• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Props 47 & 57 and Gov Brown

50 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Let me actually try to tackle this.  It is not fair to blame a law or voters for the actions of a person.  There are many factors at work here.  Now, regarding the law.  California is in a difficult position with overcrowded jails and a gigantic budget deficit.  I get why they are trying to thin the population of prisons.  

However, why don't we talk about all of the inmates whose crimes are drug related.  It would seem prudent to me to let out non violent offenders early and exhaust that completely before releasing violent offenders.

California has funny standards for "non violent" crimes. I do agree with you though 

Just now, mtangelsfan said:

Always near somebody.  Regardless, I am pretty sure you have Libertarian views.  Why are we locking so many non-violent folks up in the first place?

It depends what you consider non violent. Breaking into someone's house and stealing all their valuables makes them a POS. They should serve time for sure. Drug possession folks do not need incarceration. California has a unique situation compared to many states in the fact we have rampant gang problems. There really isn't much hope helping them turn their life around.

All the more reason to be really selective.  Honestly I think prison/jail should be limited to folks who we have learned have little problem hurting other people.  I know that is pie-in-the-sky but I just don't believe much thought has been given to whether locking folks up actually works other than to protect the public.

24 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

from KTLA:

Suspect is 26-year-old Michael C. Mejia, a known gang member who was paroled early.

Six arrests since July, 2016 and long rap sheet before that.

He was realesed under AB109 since he was in there for vehicle theft. They didn't count his prior armed robbery.

My tolerance for violent gang members is zero.

Pass new laws to make membership in a violent street gang punishable by a minimum of twenty years, no parole. Then sweep the neighborhoods for the guns. Use the RICO laws. Whatever it takes.

I know...they got their "rights".

But really...we need maniacs like this guy roaming our streets? Another young and violent gang member with a very long record blew through a red light in a stolen car as he was fleeing Torrance police yesterday, and killed an innocent driver who was minding his own business. NOW he's going away, but he should have been locked up a long time ago. By the way, he's 22 years old with seven convictions already. That's unacceptable!

Mejia has a record that includes a 2010 robbery conviction and a 2014 conviction for grand theft auto, the Los Angeles Times reports. He was sentenced to four years in prison for the 2010 robbery conviction and two years in prison in 2014. He was released from prison in April 2016.

He has been in and out of jail several times since July 2016 for probation violations, the Times reports. He spent 10 days in jail in July. He was then arrested again in September. It is not clear how long he spent in jail for that violation.

Mejia was then arrested again in January for violating his probation and sentenced to 40 days in jail, but was released after spending just 10 days behind bars. On February 2 he was arrested by deputies from the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Office for violating the terms of his release. He was given “flash incarceration” and released after 10 days on February 11.

Then, less than 10 days after that stint in jail, he shot his cousin, stole his car and killed the Whittier police officer, police said.

Details of the violations were not immediately available, but Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office Lieutenant John Corina told him they “were all different incidents.”

Here is the problem.  Eventually, the crooks are going to realize.  Hey, I can rob any house I want.  i can steal any car I want.  I can sell as much drugs as I want.  And if someone confronts me, just walk away.  Because even if I get caught, I'll be out in a few days to rob again, because I'm an Angel that wasn't violent and didn't harm or rape anyone.

4 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Here is the problem.  Eventually, the crooks are going to realize.  Hey, I can rob any house I want.  i can steal any car I want.  I can sell as much drugs as I want.  And if someone confronts me, just walk away.  Because even if I get caught, I'll be out in a few days to rob again, because I'm an Angel that wasn't violent and didn't harm or rape anyone.

Fascinating insight into the mind of a criminal, I think that was the plot to a CSI, no?

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

However, why don't we talk about all of the inmates whose crimes are drug related.  It would seem prudent to me to let out non violent offenders early and exhaust that completely before releasing violent offenders.

I do agree 100% with this. 

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

You assume that there will be no consequences 

4 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Always near somebody.  Regardless, I am pretty sure you have Libertarian views.  Why are we locking so many non-violent folks up in the first place?

If your a thief or a vandal you should be locked up for the appropriate time. This early release program that has consumed our criminal system is bullshit. 

As far as being locked up for possessing or consuming drugs? I'm against that. 

4 hours ago, red321 said:

A huge challenge we have is we treat drug use as a criminal issue, instead of a health care issue.

Channel 7 did a segment tonight on the drug use, and early release.  They were interviewing a family and saying their son was early released based on prop 57.  He's been a revolving door of drug use.  His family said he should still be in jail.  They say he refuses to go to any sort of drug program, and continues to use drugs and steals to get the money. 

58 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Channel 7 did a segment tonight on the drug use, and early release.  They were interviewing a family and saying their son was early released based on prop 57.  He's been a revolving door of drug use.  His family said he should still be in jail.  They say he refuses to go to any sort of drug program, and continues to use drugs and steals to get the money. 

Unfortunately, that's not someone who can be helped. 

5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Mejia has a record that includes a 2010 robbery conviction and a 2014 conviction for grand theft auto, the Los Angeles Times reports. He was sentenced to four years in prison for the 2010 robbery conviction and two years in prison in 2014. He was released from prison in April 2016.

seems to me he did the time that he was sentence.