• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It has to be Arte

nate

1 minute ago, bloodbrother said:

Arte's got tickets to sell so the GM is tasked at all costs to do whatever it takes to give off the mirage of them putting out a contending team. 2017 is the only focus with this group right now

I just don't see that....how getting Nolasco and Meyer gives off a mirage of anything but dog crap is beyond me....

Here's John Sickels from his top 20s:

2012 (Nationals):

4) Alex Meyer, RHP, Grade B: I respect his upside as a guy with two dominating pitches, but his command is still a work in progress, and such tall pitchers often struggle to keep their mechanics in line. Could be a superior starter, a closer, or a failure.

2013 (Twins):

6) Alex Meyer, RHP, Grade B+: Acquired from the Nationals for Denard Span. Impressive high-ceiling arm is something that the Twins need, could develop into a number two starter if he maintains the greater mechanical consistency he showed in 2012 compared to his college days at the University of Kentucky.

2014:

4) Alex Meyer, RHP, Grade B+: Hard-thrower pitched effectively in Double-A, although a shoulder injury caused him to miss two months. Healthy now, should be ready for major league trial in 2014, projects as number two starter if everything works out with his arm. ETA: 2014.

2015:

4) Alex Meyer, RHP, Grade B+: 6-9 monster still polishing command but has little left to prove in the minors after solid year in Triple-A. Mid-90s heat, strong slider, change-up has improved, looks like a number two starter when his command is on, more like an erratic four or a reliever when it isn’t. ETA: 2015.

2016:

11) Alex Meyer, RHP, Grade B-/C+: Got killed as a starter early due to command issues, move to relief at mid-season and that seems to be his role going forward, intimidating at 6-9 but like Burdi he needs to show more consistent command. Age 25.

18 minutes ago, nate said:

There is no way the Angels could have had this many bad GMs.

I've come to believe meddling owners are the worst thing you can have. The most successful recipe is to have a guy who hands over the money to someone who actually knows what they're doing. It certainly appears that isn't the case with us. I defended the guy for a long time but I really, really hope he sells the team soon.

Why would anyone blame Scioscia for this shitty trade?  This is Eppler, 100%.  His job is to use assets to make the team better now and for the future.  His job is to convince his boss to let him do what he needs to do to do that.  He is an excellent communicator, well he needs to be an excellent persuader as well.  

As some have said, this deal only makes sense if Eppler thinks there's a good chance that Meyer can fulfill his earlier potential. This to me is the telling quote from the 2014 report: "looks like a number two starter when his command is on, more like an erratic four or a reliever when it isn’t."

Sounds like Hector Santiago, although Hector has "stabilized" more in the #3-4 range.

Even if Arte isn't actually meddling in specific deal, which I don't think he is anymore, I think he has set the team's philosophy and requires his FO staff to follow it.  

At no point is the GM allowed to make moves that would indicate any sort of concession for the following season.  We play to win every year.  Season ticket holders are much easier to keep than they are to find.  We will make moves this off season which will, again, make us to maybe, kinda, sorta competitive if everything goes right.  

It's all about perception.  We will never create one that makes fans think we are not playing to make the playoffs.