• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

iPhone 7 announcement thread

red321

15 hours ago, nate said:

In the end all their bellyaching and opinions is shit because Apple absolutely dominates the competition.

Remember they were the first ones to get rid of serial ports, and floppy drives, and cd drives, etc.  It has worked well for them.  USB is an Apple invention.

Um no it isn't.  It was created at Intel. 

10 hours ago, mp170.6 said:

And every time, Apple screwed the customer over.

There's a lot of niche peripherals that rely exclusively on Serial Ports, Firewire, USB, etc that will never be replaced or upgraded.  red321 could relate to this -- my friend shot thousands of rolls of 120mm slide film.  He purchased a very high end scanner some years ago that uses Firewire ports, which were somewhat exclusive to Apple computers.  He now has to retain an older Mac in perpetuity because a newer 120 scanner of that caliber will never become reality.  Interface issues are bound to happen with any piece of technology, but in his case, Apple ditched Firewire within a couple years of buying the scanner.

A Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter wouldn't work?

37 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

He tried that and it won't work.

By the way, Nate, this is not some cheap scanner you're thinking of.  It's a drum scanner that cost him $10k-20k.  There's simply nothing like it.  

This can't be an unique issue. Usually (not always) a vendor would support situations like this.

13 minutes ago, Thomas said:

This can't be an unique issue. Usually (not always) a vendor would support situations like this.

Drum scanners are so rare that he's apparently stuck, and the vendor is no help.

Back to Apple for a second, for a company that cherishes its legacy so much, you'd think they would embrace legacy functionality a bit more.  Or at least care about the people they inconvenience with that "courage".

1 minute ago, nate said:

If it is a Hasseblad, the only kind of scanner that would ever reach that price range, then he should just sell it and buy a newer one.

Then again if it is a Hasselblad then they would support new interfaces, they are an insanely good company.

There were multiple companies back in the day whose prices were in the five figures.  I don't know their names off the top of my head because I was never in the market for one.

Because of the interface issue, he can't simply sell it and buy a new one.  The resale value is shot, and I'm not even sure drum scanners are being made anymore.  I know this thread was about the iPhone 7 so sorry I ventured so far off topic.  Apple can be really frustrating at times.  Microsoft too, just as bad, if not worse.

1 hour ago, mp170.6 said:

Drum scanners are so rare that he's apparently stuck, and the vendor is no help.

Yeah I deal with that a lot with lab equipment vendors. Rare enough the sales reps can name all the users they've sold units to. I still imagine there is a solution but it admittedly may not be worth the effort to find it with an currently "working" solution.

47 minutes ago, nate said:

That is always the case with technology.  @Blarg can prove me wrong but in my experience you walk into a TV editing studio or magazine production studio and you will find lots of old tech around in order to continue using some of the devices they rely on.

Welcome to proprietary hell.

On September 8, 2016 at 0:04 PM, nate said:

That is always the case with technology.  @Blarg can prove me wrong but in my experience you walk into a TV editing studio or magazine production studio and you will find lots of old tech around in order to continue using some of the devices they rely on.

There is an interesting documentary on netflix about archiving media. They apparently have started archiving the playback hardware along with the media to ensure the ability to play things back in the future. Now a days we digitize things, and store them on hard drives, but digital files rely on codecs and software in order to open and decode the files. As time goes on software is lost, and codecs become obsolete and forgotten. The conclusion was that archiving movies on reels of film was the best method for long term preservation because as long as you can focus a beam of light you can project a movie. The irony, of course, is that digital is killing film and it might not be too long before such such a process is simply too cost prohibitive to maintain. 

don't forget another reason to drop the headphone jack for proprietary connector: apple pay.

all those mobile card readers (square, paypal, quickbooks, payanywhere, etc) just went POOF in favor of apple pay.

sure they'll work with a goofy dongle, but it's gonna be sh*tty since you have no firm base now.

3 hours ago, nate said:

They can just make a new version that plugs into lightning instead of 3.5mm.

Right. But the current ones become essentially useless. Apple owns lightning. So they will charge a license fee per device to be able to crank those out. Or decide to now allow it.

Either way, more money for AAPL  (applepay and lightning licensing fees).

On 9/8/2016 at 11:47 AM, mp170.6 said:

Back to Apple for a second, for a company that cherishes its legacy so much, you'd think they would embrace legacy functionality a bit more.  Or at least care about the people they inconvenience with that "courage".

I've had to ditch a scanner in the past, not a drum scanner, but a fairly pricey flatbad scanner. Unfortunately it happens all the time. Luckily for him old macs can run forever.

Has he tried firewire to usb instead of lightening connector? I've used that for an old portable hard drive before. You can also buy firewire cards for a pc. Hell, I probably have one laying around somewhere if they can't find one to buy.

my wife went in to the apple store on friday and ended up replacing her phone with an iphone 6s plus. discoverd that apple is no longer doing the 2-year deal where you buy the phone outright. you either pay the full price now, which is around $700 or so, or you go on a monthly pay plan. not sure of all the details yet, but someone on the radio said it's apple's way of taking more control. no doubt.

p.s. wife chose the monthly payment plan.

46 minutes ago, Tank said:

my wife went in to the apple store on friday and ended up replacing her phone with an iphone 6s plus. discoverd that apple is no longer doing the 2-year deal where you buy the phone outright. you either pay the full price now, which is around $700 or so, or you go on a monthly pay plan. not sure of all the details yet, but someone on the radio said it's apple's way of taking more control. no doubt.

p.s. wife chose the monthly payment plan.

Wh...why?  New phone comes out Friday.