• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Name change for Redskins?

A group of Native American activists has launched a court battle to deny the Washington Redskins federal trademark protection, which would pretty much force a name change. DC Councilman David Grosso says that the current name is "racist", and that it's "time for a change".

Article

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-05-01/redskins-name-change-options-ideas-controversy-washington-dc-football-team

List of non-racist names, some obviously not serious suggestions.

http://theweek.com/article/index/102991/19-non-racist-names-for-the-washington-redskins

As someone who went to a high school that's mascot is Apaches, these things drive me crazy.  We had Indian rights groups protesting our football games, track meets, first day of school, etc.  We even got rid of our cartoon Indian logo and just changed to a more traditional logo to make them happy but it never does.  Fortunately they haven't caved.

Old:

apachejoe.gif

New:

220px-Arcadia_High_School_logo.jpg

I think the term "redskin" is pretty damn bad, it is derogatory.  I don't think "apache" or "cherokee" or "indian" is though.  Redskins is pretty awful.  Might as well have a team named the "spicks"  or "chinks".

chinks_409477.jpg

I think the term "redskin" is pretty damn bad, it is derogatory.  I don't think "apache" or "cherokee" or "indian" is though.  Redskins is pretty awful.  Might as well have a team named the "spicks"  or "chinks".

This is where I stand on it. A team named for a tribe is a different situation. "Redskin" is a term applied to Native Americans to demean and trivialize them. If the team had been named the Blackskins or Yellowskins with a caricature of a stereotype of either race as the logo, there wouldn't even be a conversation about this. The name would have been gone long ago. 

I have also seen the term "savages" used for athletic teams, which has many of the same connotations.