, are showing up on my angelswin pages.

Please make it stop.

You think that's bothersome? Check out this absolutely DISGUSTING ad from Dish that I just witnessed:

Screenshot_20170309-135019.png

I'm not even in the market for one, let alone two, fixed price or not.

The problem appears to be that the entire focus on the republican side seems to be political.

Why not just repeal it and start over? Do something like create health savings accounts for individuals and have the government provide catastrophic coverage (something like everything over $25k in a year) for everyone.

It seems like everything related to health care is politically unpopular because everything is so damn expensive

For about ten years, from about age 25 to 35, I had a catastrophic care policy that provided minimal coverage but kicked in big time in event of hospitalization or a serious, chronic illness. The policy cost me peanuts compared to today's premiums. Turns out I didn't need it, and most people that age are probably in the same position.