• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

iPhone 7 announcement thread

red321

On 10/28/2016 at 0:05 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

What did you think of it?

The touch bar looks cool/interesting, if not gimmicky. We'll see how it works in practice. I use my MBP closed 90% of the time though, so these won't get much play. I don't mind the loss of the usb ports as I run all my accessories through my LG thunderbolt monitor.

Can't say I'm happy, or surprised at the loss of card reader port. As a photographer / videographer I use that port all the time, more than any other.

Loss of MagSafe makes me sad. Macs have had the single best power port of any laptop I've ever used. They should make every port magnetic! 

The processor is a generation old. I believe this was to include the iris pro graphics chip that intel has dropped? The specs in general are not too much better than my maxed out late 2013 model. This implies to me that we are likely to get bigger spec upgrades in future models. 

All in all I'm probably still a couple years away from upgrading. Depends on how much I can fetch for this one.

i already ordered mine. will be here in 2-4 weeks.

got the 2.9 gig chip and better gpu, but i'll probably never use the graphics capabilities. im bummed it tops out at 16gig of mem. 

emoji bar is whatever, i'll probably never use it. 

removing SD cards is a big slap to photographers, who have basically used their $$ to push the macbook in popularity (along with silicon valley companies, its all macbooks up here)

stupid they are taking away all the ports. i remember when they removed the ethernet port and made us get dongles, seriously?

now its 4 usb-c and a headphone jack only.

lame but whatever.

I'm not sure how much a slap in the face the removal of the SD card reader is to photographers...standard SD card readers are slow...really slow....I cannot explain how excruciatingly slow they are, especially when you are talking cards 32-64gb cards. Anyone ingesting a large number of images is using an external card reader that is a lot faster, and if they aren't...they really don't value their time.

And let's be realistic...you aren't ingesting cards that size onto your laptop on a regular basis anyways...you'd fill up a hard drive in a heartbeat. You already have a storage solution setup that requires either network connectivity or usb drives. If you are traveling and ingesting cards in the field, you are bringing two external hard drives with you...a primary and a backup.

2 hours ago, red321 said:

I'm not sure how much a slap in the face the removal of the SD card reader is to photographers...standard SD card readers are slow...really slow....I cannot explain how excruciatingly slow they are, especially when you are talking cards 32-64gb cards. Anyone ingesting a large number of images is using an external card reader that is a lot faster, and if they aren't...they really don't value their time.

And let's be realistic...you aren't ingesting cards that size onto your laptop on a regular basis anyways...you'd fill up a hard drive in a heartbeat. You already have a storage solution setup that requires either network connectivity or usb drives. If you are traveling and ingesting cards in the field, you are bringing two external hard drives with you...a primary and a backup.

yeah, that makes sense.

its also why apple said its not that big of a deal, most photographers use external drives / backups anyway like you said.

i havent stuck an SD card into a laptop in ages. i might stick it into a card reader, but rarely do i expect to have SD right there on the box.

but im not a legit photographer so i dont use SD cards anyway

USB-C will read them off crazy fast i'm sure 

2 hours ago, red321 said:

Is that really true? It doesn't make much sense to me that a SD card hooked up through a USB3 dongle would be faster than just the card slot built directly into the machine.

I do a lot of field work and it can be nice showing clients shots on the laptop screen, or in some cases on a tv screen without needing anything other than the computer. I've been on tons of video shoots where I'm downloading the card through the SD slot and backing up to multiple external drives at the same time. I've used a dongle back when I was using CF cards but I don't remember that being any faster.

When I'm at home I typically work off the files locally, and back them up to my network raid in the background. After I deliver to the client it gets deleted. I have the 500GB drive, and have no issues with space (I have about 14TB in the raid).

Do you use a MBP or do you have a different set up?

3 hours ago, mrwicked said:

i already ordered mine. will be here in 2-4 weeks.

got the 2.9 gig chip and better gpu, but i'll probably never use the graphics capabilities. im bummed it tops out at 16gig of mem. 

emoji bar is whatever, i'll probably never use it. 

removing SD cards is a big slap to photographers, who have basically used their $$ to push the macbook in popularity (along with silicon valley companies, its all macbooks up here)

stupid they are taking away all the ports. i remember when they removed the ethernet port and made us get dongles, seriously?

now its 4 usb-c and a headphone jack only.

lame but whatever.

Would you have still bought it if not for Apple making Xcode Mac only? I'd definitely be considering a Surface if I was in the market right now, but I've been getting into front end design lately and everything in so mac-centric in that field.

31 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Is that really true? It doesn't make much sense to me that a SD card hooked up through a USB3 dongle would be faster than just the card slot built directly into the machine.

I do a lot of field work and it can be nice showing clients shots on the laptop screen, or in some cases on a tv screen without needing anything other than the computer. I've been on tons of video shoots where I'm downloading the card through the SD slot and backing up to multiple external drives at the same time. I've used a dongle back when I was using CF cards but I don't remember that being any faster.

When I'm at home I typically work off the files locally, and back them up to my network raid in the background. After I deliver to the client it gets deleted. I have the 500GB drive, and have no issues with space (I have about 14TB in the raid).

Do you use a MBP or do you have a different set up?

There are three primary items that impact speed when reading the card. Read/Write speed of the card (for example UHC-I and UHC-II). Transfer rate (USB2, USB3, etc.). And lastly the speed of the reader and transfer rate of the reader itself. The card readers included in the computers are standard run of the fair readers for the most part. For another $30-$40 you can get a much faster reader. When I'm loading large cards, that is all I use.

I have a MBP, but I only use it when traveling. For example here is how I handled Europe. I created a new lightroom catalog. I brought two drives. I loaded cards into the LR catalog and had them imported onto both drives. That way if one drive went bad, I had a backup. I did my catalog work while traveling (trains/flights, etc). I could edit photos and publish them in the field, etc. When I returned home I had a few thousand images. I exported the catalog on the MBP, copied the catalog to my primary desktop. I copied the images from my portable drive onto my photo storage drive at home. I then imported the catalog and pointed the catalog at the images I copied over.

I could see if you are in the field doing a client shoot how it would be beneficial to review it in real time, but I think that would drive getting a better card reader to speed up the process. Nothing more exciting than watching the status bar creep slowly along.

And another item...most high end photographers using pro level dSLRs would have CF cards, not SD cards anyways...so they would need a reader as well for field work.

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Would you have still bought it if not for Apple making Xcode Mac only? I'd definitely be considering a Surface if I was in the market right now, but I've been getting into front end design lately and everything in so mac-centric in that field.

i dont do anything with xcode, so doesnt affect me at all. i write software for cloud infrastructure.

a few of us at my work needed new MBPs so we wanted for the release and ordered them.

yeah the new surface desktop is INSANE sexy. i would potentially be all over that for home use when i need an upgrade there.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2017 at 0:55 PM, mrwicked said:

the dongle thing is just annoying as f*ck. i have 0 usb-c externals, so need adapter for everything.

It's funny, I still only use one of the thunderbolt ports on mine for my external monitor... though I do hook up a lot of my peripherals to the monitor. It's like every MBP comes future proof, but for a future that may never come, and all while neglecting the present.

On 1/23/2017 at 3:28 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

It's funny, I still only use one of the thunderbolt ports on mine for my external monitor... though I do hook up a lot of my peripherals to the monitor. It's like every MBP comes future proof, but for a future that may never come, and all while neglecting the present.

yeah, i use my thunderbolt display for peripherals too.

but you can't daisey chain the thunderbolt's magsafe power anymore! ugh. so now i have 2 power cables, one for monitor and one for mbp. lame.

i dont have a thunderbolt at my work, i have a big ass 34" display. which means it can't operate as my peripherals hub anymore. so there i need, again 2 power cables, and also a triple-input dongle for usb/hdmi/etc.

the power thing is the most annoying.