• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What Andrew Bailey is doing.. is what we hoped from Ryan Madson?

SPORTS

Injury-plagued Andrew Bailey appreciates Angels giving him an opportunity

od7iv4-b88793488z.120160908153555000gk5i
Five years worth of injuries, the most serious leading to career-threatening shoulder surgery, made relief pitcher Andrew Bailey, 32, all the more appreciative that the Angels gave him a shot this summer. ‘I could have gotten on the horse and rode into the sunset, but I feel like I have a great opportunity here to prove myself again,' he said.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bailey-728360-league-angels.html Rest of the article here

Except I think expectations were higher with Madson. There really are no expectations with Bailey--he's another shot in the dark by Eppler.

Actually, Bailey MAY (assuming he continues pitching well) support what Eppler is doing: scouring for players who can be had cheaply (or freely) and have some upside.

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

So I'm all for Eppler and his show 'GM Pickers', but opportunities come in this regard when you aren't doing something well and it becomes an in season tryout.  9 of the 16 pitchers on our 25 man roster weren't even in the organization when we started the season.  

Pretty much. Intriguing arms pass through waivers with pretty high frequency. In addition, there are always guys coming back from injury who maybe can be had on minor league deals. Taking chances on guys like that is what we should be doing when we have so many roster spots taken by easily-replaced filler. If you take chances on enough guys like Bailey, some of them will stick eventually.