• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

iPhone 7 announcement thread

red321

4 hours ago, red321 said:

I've had to ditch a scanner in the past, not a drum scanner, but a fairly pricey flatbad scanner. Unfortunately it happens all the time. Luckily for him old macs can run forever.

Has he tried firewire to usb instead of lightening connector? I've used that for an old portable hard drive before. You can also buy firewire cards for a pc. Hell, I probably have one laying around somewhere if they can't find one to buy.

I'm not sure.  He's a tech savvy guy and has been in contact with the manufacturer, so I assume every option has been exhausted.  IIRC, the problem is two-fold in both the firmware and software for getting around the Firewire issue. 

4 hours ago, nate said:

Yeah firewire cards are a dime a dozen and still work perfectly on a PC.  You can even get them for a Mac as long as it isn't an iMac.

His drum scanner software is Mac-only.   But yeah, I'm not sure why the latter option wouldn't work.

4 hours ago, red321 said:

By the way...who is this guy that would require a drum scanner for 120 slides in this day and age? That's pretty awesome. One of the things holding me back from shooting more film is it's such a pain in the ass to process and digitize.

He inherited a 120 camera as a kid and liked it so much, 120 became his 'normal' format until the digital age.  To be honest, I think he bought the drum scanner because his uncle(?) took many rare historical shots on 120 film and he wanted to archive them for posterity sake. 

I feel the same way about film. 

2 hours ago, nate said:

I have a 6+.  Sticking with it til next Sept probably.

i'm eligible for an upgrade now, but my two year contract runs through february and i'd like to make sure that money i spent to get my iphone 6 is spent over the entire length of my contract. i have no interest right now in getting locked into a monthly payment plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Makes sense though.  With wireless charging on my Galaxy S7, and considering when I listen to music using headphones, they are bluetooth.  I rarely plug anything into my phone.  I guess the exceptions are if my headphones die, or if I need to juice box my phone.  But even if I need to juice box my phone, they do sell wireless batteries now. 

• 3 weeks later...

yeah i had my previous company buy me one 3 months ago, knowing full well the new one was coming out. but my screen was hosed so had no choice. will add to my pile of like 8 macbook/thinkpad laptops floating around my place. i still have a 2011 17" behemoth macbook pro that makes a great doorstop.

this new on will be my every day though. 

6 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

yeah i had my previous company buy me one 3 months ago, knowing full well the new one was coming out. but my screen was hosed so had no choice. will add to my pile of like 8 macbook/thinkpad laptops floating around my place. i still have a 2011 17" behemoth macbook pro that makes a great doorstop.

this new on will be my every day though. 

I know a guy who needs a new phone 

21 hours ago, mrwicked said:

new macbook pro finally announced.

yay. 

and updates to appletv are always badass.

Why does Apple TV still only support 1080p and HDCP 1.4?

Even the crappy Roku supports 2160p and UHD.

On 10/27/2016 at 11:20 AM, mrwicked said:

new macbook pro finally announced.

yay. 

and updates to appletv are always badass.

What did you think of it?

The touch bar looks cool/interesting, if not gimmicky. We'll see how it works in practice. I use my MBP closed 90% of the time though, so these won't get much play. I don't mind the loss of the usb ports as I run all my accessories through my LG thunderbolt monitor.

Can't say I'm happy, or surprised at the loss of card reader port. As a photographer / videographer I use that port all the time, more than any other.

Loss of MagSafe makes me sad. Macs have had the single best power port of any laptop I've ever used. They should make every port magnetic! 

The processor is a generation old. I believe this was to include the iris pro graphics chip that intel has dropped? The specs in general are not too much better than my maxed out late 2013 model. This implies to me that we are likely to get bigger spec upgrades in future models. 

All in all I'm probably still a couple years away from upgrading. Depends on how much I can fetch for this one.