• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

If that is true I'm REALLY happy about the potential in that deal. Lamb had back problems this last season but before that he was looking like a really nice starter option for the Reds so hopefully the back thing isn't something that holds him back.

Eppler is bringing in so many mid-20's dudes with loads of potential and club control, I have to assume he's thinking more about this club's potential a year or two out than he is 2017. He has virtually rebuilt the 'farm' system to supply the big league team. It's crude and duct-taped together, but it's been an impressive effort to make something out of nothing.

He isn't punting this coming year, but he's really looking at guys who, if they realize their potential, are benefitting the club for years to come instead of quick fix guys for '17. Going to be a lot of auditioning this year.

38 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Really makes me think they're not intending on adding a FA SP, or they're considering dealing one. Or the dude just really wants to win the lottery. I like that all of these guys are fairly young too. Dipoto seemed to go after the older guys who had seen success early - Volstad, LeBlanc, Rich Hill even. The higher floor, lower ceiling type. Eppler is the opposite.

My exact thought. Dipoto was hellbent on finding any incremental additions to the MLB roster(Beckham, Pestano, Thatcher, Campana) while Eppler has basically stashed the upper minors with any pieces he can find. I'm not saying either approach is right or wrong but the 2 GMs couldn't have more opposite agendas. 

Man, if Nolasco can pitch as good as he did with us down the stretch for the entire 2017 campaign we have a good 1-4 in our rotation with tons of guys who can duke it out for the #5 start in ST. 

Should be a fun training camp to see who comes out on top. I too believe that they won't be signing a top or mid-tier arm now. 

1 minute ago, Angels_Baseball said:

My exact thought. Dipoto was hellbent on finding any incremental additions to the MLB roster(Beckham, Pestano, Thatcher, Campana) while Eppler has basically stashed the upper minors with any pieces he can find. I'm not saying either approach is right or wrong but the 2 GMs couldn't have more opposite agendas. 

Exactly. Granted both GM's have different expectations of their teams, but you still never really saw Dipoto grab anyone like this, ever. 

Eppler has picked up so many forgotten top prospects who are still young, in an alternate universe we'd have one of the best farm systems ever created. If in 2012 you knew the Angels would have Skaggs, Meyer, Banuelos, Lamb, Sanchez, Fontana, Marte, and Guerra we'd be losing our minds. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Eppler is bringing in so many mid-20's dudes with loads of potential and club control, I have to assume he's thinking more about this club's potential a year or two out than he is 2017. He isn't punting this coming year, but he's really looking at guys who, if they realize their potential, are benefitting the club for years to come instead of quick fix guys for '17. Going to be a lot of auditioning this year.

And that is essentially what I am laying out in the Primer series. Actively try to compete in 2017 through mostly mid-level and low-level signings and possibly one or two bigger acquisitions based on what the market has to offer (leaving them in a position to sell and gather more at the deadline) while really aiming for 2018-2020 to enter a prime window of contention. I still feel very strongly they will acquire a long-term good defensive 2B (and possibly a 3B even) in the $530K to $7M AAV range. I still think they will acquire another veteran starter for about the same amount $5M-$7M give or take probably through trade.

A lot of these pickups are all rookie eligible too. Most will act as depth to start the season. Eppler will do his best to avoid starting their service clocks to retain the extra year of control. Once the free agents start coming off the board and some big trades happen I think we will see more action from Billy especially at 2B and SP. He may add at 3B and I don't think he'll add another reliever but it is possible (and I'll detail that in the Bullpen Primer coming up next).

16 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Man, if Nolasco can pitch as good as he did with us down the stretch for the entire 2017 campaign we have a good 1-4 in our rotation with tons of guys who can duke it out for the #5 start in ST. 

Should be a fun training camp to see who comes out on top. I too believe that they won't be signing a top or mid-tier arm now. 

Yeah I think we're on track for another swingman type vet like Cahill or Feldman who could also be a solid bullpen piece. 

Nab a good 4th OF, at least one more reliever on top of the one mentioned above, and either sign a vet 2B to a one-year deal or trade for a long-term IF solution like Harrison, Dietrich, Hernandez, or Espinosa and I think that's about it.

I'm almost to a point where I'm worrying more about our offensive depth than starting pitching, at least in the near future. We don't have much of anything in the upper minors capable of replacing Maybin or Escobar late '17 (if they get dealt at deadline) or going into '18, and next year's FA class is more SP heavy than hitter friendly.

5 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

That's a huge if considering his career ERA is 4.52.

True, but I thought I read somewhere that Nolasco has good numbers pitching in the AL West or Anaheim, cannot remember though. 

Honestly guys like Nova aren't worth the money, so I like Eppy's plan here. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

According to Taylor Blake Ward/Matt Eddy, Angels signed SP John Lamb to a minor league deal. Tall lefty with pretty good minor league numbers, but pretty awful with the Reds. Only 26 though, and once a highly-regarded propsect.

I really like this one..   Lamb along with Finnegan was part of the Johnny Cueto trade.  Dude was a top 20 prospect at one time and has always been talked up.   If nothing else Eppler is pretty much picking up every former prospect/failed starter he can find -- we might actually end up finding a bullpen arm or two among the 192 AAA SP projects he's been stockpiling.

38 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Sounds good, more money for the pen and 2B.

another theory on Eppler - he's targeting former prospects of certain teams.  We've been all over Cinnci guy lately.  I wonder is there is some thought that they don't do a very good job.  

Lamb was solid in 2014 and very good in 2015 at AAA.  Then the Reds broke him.  Even though he started at a younger age, his career arc is similar to Meyer but we got this guy for free.  

18 hours ago, totdprods said:

Eppler is bringing in so many mid-20's dudes with loads of potential and club control, I have to assume he's thinking more about this club's potential a year or two out than he is 2017. He has virtually rebuilt the 'farm' system to supply the big league team. It's crude and duct-taped together, but it's been an impressive effort to make something out of nothing.

He isn't punting this coming year, but he's really looking at guys who, if they realize their potential, are benefitting the club for years to come instead of quick fix guys for '17. Going to be a lot of auditioning this year.

I don't believe Eppler has taken his eyes off the prize for 2017. His plan is to win now and build a farm along the way. 

Arte may have gotten punched in the face a few times but he isn't afraid to fight back, now.

7 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I don't believe Eppler has taken his eyes off the prize for 2017. His plan is to win now and build a farm along the way. 

Arte may have gotten punched in the face a few times but he isn't afraid to fight back now.

I think Eppler knows when you've got Mike Trout and a decent supporting cast of Simmons, Calhoun, Cron, Pujols, Skaggs, Shoe, Bedrosian, and Richards, there's always a chance they can make the playoffs. The core of this team really is good enough to compete year in and year out. 

On 12/2/2016 at 4:12 PM, Dochalo said:

another theory on Eppler - he's targeting former prospects of certain teams.  We've been all over Cinnci guy lately.  I wonder is there is some thought that they don't do a very good job.  

Lamb was solid in 2014 and very good in 2015 at AAA.  Then the Reds broke him.  Even though he started at a younger age, his career arc is similar to Meyer but we got this guy for free.  

Bad development coaching on the Reds farm?

On December 2, 2016 at 7:08 PM, hangin n wangin said:

For the record, I don't mind Nolasco. I just don't think he's very good. I think he's a viable option as a back end starter and I see Eppler's thought process. Just saying that expectations need to be tempered with him. He has career number 5 starter numbers, so it would be unrealistic to think he will pitch as good as he did with us (3.21 ERA).

Whatever it was, 11 starts and a 3.21 ERA is encouraging....When you consider the Angels are only obligated for one more year (with a team option), he just needs to keep it up for awhile...

Thoughts on going after Chase Headley and moving Escobar to 2b? He's signed just through 2018 and is still and above average defender at third and comes with a decent bat from the left side(switch hitter). Yankees are trying to shed payroll so maybe he wouldn't cost too much prospect wise. 

5 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

For the record, I'm pretty excited for this weeks GM meetings.  I think Eppler is going to makes a couple moderate moves that are going to be a really good for the team.

I agree. I think he's going to be more active than we expect and I predict at least one trade or FA of significant impact comes in. A couple of relievers signed and some pitching dealt for a 2B is my guess.