• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twins acquire Santiago

ettin

Trading for a collection of prospects in the low to mid minors 2-3 years away ... isn't that risky too? At best they'll be Santiago clones. 

Who takes Santiago spot in the rotation next season? Do we go into the off season with 2-3 pitchers in the rotation? Shouldn't we start the 2017 season with 7-8 pitchers? Finding 4-5 pitchers can't be easy.

I know ... 2017 is a lost season. Just throw anyone who resembles a pitcher and the team should be fine. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I don't understand the logic that it was a good trade because no one was going to sell the farm for Hector.  Of course they weren't.  It's not that black and white.  

Santiago's value is what it is.  It's Alex Meyer and Ricky Nolasco.  It's Ariel Miranda. But it's also some collection of prospects in the low to mid minors who are 2-3 years away of which we will never know.  

I was hoping we'd find out what the latter was because my feeling is that it's better than what is being assumed.  

The value attached to a 'major league ready' arm is the game changer.  I would have rather mitigate some risk in exchange for that.  

I'm with you here. I don't mind gambling on prospects, we have to at this point. In fact, I wish we did more of it. But this move, to me, smacks of the "rebuild is not in our DNA" mold that has been the mantra of this FO so far. I didn't expect Santiago to bring back much (though I'd be lying if I said my hopes weren't a little bit up seeing what relief pitchers were bringing back) but I did expect a bit more then a pitcher with a miserable MLB track record and shoulder problems.   

At the end of the day, it's hard to get too worked up about this trade. It was obviously made for Meyer, I think everyone can see that, and I hope it pans out. What does concern me though, which I think is along the lines of what Doc said, is that this organization continues to cling to this belief that this is a close to competitive team and its philosophy is skewed toward making the team better today or next season, even if it means taking a greater risk/getting less value in return for whatever minimal assets we have. All this philosophy does is continue to set us back, in my opinion, and makes it tougher to be competitive in that 2018-2020 window that I think is a more realistic target.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

Trading for a collection of prospects in the low to mid minors 2-3 years away ... isn't that risky too? At best they'll be Santiago clones. 

Who takes Santiago spot in the rotation next season? Do we go into the off season with 2-3 pitchers in the rotation? Shouldn't we start the 2017 season with 7-8 pitchers? Finding 4-5 pitchers can't be easy.

I know ... 2017 is a lost season. Just throw anyone who resembles a pitcher and the team should be fine. 

I guess this is where we stand right now on possible starters (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Current Rotation:  Shoemaker, Skaggs, Nolasko, Lincecum, Weaver

Spot Start/Long Relief:  Chacin

Injured Reserve:  Richards, Meyer, Heaney, Tropeano, Rasmus

Best Minor League Hopes Today:  Smith, Long, Barria, Alcantara

I don't know the low minor league guys well enough to comment.

24 minutes ago, tomsred said:

I guess this is where we stand right now on possible starters (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Current Rotation:  Shoemaker, Skaggs, Nolasko, Lincecum, Weaver

Spot Start/Long Relief:  Chacin

Injured Reserve:  Richards, Meyer, Heaney, Tropeano, Rasmus

Best Minor League Hopes Today:  Smith, Long, Barria, Alcantara

I don't know the low minor league guys well enough to comment.

Shoemaker and Skaggs and 3 days of old washed up bags.

6 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

No offense, but this is *precisely* the same thing many said in defending the Wells and Hanson trades.

Further, my baseball knowledge is probably deficient compared to most posters here, much less a real front office - but looking at the front office decisions of the past few years, I've been right quite a bit more often than they.   

So, an "appeal to authority" in this case just doesn't hold water ...

I'm not saying the Angels are right. I'm just saying you and I don't know if they are right at the moment. 

We can have opinions now but we have to admit that our opinions are based on much less info than their decisions. 

You wouldn't presume to tell your doctor how to do surgery because you watch Grey's Anatomy, would you?

That's essentially what baseball fans do all the time. 

16 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I'm not saying the Angels are right. I'm just saying you and I don't know if they are right at the moment. 

We can have opinions now but we have to admit that our opinions are based on much less info than their decisions. 

You wouldn't presume to tell your doctor how to do surgery because you watch Grey's Anatomy, would you?

Of course not, that would be stupid.

That being said, thanks to "autopsy" on HBO I now accuse people of murder whenever their aunt dies "naturally".

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Just for discussion (and I don't like the trade, if we couldn't get something more solid I'd have held on to santiago), if we made this trade 2 months ago when Hector was scuffling, would we like it?

If we traded him then, it would be selling low and I'd have been annoyed.  

37 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Does it matter that a lot of your colleagues haven't been overly complimentary of this deal?  The best thing I have heard people say is that it's either weird or interesting and that the Angels must really like Meyer.  

As far as the Doctor analogy is concerned, there are patients who come in and ask questions and it's clear they have done their research while others, not so much.  

And no offense to the many baseball front office people around the game, but what they do isn't surgery. 

I ain't gonna pop back behind the register at McDonalds, but I bet I could figure it out pretty quick.  I am sure working at Mcdonalds seems pretty elementary compared to being a baseball GM, but so is comparing surgery to making trades.  

Granted, the Angels position is rooted in a lot more information as has been stated.  But it sure seems like they have somehow obtained information that no one else in baseball has.  Either that, or they are making their best guess at what amount to a complete and total crapshoot.  

Fans don't make the choices.  We have no idea if they are going to be right or wrong.  We are basically handicappers.  Decisional odds makers.    

5 hours ago, Torridd said:

I just think Wells had more potential to be good. That's why I say this is a worse trade. I think Santiago is a lot better than Nolasco. I guess we'll see what happens with Meyer. It's done. It's not like Santiago was my favorite player, but when you make trades I always thought you were supposed to come out better. I don't think the Angels are a better team right now. We'll see if Meyer can change that.

But you advocated trading him for 2 young players without as much upside. How would that make us better today?

Edited by Lou

Love it or hate it, there is a thought process in place at least -- whether or not it works we will find out.  

I do want to see if the FIP experiment V 2.0, has any greater success than the first attempt.   We are either going to look back and refer to this as a shining example of a time when Eppler was thinking outside the box or a time he shit the bed.  Also curious if Hector sees the same negative impact the other Minn pitchers have experienced with that defense behind them.

But once again.... at least there is a thought process there... 

I think Eppler would be the first to say ... the decision to trade for Meyers is a crapshoot. GM and managers make risky decisions all the time. Some workout and some don't ... it goes with the territory. You can't always play it safe if you want to win.

Everyone seems to be in a uproar over a Santiago trade ... it isn't like a couple of mid to low level prospects were going to be a difference maker in the future.