• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Laptop recommendations?

Slegnaac

On 12/29/2016 at 10:05 PM, Tank said:

move it to where and do what with it? i have very little understanding of my dell, so walk me through it.

one of the kids in the high school came up to help me a few months ago, and he was able to transfer all of my music from my old mac and iTunes to the dell. it's now located in my google docs folder but because i no longer have iTunes, i can only play one song at a time as they're each in individual folders. i can't click on an album and have it play all of the songs one right after another, and it really blows. one song plays and then finishes. then i have to click on another song in another folder for it to play. then repeat ad nauseum. i want to stop having to do this. 

holy crap @Tank you're almost as bad as my step dad (who has the jitterbug phone...because he doesn't want to have to setup contacts, so he just uses the dial an operator feature so they'll place the call for him).

You have some choices.

1) install iTunes on the Dell or

2) pick another music player - personally I use the Amazon player because it ties into Amazon prime music and I when I do purchase music it's usually through Amazon. But there are a lot of choices, you could use the installed Windows Media player that is already on your laptop

3) Tell it to import music/folder and then select your music folder

your other choice is

1) find the box your puter came in

2) put the puter in the box

3) return it from where you bought it

4) buy an AM transistor radio

3 hours ago, red321 said:

so, he wants to use my taxpayer dollars to listen to crappy music? what an asshole

private school, amigo.

we'll just increase the tuition next year by $100 a kid so i can have a better music player. bam, done!

6 hours ago, red321 said:

holy crap @Tank you're almost as bad as my step dad (who has the jitterbug phone...because he doesn't want to have to setup contacts, so he just uses the dial an operator feature so they'll place the call for him).

You have some choices.

1) install iTunes on the Dell or

2) pick another music player - personally I use the Amazon player because it ties into Amazon prime music and I when I do purchase music it's usually through Amazon. But there are a lot of choices, you could use the installed Windows Media player that is already on your laptop

3) Tell it to import music/folder and then select your music folder

your other choice is

1) find the box your puter came in

2) put the puter in the box

3) return it from where you bought it

4) buy an AM transistor radio

i'm a lifelong Mac guy (been using macs since 1989), where computing is easy, so having this idiotic dell is foreign soil to me. 

1. tried to install itunes but it won't load onto this computer. was able to transfer songs from my mac to the dell via google docs, but it has saved them as individuals songs, each and every single one of them, not as albums or playlists - just individual songs. we're running ubuntu on this dell, in case that matters. 

2. don't know what other music players are available, which prompted the question. i have whatever the default windows music system is, but haven't had time to learn it and our tech guy said i couldn't install my itunes music into it. hadn't thought about the amazon prime music, but that would require me repurchasing all of my music, which i don't want to do and can't afford, plus there are some CDs i own that probably aren't available through them, and since this computer doesn't have a disc player, those are no longer available to me, either.

3. don't know how to do this on a dell and would greatly appreciate any help you're willing to give. 

4. if i could give this POS back to the tech guy - the one who insisted that we all switch to these infernal machines - and replace it with a new mac, i'd have done this months ago. he's not a mac guy, nor is he a microsoft fan, so we're using stuff HE likes, not what any of us are used to. it blows.

Ubuntu is Linux. Not sure if Ubuntu has a default media player, maybe a Linux person can chime in.

VLC Player seems to have high marks and used by a lot of folks. I may already be installed as part of the default installation. If you have to install it, there is a link below.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

After installing the media player you should be able to add your music files.

On 1/4/2017 at 4:17 PM, Tank said:

i'm a lifelong Mac guy (been using macs since 1989), where computing is easy, so having this idiotic dell is foreign soil to me. 

1. tried to install itunes but it won't load onto this computer. was able to transfer songs from my mac to the dell via google docs, but it has saved them as individuals songs, each and every single one of them, not as albums or playlists - just individual songs. we're running ubuntu on this dell, in case that matters. 

2. don't know what other music players are available, which prompted the question. i have whatever the default windows music system is, but haven't had time to learn it and our tech guy said i couldn't install my itunes music into it. hadn't thought about the amazon prime music, but that would require me repurchasing all of my music, which i don't want to do and can't afford, plus there are some CDs i own that probably aren't available through them, and since this computer doesn't have a disc player, those are no longer available to me, either.

3. don't know how to do this on a dell and would greatly appreciate any help you're willing to give. 

4. if i could give this POS back to the tech guy - the one who insisted that we all switch to these infernal machines - and replace it with a new mac, i'd have done this months ago. he's not a mac guy, nor is he a microsoft fan, so we're using stuff HE likes, not what any of us are used to. it blows.

Did you try google music?  I think it's music.google.com  It says you can upload up to 50,000 of your songs.  And since you already have it in docs, can't think it would be that difficult. 

you'll have a tough time getting itunes on that linux box natively. but you've got a few options:

1. fire up a windows VM, and run itunes there. this is pretty simple and will be the most rock solid. this is what i would do if i needed something non-linux supported.

2. install playonlinux, and put itunes there. also pretty simple. playonlinux is part of the standard distro now, so you can install it easily. then inside, you tell it to install a new program, choose itunes, and you're done.

3. install wine, and put itunes there. same as #2 basically.

4. put the music on a music server, and just stream it to your laptop. you could have a little used mac mini or macbook pro, and run itunes and whatever there. then access it from anywhere.

5. dual-boot ubuntu and windows. more work but not that hard, but you can only use one at a time, windows or linux. kind of overkill for just one application.

But this is exactly why you don't force your choice of operating system on the people you are supporting. Now all the non-linux folks there, which I am assuming is pretty much everyone other than your bonehead IT guy, is wasting time trying to change their every day routines so that they can use a completely new OS. This takes time away from their job, now he has more work supporting everyone, and is just plain annoying for the users. Really questionable decision making and use of resources there to force ubuntu on everyone against their will (ps an I'm an ubuntu guy).

20 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

you'll have a tough time getting itunes on that linux box natively. but you've got a few options:

1. fire up a windows VM, and run itunes there. this is pretty simple and will be the most rock solid. this is what i would do if i needed something non-linux supported.

2. install playonlinux, and put itunes there. also pretty simple. playonlinux is part of the standard distro now, so you can install it easily. then inside, you tell it to install a new program, choose itunes, and you're done.

3. install wine, and put itunes there. same as #2 basically.

4. put the music on a music server, and just stream it to your laptop. you could have a little used mac mini or macbook pro, and run itunes and whatever there. then access it from anywhere.

5. dual-boot ubuntu and windows. more work but not that hard, but you can only use one at a time, windows or linux. kind of overkill for just one application.

But this is exactly why you don't force your choice of operating system on the people you are supporting. Now all the non-linux folks there, which I am assuming is pretty much everyone other than your bonehead IT guy, is wasting time trying to change their every day routines so that they can use a completely new OS. This takes time away from their job, now he has more work supporting everyone, and is just plain annoying for the users. Really questionable decision making and use of resources there to force ubuntu on everyone against their will (ps an I'm an ubuntu guy).

yeah Tank the Luddite...go ahead and do what wicked said...make sure you video tape it so we can watch what happens!

• 2 weeks later...

My Hauwei tablet worked out well after the initial break in period where I had to sort through aps that worked and ones that were bloatware. Then I got a little sidetracked with laundry in the garage Monday at 5:30 in the morning and forgot I put it on my car hood.  

I think I saw it's remains about a half mile down the freeway from the house this morning. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2017 at 4:54 PM, Blarg said:

My Hauwei tablet worked out well after the initial break in period where I had to sort through aps that worked and ones that were bloatware. Then I got a little sidetracked with laundry in the garage Monday at 5:30 in the morning and forgot I put it on my car hood.  

I think I saw it's remains about a half mile down the freeway from the house this morning. 

Lol I did a similar thing with my new tablet. I put it on the roof of my car to load some bigger items. I was in a hurry to take my son to the ball park. I was traveling on the 10 fwy about 10 miles from home. All of a sudden the tablet flew into the car from my open sunroof. Scared the piss out of me. No damage done!

• 2 weeks later...