• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Coyotes announce plans for arena near ASU's Tempe campus

gotbeer

no doubt the coyotes have their passionate fans, but regularly we hear how bad their attendance is and how the team often seems thisclose to contraction or relocation.

i remember the roadrunners having good support, too. i wonder why it changed?

17 minutes ago, Tank said:

no doubt the coyotes have their passionate fans, but regularly we hear how bad their attendance is and how the team often seems thisclose to contraction or relocation.

i remember the roadrunners having good support, too. i wonder why it changed?

The vast majority of Coyotes fans are on the relatively more affluent east side of the valley so it should help in that regard and isn't too far from Scottsdale.  Glendale is a bitch to get to on weeknights.  The team needs stability. It wasn't that long ago that the Ducks were struggling with attendance issues and before that the Kings.  If your team was terrible and always on the verge of leaving, how much would you support it? Hockey tickets aren't cheap.   And it's like 10 minutes from Tempe Diablo. Some favorable scheduling luck could make for an epic Spring Training weekend for SoCal fans. Also I think Las Vegas will be a natural rival for the Yotes. Of course this deal isn't remotely set in stone yet. Arizona politics has really cranked down hard on stadium subsidies for pro teams, though teaming with ASU was pretty politically savvy.

On 11/15/2016 at 1:58 PM, Thomas said:

The vast majority of Coyotes fans are on the relatively more affluent east side of the valley so it should help in that regard and isn't too far from Scottsdale.  Glendale is a bitch to get to on weeknights.  The team needs stability. It wasn't that long ago that the Ducks were struggling with attendance issues and before that the Kings.  If your team was terrible and always on the verge of leaving, how much would you support it? Hockey tickets aren't cheap.   And it's like 10 minutes from Tempe Diablo. Some favorable scheduling luck could make for an epic Spring Training weekend for SoCal fans. Also I think Las Vegas will be a natural rival for the Yotes. Of course this deal isn't remotely set in stone yet. Arizona politics has really cranked down hard on stadium subsidies for pro teams, though teaming with ASU was pretty politically savvy.

agreed, if they can make this happen it would be huge.  A very significant part of the attendance problem is the stadiums location out in Glendale.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 1:58 PM, Thomas said:

Also I think Las Vegas will be a natural rival for the Yotes. 

There was once talk of the Coyotes moving here, but Bill Foley was dead set on starting an organization from scratch rather than buying an existing franchise and taking on whatever baggage came with it.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Tank said:

what happened?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2017/02/03/asu-pulls-out-plan-bring-arizona-coyotes-tempe/97460974/

Apparently state money allocated for ASU would be difficult to keep separated from the non-ASU party, the Coyotes, and ASU didn't want to jeopardize the funding.