• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels renew stadium talks with Anaheim after striking out in Tustin

1 hour ago, Ace_Shoemaker said:

Steve Balmer is worth $27.5B. He could build a new arena and barely notice it. I would hurt him about as much as it would hurt me to buy a used car. I doubt Arte could afford to build a new stadium on his own. There is wealth and there is super wealth.

You know how people pay for stuff like stadiums right? It's not like he has to right a 500 million dollar check. The stadium will pay for itself with revenue he generates from the stadium. These owners aren't building arenas and owning sports teams because they are losing money. They are making bank especially football and baseball owners. Arte signed a what 1 or 2 billion dollar television contract and that's just tv. Think revenue from the stadium. Food contracts. Marketing with naming rights and signage at the stadium. Tickets for games and leasing out for other events. Please don't cry poor for Arte he's doing just fine 

He's rich because he was at the right place, at the right time, with the right resume and willing to take chances. I'm sure he has made some good investments on his own, but without Microsoft he wouldn't be so rich.

Haha I love people who are just well this guys worth billions but it is all luck. My goodness. I'm guessing you think Phelps was just in the right swimming lane. I'm sure he's not a tireless worker making sacrifices to be the best and is gifted physically. 

It would take a very long time for an owner to make his money back on a billion dollar ball park.  When I say a long time I mean Arte wouldn't be alive to see it turn a profit.  I realized this the other night when we were talking about it and I said to tax the people that attend games.  Then when I started doing the math, it would take forever. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Haha I love people who are just well this guys worth billions but it is all luck. My goodness. I'm guessing you think Phelps was just in the right swimming lane. I'm sure he's not a tireless worker making sacrifices to be the best and is gifted physically. 

His point was there are smart guys everywhere, he happened to be on the ground floor of Microsoft.  He could have been on the ground floor of Texas Instruments and made some money, but not $26 billion.  Smart guy, right place, right time type of thing.  He wasn't diminishing what he has done. 

Just now, Stradling said:

It would take a very long time for an owner to make his money back on a billion dollar ball park.  When I say a long time I mean Arte wouldn't be alive to see it turn a profit.  I realized this the other night when we were talking about it and I said to tax the people that attend games.  Then when I started doing the math, it would take forever. 

I doubt he needs to spend a billion to build a stadium. But even say he needs to spend a billion. He's already made what 2 billion on the tv contract? He would be fine financially especially because ticket prices would rise, marketing, etc. But see that's what I'm talking about Strad why would you want the city residents to fork over that kind of tax revenue. That will only fatten the owners wallets it won't have an economic impact that benefits the residents it would only cost them more and more money 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

His point was there are smart guys everywhere, he happened to be on the ground floor of Microsoft.  He could have been on the ground floor of Texas Instruments and made some money, but not $26 billion.  Smart guy, right place, right time type of thing.  He wasn't diminishing what he has done. 

Ok. I just can't stand that oh your lucky you did this and that. Sure some is luck but it's about the hard work and being a stud at what you do. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

Ok. I just can't stand that oh your lucky you did this and that. Sure some is luck but it's about the hard work and being a stud at what you do. 

When you think of Microsoft give me in order the names that come to mind as a reason for their success. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

When you think of Microsoft give me in order the names that come to mind as a reason for their success. 

I'm not a Microsoft guy so pardon me. I didn't know Balmer was there from the beginning. But Balmer was CEO for a good what 15 years. I just did a Google search cause really that's the only thing I knew about him was that he was CEO after Gates. But hey guy went to Harvard and Stanford not bad for a guy who just got lucky. He was CEO when Microsoft started X Box which the only thing of Microsoft I buy now. But if to answer your question before googling him the three names I know is Gates Allen and Balmer.  

3 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Arte could probably find a partner to help him buy the stadium and the land at a fair market value but he just turned 70 yesterday and his family is probably in his ear about cashing in his chips. 

What is all this he's gonna sell talk. I may be mistaken but I don't think I've ever heard Arte hint at selling the team. But I definitely could be wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

What is all this he's gonna sell talk. I may be mistaken but I don't think I've ever heard Arte hint at selling the team. But I definitely could be wrong. 

Yea he mentioned in the offseason that his kids weren't as big of baseball fans as he was so it probably isn't something he would leave to his kids. 

4 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Arte was asked by a reporter if he thought about selling the team a couple of seasons ago. 

In that brief conversation Arte did mention that if the price was right he would listen. 

I think Arte would sell to avoid paying for stadium renovations or having to sign Trout for $400M.

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Lots of cities add a tourism tax onto car rentals and hotel rooms to help subsidize this type of construction, so it doesn't affect the actual residents of the city as much as it does the tourists.  Sadly, the Angels don't have that luxury with Disney. 

I love Disneyland/California Adventure, but let's be honest.    Disney should be paying a lot more than they are.   They have the golden goose, granted they have a much bigger overall profile than the Halos do.  

8 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Arte was asked by a reporter if he thought about selling the team a couple of seasons ago. 

In that brief conversation Arte did mention that if the price was right he would listen. 

I think Arte would sell to avoid paying for stadium renovations or having to sign Trout for $400M.

Sounds smart why wouldn't you sell at an all time high. Let's hope mr lucky Steve Balmer or Stan the man buys the team :)

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea he mentioned in the offseason that his kids weren't as big of baseball fans as he was so it probably isn't something he would leave to his kids. 

You have to think of the tax consequences also.  When we are talking a billion, the tax man is going to have a field day when he dies.  Especially with the new climate of tax the rich.  The heirs might get more, especially if they are uninterested in the product, if it was sold while he was alive and set up stuff for his heirs.  I'm sure Monkey can comment on it more.

3 hours ago, CALZONE said:

The city's obligation to Arte is to provide venue parking for the Angels games. They can still do that with parking structures, both overhead and underground. Disney would love to access that parking for employees and vendors on days that the stadium is idle.

No. The lease specifies the Angels' parking spaces have to be surface-level. You can't build parking structures, or much of anything else, without the Angels' OK.

As I see it, if Arte can get some kind of team friendly deal from Anaheim, he'd take it with the primary benefit of adding equity to the team's value.  Anaheim, for the reasons posted previously is probably not much in the mood for giving a handout.   I too see the potential for Arte selling...certainly not seeing interest from his heirs, mention in team operations, etc.  I see him selling in the next few years-with a tidy increase in team equity since the purchase.  But would like to hear from expert on inheritance taxes for ultra wealthy and how these properties are typically transferred. 

3 hours ago, Kevinb said:

So you think if Balmer had never met Gates he would still be worth $27B? Sure I am not saying he isn't smart, but timing didn't hurt. The world is full of highly intelligent people but very few with $27B.

So you think if Balmer had never met Gates he would still be worth $27B? Sure I am not saying he isn't smart, but timing didn't hurt. The world is full of highly intelligent people but very few with $27B.

Sure he's lucky he met him. But read his bio he was at proctor and gamble and went to Harvard and then Stanford. I just hate the luck thing people day. It diminishes in my mind hard work people put in. Luck is what happens when you put in the work and have the right relationships. It's not like he won the lotto. He was the CEO of Microsoft for 15 years. He must have done a couple things right. I dislike the luck thing because it's an excuse thing people who have things to complain about. It's the oh he's just lucky if my coach liked me as good as this player so and so would have been an all star. More than likely that guy screaming this guy was lucky js just bitter. Luck is a combination of great timing hard work being awesome at what you do and having the right relationships. Is Arte lucky the Angels were so cheap compared to now or was he smart to strike when the iron was hot. Sorry if it is a little rambling on a bit. 

I don't think the Angels can move anywhere close by -- Tustin was their best bet and, perhaps, downtown LA (at one time) but that looks lost now and the Dodgers would have never allowed it -- they probably couldn't stop it through MLB (because the Angels are, in fact, the 'second' LA franchise) but through the LA city council which, presumably bleeds blue enough to block any possible Halos move back closer to their original field - Wrigley Field - downtown LA.    

right now, the City of Anaheim has little incentive to offer up much to the Halos -- the Halos have now shown they can't move and need to extend this year as 2019 end of lease opt out time is approaching -- no way Halos could find a place to play by 2019 unless it's Dodger Stadium and that really didn't work out well for the Halos last time and it's simply not even an option..........so the Halos -- coming down the stretch with a .400 record and a lot of empty seats for the August/ Sept. home games don't have much leverage.

I expect a status quo type extension for five years or so with neither side committing much of anything in improved amenities for the ball park - perhaps a standard annual CPI index increase on the stadium lease..........l

lot of comments about how the new LA Dodgers ownership is 'doing it right' -- well, one thing those comments are forgetting is that to get all the revenue the Dogs need to 'do it right' they're doing their die-hard fans and all baseball fans in the greater LA region a true dis-service with the TV contract that got the Dodgers all that money and will continue to give them revenue (which they will need to replace lost fans) as most plain folks fans in the LA basin can't watch a Dodgers game on TV.......what I find amazing is that with no Dogs on TV, the Angels TV ratings have remained static and have not increased much with Dodger fans tuning in to at least watch a local game.......Angels picked a lousy time to play door mats......if Angels were in contention I gotta believe Dodger fans turn on the radio (or mobile device) listen to the Dogs game and watch the Halos games.........anyway, true baseball fan would.

8 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I don't think the Angels can move anywhere close by -- Tustin was their best bet and, perhaps, downtown LA (at one time) but that looks lost now and the Dodgers would have never allowed it -- they probably couldn't stop it through MLB (because the Angels are, in fact, the 'second' LA franchise) but through the LA city council which, presumably bleeds blue enough to block any possible Halos move back closer to their original field - Wrigley Field - downtown LA.    

right now, the City of Anaheim has little incentive to offer up much to the Halos -- the Halos have now shown they can't move and need to extend this year as 2019 end of lease opt out time is approaching -- no way Halos could find a place to play by 2019 unless it's Dodger Stadium and that really didn't work out well for the Halos last time and it's simply not even an option..........so the Halos -- coming down the stretch with a .400 record and a lot of empty seats for the August/ Sept. home games don't have much leverage.

I expect a status quo type extension for five years or so with neither side committing much of anything in improved amenities for the ball park - perhaps a standard annual CPI index increase on the stadium lease..........l

lot of comments about how the new LA Dodgers ownership is 'doing it right' -- well, one thing those comments are forgetting is that to get all the revenue the Dogs need to 'do it right' they're doing their die-hard fans and all baseball fans in the greater LA region a true dis-service with the TV contract that got the Dodgers all that money and will continue to give them revenue (which they will need to replace lost fans) as most plain folks fans in the LA basin can't watch a Dodgers game on TV.......what I find amazing is that with no Dogs on TV, the Angels TV ratings have remained static and have not increased much with Dodger fans tuning in to at least watch a local game.......Angels picked a lousy time to play door mats......if Angels were in contention I gotta believe Dodger fans turn on the radio (or mobile device) listen to the Dogs game and watch the Halos games.........anyway, true baseball fan would.

Theres not a chance in hell any other city in Orange County offers the Angels any type of money. Arte will either build his own stadium or he will sign the extension in 2019 and the stadium will be just older. By that time Arte will more than likely sell because he won't want to pony up the dough to build a new stadium. 

Kevinb -- true -- and, really, does anyone see Arte 'building his own stadium' on City land in Anaheim?  NO.

Angels are stuck there -- and it's probably for the best as the Anaheim location with the freeway access makes it the best venue available ---

if the Angels and the City could get along -- they could probably build a great newer version ballpark along the lines of Safeco or AT&T following the trend sort of started in Baltimore with Camden Yard -- but that's not reality in Anaheim and a status quo extension likely the outcome..........and while the ballpark isn't new and sort of pales in comparison to some of the newer era parks -- it's not a terrible place to play either...........