• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Excel Help Offered

Schildog

My son got fed up with the volatility of the television world and picked up a job as a junior analyst (yeah, he's a closet math nerd) at a well established company that provides parts for the aircraft industry. 

They would hand him a series of cost analysis tasks and tell him this will take him a day or two to compile. He sits in his cubicle, looks over all the data, builds some macros in excel to move data from one spreadsheet to another and in about an hour has everything done. 

He hands it on to one VP that looks it over and says, amazing, I don't know what you did but this saves us money, time and makes it easier to track. Tell me more. 

The other VP says, I don't know what you did, do it the other way. 

He is back working in the television industry after that five month detour. 

On 2/27/2017 at 11:47 AM, Blarg said:

My son got fed up with the volatility of the television world and picked up a job as a junior analyst (yeah, he's a closet math nerd) at a well established company that provides parts for the aircraft industry. 

They would hand him a series of cost analysis tasks and tell him this will take him a day or two to compile. He sits in his cubicle, looks over all the data, builds some macros in excel to move data from one spreadsheet to another and in about an hour has everything done. 

He hands it on to one VP that looks it over and says, amazing, I don't know what you did but this saves us money, time and makes it easier to track. Tell me more. 

I experience something along these lines basically every day

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2017 at 9:47 AM, Blarg said:

He should move to software industry - we are all about more being more efficient. 

• 4 months later...

I might take this up. I've never been tech savvy and want to build two simple excel spreadsheets to monitor fundings....maybe a ytd and mtd for pay periods. I used to have one and it was so basic that I may be able to just lookup a Youtube video or some guy at work has one that maybe I can tinker with. 

Somewhat related but I have been using SAS for analytics lately.  It is great for automating reporting and it can connect to just about every type of db there is so you can query multiple dbs pull whatever data you need and build reports or data extracts.  Then setup a cron job or windows task scheduler to automate it, including emails to the target audience with stats and links to the location of the saved report.