• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kaepernick sits during national anthem, and 49ers defend him

I agree with Lou. I learned Spanish living with my childhood friends family. My buddy was first generation here. They only spoke Spanish in the house and I learned quick that I had to adapt or die.

I was never fluent, but could hold my own and even did mortgages for people in a weird Spanglish format. Now I can probably read and know enough to make jokes, but can't speak it like I used to because I'm not around it anymore. I try to keep the knife sharpened by joking and talking in Spanish with Latin descents, but it's not enough.

True story and while I shouldn't say this I'm deleting my account this week, so it doesn't matter. I was in jail but a non-violent criminal, so I was thrown in an easy going pod. We had certain rules where you had to eat and shower with your race, but during open area no one really cared if you intermingled with different races.....I taught some black dude how to play poker in exchange for him teaching me chess. On the same token I am big into soccer and the best Mexican player at the time was Chicharito who also played for my favorite team, Manchester United. Ironically, the eses didn't care that a peckerwood was in their area, but the pisas were. Luckily, because Chicharito was so big in Mexico he was all over the Spanish newspapers which meant Manchester Uniter were, too, and that's how I got to keep up with the season and stats. I remember they would test me and could see that I could read and comprehend. Never had an issue walking over to the Mexican side after and grabbing the newspaper after that.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I agree with Lou. I learned Spanish living with my childhood friends family. My buddy was first generation here. They only spoke Spanish in the house and I learned quick that I had to adapt or die.

I was never fluent, but could hold my own and even did mortgages for people in a weird Spanglish format. Now I can probably read and know enough to make jokes, but can't speak it like I used to because I'm not around it anymore. I try to keep the knife sharpened by joking and talking in Spanish with Latin descents, but it's not enough.

True story and while I shouldn't say this I'm deleting my account this week, so it doesn't matter. I was in jail but a non-violent criminal, so I was thrown in an easy going pod. We had certain rules where you had to eat and shower with your race, but during open area no one really cared if you intermingled with different races.....I taught some black dude how to play poker in exchange for him teaching me chess. On the same token I am big into soccer and the best Mexican player at the time was Chicharito who also played for my favorite team, Manchester United. Ironically, the eses didn't care that a peckerwood was in their area, but the pisas were. Luckily, because Chicharito was so big in Mexico he was all over the Spanish newspapers which meant Manchester Uniter were, too, and that's how I got to keep up with the season and stats. I remember they would test me and could see that I could read and comprehend. Never had an issue walking over to the Mexican side after and grabbing the newspaper after that.

At least you put in the effort to learn.

Good story about jail. Survival skills.

Edited by Redondo

14 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I don't disagree at all.  My point is right now so many people or businesses are getting blasted for what they say, don't say or because they don't say enough for some people.  Whatever anyone feels about kneeling during the anthem that's their right it's just a powder keg right now because of everything going on.  There's a local gym that apparently didn't jump on making the standard social media post about the current situation quick enough.  One woman responded asking what they're going to do to accommodate African Americans in light of everything going on.  It's a gym that anyone can join and she's angling for a discount.  This is only one woman but before the business could respond other people started posting insinuating they were racist because they didn't respond quick enough.  It reminds me of people getting tired of being told they needed to care about every little thing or that they didn't care enough that in a way helped Trump get elected.

This is why aliens will destroy us if they ever show up. People suck

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

You’re deleting your account?

3 hours ago, Jason said:

You’re deleting your account?

1 hour ago, Redondo said:

I saw that also. 

@Brandon why?

Eh, we'll see. I might keep this one open and pop in like some of the older vets.

Hopefully I don't go into some longwinded diatribe, but for a while now I have been reading about people going off the grid or just simply disconnecting. Probably came up with my plan and idea towards the end of last year of taking a life break. I have been reading or listening to people talk about closing their social media accounts and simply turning off their phones. I never had a Twitter (except for a very small window and it was only for poker), Instagram, Snapchat, and whatever else there is. I have a Facebook, but it is mainly to keep in touch with the fam in KC, it reminds me of peoples birthdays, my buddy for close to 20 years who I haven't seen since I moved out to OC send me silly shit in the messenger, and overall just me posting food pics, old pics of the pup I had, and the random joke meme. 

But you just see how dumb people are and their intentions.

It's kind of funny, I came up with this idea a while ago then Covid killed my timeline and now this George Floyd issue, I'm just tired of society. I wanted to delete my minimal accounts and shut off my phone and leave on some weird life sabbatical. I have an idea of what I want to do, but at the same time no plans. But yes, I want to step away from everything at some point.

I can understand that.  Social media isn't for me as the only page I have is LinkedIn for professional purposes.  At times I've thought about starting a facebook page to connect with friends I've lost touch with but I see updates on the iPad app for my wife's account which she doesn't use and realize it's not for me.  The most vocal people on there always seem to be railing on about the same things which are usually political while the people that jump on whatever the current trend or cause is are posting that stuff.  To each their own but that just doesn't appeal to me.  Right now in particular I've thought about how nice it would be to live somewhere more laid back.  Partly because of what's going on but also because I've always wanted out of the rat race.  Watched a show last night that took place in Montana and while I'm sure my CA born ass couldn't handle the winters I would love to spend serious time somewhere like that to fish, camp, stay in a cabin and completely de-connect. 

55 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Eh, we'll see. I might keep this one open and pop in like some of the older vets.

Hopefully I don't go into some longwinded diatribe, but for a while now I have been reading about people going off the grid or just simply disconnecting. Probably came up with my plan and idea towards the end of last year of taking a life break. I have been reading or listening to people talk about closing their social media accounts and simply turning off their phones. I never had a Twitter (except for a very small window and it was only for poker), Instagram, Snapchat, and whatever else there is. I have a Facebook, but it is mainly to keep in touch with the fam in KC, it reminds me of peoples birthdays, my buddy for close to 20 years who I haven't seen since I moved out to OC send me silly shit in the messenger, and overall just me posting food pics, old pics of the pup I had, and the random joke meme. 

But you just see how dumb people are and their intentions.

It's kind of funny, I came up with this idea a while ago then Covid killed my timeline and now this George Floyd issue, I'm just tired of society. I wanted to delete my minimal accounts and shut off my phone and leave on some weird life sabbatical. I have an idea of what I want to do, but at the same time no plans. But yes, I want to step away from everything at some point.

Best of luck to you and hopefully you get back to KC. Chiefs should be good for a few years

2 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I can understand that.  Social media isn't for me as the only page I have is LinkedIn for professional purposes.  At times I've thought about starting a facebook page to connect with friends I've lost touch with but I see updates on the iPad app for my wife's account which she doesn't use and realize it's not for me.  The most vocal people on there always seem to be railing on about the same things which are usually political while the people that jump on whatever the current trend or cause is are posting that stuff.  To each their own but that just doesn't appeal to me.  Right now in particular I've thought about how nice it would be to live somewhere more laid back.  Partly because of what's going on but also because I've always wanted out of the rat race.  Watched a show last night that took place in Montana and while I'm sure my CA born ass couldn't handle the winters I would love to spend serious time somewhere like that to fish, camp, stay in a cabin and completely de-connect. 

Yeah, this is kind of the plan. I think my views changed a lot when my father passed in 2008 and I was going out to KC a lot, as I didn't really know them growing up out here. You see how they focus on quality of life and being good people while we worry about if we want a Benz or a BMW.....like you said, the rat race.

Part of it is that Facebook changed as I have. I was scrolling through my timeline and I haven't even really used it in the past 3-4 years. I noticed that when they introduced the "hide" function more than half my friends list were there for being annoying and I just kept certain friends/family, business associates, and mainly companies I liked that I wanted updates on. But now I just see a lot of misguided posts/info, their data collection, and targeting spamming of ads. I won't miss it.