• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Servais > Scioscia

Chuck

4 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

The worst bullpen manager maybe ever.

Oh come on Scotty!!!! His bullpen management is maybe his best asset. Sure he might rocket up the post count in the GD threads when he punts a tie game in the 5th inning, but Mike manages his bullpen with an eye towards the long term. He can't bring Bedrosian in to get every out and there is always another game tomorrow. 

In my opinion, there is enough blame to go around....

A bad team starts from the top...our owner has signed some bad contracts, reduce international scouting and meddles with the GM's job.  We have had some not so good GM's causing the teams plans to change every few years.  Scioscia has made some mistakes, but also made some very good moves.

Has Sciosica run his course with the Angels, probably....but Scioscia did not sign Nava, Gentry, trade Santiago, trade Gott, pick through the heap pile for players.  That falls on Arte's shoulders (yes I know Eppler is the one behind the moves, but I'm sure Arte is pulling the strings).  As a manager, you are only as good as the talent around you.  The talent is pretty thin.

This club needs to think back to the, dare I say it, Stoneman days, and build this club from the ground up.  We need to stay away from aging stars who demand huge money and focus on building a solid core of players.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I sure hope the Halos are building a strong pen for the future.    Outside of 2014, it's been mostly mediocre since 2009.

Bullpens are really all about "now". More teams are doing what the Cubs just did, and adding pen parts at the deadline when solidly in contention. The Cubs weren't doing poorly with what they had, but still added Smith, Chapman, Montgomery and got Joe Nathan back from the DL. Smith and Chapman are pure rentals. Their pen looks totally different than it did opening day, and next opening day it will look totally different than it does now.

I don't think you can "build" a pen with future in mind...relievers are on and off, and they get hurt a lot.

Spending (and having pieces and money to spend) when you are looking at the playoffs.. seems to be what the trend is.

3 hours ago, AngelArcher said:

What does he have to do with Scioscia's playoff record?

In case you didn't notice but the title of the thread was Servais > Scioscia.

Many here want to evaluate Scioscia based on his playoff record (personally I don't weigh the playoffs greater over all performances and the improvement of the franchise under a manager tenure).

If playoff wins are a measurement of quality of a manager than Servais record is relevant.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Scioscia's playoff record has been bad.  I believe there were two if not three years where we lost to a team worse than us.  The year of the squeeze, the year Arod hit the home run off of Fuentes and 2014 where the offense couldn't get it going at all. 

In all three years we lost to the team who won the ALCHamptons hip and two of those three years the lost to the WS champions.

The Angels in recent years have cycled through hundreds of players, multiple GM's, multiple coaching staffs, and all new front office staffs, with the only constants being Scioscia, Moreno, underperformance, horrible playoff success, disappointing free agents, horrible trades, a worsening farm system, and lots and lots of inconsistency.

We've had good years, no doubt, but being unable to repeat that in back-to-back seasons proves to me Scioscia has no clue what makes a team succeed.

42 minutes ago, stormngt said:

In case you didn't notice but the title of the thread was Servais > Scioscia.

Many here want to evaluate Scioscia based on his playoff record (personally I don't weigh the playoffs greater over all performances and the improvement of the franchise under a manager tenure).

If playoff wins are a measurement of quality of a manager than Servais record is relevant.

And in case you didn't notice, I didn't mention anything about Servais. I don't know if he's a good manager or not, because I don't follow his team and his tenure just started. If you're saying all post should be relevant to thread topics, then this thread and countless others will have only a handful of posts and there will be a million more threads because no one is allowed to post anything otherwise. Just own up to posting a stupid comparison that you got called out on by others as well.

4 hours ago, stormngt said:

What a dumbass argument to suggest that a first year manager of a third place team is better than a manager who wins the World Series  (second or third year) won four or is it five division titles and I believe only two losing seasons in over q5 year career.  

Have Servais do something before comparing him to Scioscia.

Then take this up with the creator of the thread. 

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

Bullpens are really all about "now". More teams are doing what the Cubs just did, and adding pen parts at the deadline when solidly in contention. The Cubs weren't doing poorly with what they had, but still added Smith, Chapman, Montgomery and got Joe Nathan back from the DL. Smith and Chapman are pure rentals. Their pen looks totally different than it did opening day, and next opening day it will look totally different than it does now.

I don't think you can "build" a pen with future in mind...relievers are on and off, and they get hurt a lot.

Spending (and having pieces and money to spend) when you are looking at the playoffs.. seems to be what the trend is.

Maybe a better term I could have used was immediate future, meaning for 2017/2018.   With question marks galore in the rotation, a great pen will be needed for the next 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, mp170.6 said:

The Angels in recent years have cycled through hundreds of players, multiple GM's, multiple coaching staffs, and all new front office staffs, with the only constants being Scioscia, Moreno, underperformance, horrible playoff success, disappointing free agents, horrible trades, a worsening farm system, and lots and lots of inconsistency.

We've had good years, no doubt, but being unable to repeat that in back-to-back seasons proves to me Scioscia has no clue what makes a team succeed.

That's a fair argument. But to be fair, out of the last several years, trout has been the only constant....

Just when we thought weaver/haren/santana were IT, haren and santana fell off a cliff. The offense went from amazing in 12, to spotty in 13 (pujols gets hurt, Hamilton falls off a cliff, etc). A 3 month run of a real pen, etc.

When "Sosh was good", we had a far, far better built team. "His" success was a big part of that fact. Stoneman (and are back then) gave him a very good product (that lacked a second big bat).

My knock on dipoto was that he misread position players and ignored then pen. Too early to see what Eppler pros and cons are.

1 hour ago, AngelArcher said:

And in case you didn't notice, I didn't mention anything about Servais. I don't know if he's a good manager or not, because I don't follow his team and his tenure just started. If you're saying all post should be relevant to thread topics, then this thread and countless others will have only a handful of posts and there will be a million more threads because no one is allowed to post anything otherwise. Just own up to posting a stupid comparison that you got called out on by others as well.

Again my statement was relevant to the yogic of the post.  If your post wasn't about such a comparison than you should have never posted it in this thread.

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Huston Street remains the closer over Cam Bedrosian despite sucking for nearly the entire season, Scott demotes their closer in favor of a rookie who has been lights out, much like Bedrosian.

Edwin Diaz has replaced Steve Cishek as the Mariners' primary closer.

Mariners manager Scott Servais made the announcement after Steve Cishek gave up the go-ahead run in Monday's loss to the Red Sox. Diaz has been lights out since coming up from the minors, posting a 1.80 ERA and 49/7 K/BB ratio over 25 innings. "He’s obviously the logical choice and he’s ready for that," Servais said. "There’s no doubt." 

Scioscia never has been able to handle a pitching staff.

I'm not trying to say Scott Sevais is a better overall manager than Sosh, just in the context of demoting a struggling vet for a young guy who is dominating.  Yes he'll get around to it (see K-Rod vs. Percy), but it just takes him so damn long that games are lost along the way because the wrong personnel is in the wrong spots for too long.

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm not trying to say Scott Sevais is a better overall manager than Sosh, just in the context of demoting a struggling vet for a young guy who is dominating.  Yes he'll get around to it (see K-Rod vs. Percy), but it just takes him so damn long that games are lost along the way because the wrong personnel is in the wrong spots for too long.

It took him to the trade deadline with Street.  And it makes sense for him to do that since they were hoping to trade him.