• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Angels Hot Stove - Winter Meetings - Rumors thread

Chuck

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Claude this isn't the normal you and me shit, but who is this youth?  How do you acquire this youth without giving up your talent to get the youth?  Signing a guy like this allows you to keep the farm, allow those guys to develop, especially since by all reports we have zero 2nd base prospects minus Fletcher, and we have been given no indication that he will be ready any time soon.  A one year deal for someone like this doesn't prevent any future signings at all, nor does it prevent some deserving young player from a starting role.  Now if we didn't sign a guy like Utley and started a guy like Pennington, and that money allowed us to solve another position long term then ok.  But I don't see that being the case either, unless it went towards a Turner or Nova type signing.  I understand that you are against mega deals, and you seem to be against spending money on a guy like Turner because of your perception of where the team is compared to a team like the Cubs, but what is the harm of a one year deal for a 2nd baseman, when your alternative is a guy like Pennington?

This is exactly true! For once we're in a position to not sell the farm(not that we have it) but what we do have we don't lose. I'm dead against Nova though anyone, but him

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Claude this isn't the normal you and me shit, but who is this youth?  How do you acquire this youth without giving up your talent to get the youth?  Signing a guy like this allows you to keep the farm, allow those guys to develop, especially since by all reports we have zero 2nd base prospects minus Fletcher, and we have been given no indication that he will be ready any time soon.  A one year deal for someone like this doesn't prevent any future signings at all, nor does it prevent some deserving young player from a starting role.  Now if we didn't sign a guy like Utley and started a guy like Pennington, and that money allowed us to solve another position long term then ok.  But I don't see that being the case either, unless it went towards a Turner or Nova type signing.  I understand that you are against mega deals, and you seem to be against spending money on a guy like Turner because of your perception of where the team is compared to a team like the Cubs, but what is the harm of a one year deal for a 2nd baseman, when your alternative is a guy like Pennington?

Well it all depends on what you consider a competitive championship type team should look like. Does Utley (who probably won't find another job) make such a big difference that we could actually overtake the Mariners, Astros and the Rangers. Have we fallen into that type of desperation that we will now need to employ a 38 year old starting 2B? 

I see Utley as a 38 year old player trying to make one last money grab. I don't make that deal. If we do, we are part of the 50' of crap Billy Beane was referring to. We can give Pennington and Cowart 2B for 2017. It's not like we have enough firepower or pitching to compete with the best anyway. 

I'm on the 2018 bandwagon already. There will be more money off the books and much better talent available. We've had some setbacks with our pitching for 2017 and it's wishful thinking that we will do any better than 2016.

Ok, so no harm, got it.  You vilainizing older players as greedy money grabbers it pretty pathetic.  So if he would be unemployed if the Angels don't sign him, I am willing to bet that that isn't the case.  But if you, a fan, think that he will be unemployed if he isn't on the Angels, then the Angels certainly know this.  So then they could sign him to $1 million contract.  Once again no harm.  I would much rather go into the season with a guy like Utley than Cowart, and I am a fan of Cowart.  Then again, if Arte turns around and spends on other needs and leaves 2nd base alone, ok, it would be stupid but ok.  There are plenty of useful players available Utley is just one of them.  If he was blocking someone that would be different.  Right now he would be blocking Pennington, who isn't the future and a third baseman.  Also Billy Beane is so over rated it isn't funny.  I could see you being a fan of him, and I don't mean that disrespectfully.  It's just you like small market baseball and youth.  That team is a revolving door of youth.  

Thr Angels made a trade. Brooks Pounders has a cool name.

Local from Temecula.

Right-hander Brooks Pounders, who has had multiple stints on the Royals’ big-league roster, was Omaha’s pitcher of the year after recording a 3.14 ERA (28 ER in 80  1/3 innings) in 31 appearances (seven starts) for the Storm Chasers.

4 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Clean peanuts are cool....Dirty ones not so much~

3 hours ago, oater said:

Our friend Jeff Fletcher reports that the Angels have signed another peanut, Tony Sanchez to a minor league contract:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sanchez-737092-angels-pick.html

2 hours ago, John Smith said:

Thr Angels made a trade. Brooks Pounders has a cool name.

I have no fuckin idea how the fuck anyone is supposed to keep track of this shit.

Get back to me in April.

5 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

I have no fuckin idea how the fuck anyone is supposed to keep track of this shit.

Get back to me in April.

Continue to read your Primers! :D

.... tiredly wants to go home and update Primer Part V: Bullpen to reflect the Pounders and Ege moves.... if only I had sent it yesterday to Chuck lol (he would have sent it back to me anyway asking me if I wanted to update it :D )