• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Heyman on Pujols signing

1 hour ago, NotMyCat said:

I do make fun of Pujols, but I understand the decision of signing him.  Arte had to make a big splash with the new TV deal. 

What I never understood is why a patient hitter with the Cardinals became a free swinger with the Angels. Some of those Cardinal teams had crummy lineups, yet he was ok with taking the walk.

with the Angels? "I hit mang. "

He got 2 WS rings & got his payday with the Angels, now he can just spend the rest of his career trying to hit HRs to move up on the all time list.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Albert's fitness level could have a lot to do with his decline.  He's legitimately fat right now.  

I honestly wish MLB made it so every team had tough training camps to get players in shape for each season.

Considering the Diabetic epidemic in this country, its not great having all these Baseball icons be Overweight & or Obese.

I also wish they had a Central Scouting Bureau like the NHL so that teams like the Angels who don't know how to scout well can at least draft based on what the league appointed scouts say. This also helps good drafting teams to focus their area of scouting into other places & get some good late round picks. When they added that Central Scouting Bureau system in the NHL it led to much better talent on every team.

16 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Good stuff, 70runner. As I said, his last peak year was 2010, which was still in line with most of his prime years, even if below 2008-09. He was allegedly 30.

The reason I think his age is off by 2-4 years (I'd guess 3) is that most players really start to decline starting around 32-33; if he's really 3 years old, he would have been 33 in 2010. This also means that he would have been 24 in his rookie year, which seems more likely than the 21 he claimed.

I also think steroids might be a factor. Someone mentioned up-thread the possibility that he stopped juicing after he got his big contract. This wouldn't explain the decline he showed in 2011 from his peak form, however. Maybe it is both.

Anyhow, whatever combination it is--being older than advertised, using PEDs and then stopping, and just plain old decline--the end result is that he may be the most disappointing free agent signing in Angels history, and I find myself having a hard time enjoying him in an Angels uniform, let alone respecting him. I look forward to the day he retires.

Are you trying to suggest Pujols was  19 when he entered high school at independence Mo.?  Was he 21 when he graduated and only wasn't drafted put of high school?  

11 hours ago, cezero said:

As somebody who has had to live with probably the worst-run organization in MLB for the past 40 years, it's hilarious for me as an outsider to see the lengths some idiots on here will go to in order to blame Dipoto or Eppler or Scioscia for the Halos' utter organizational incompetence. 

This is exactly the move Jack Z would've made if he had another 5 years as GM and if Nintendo had given him ludicrous money. 

Bit it's your owner who does this over and over and over and over again. Start there, and don't get distracted, and maybe some of the idiots I'm talking about can come up with a rational thought or two. 

lol

On 7/1/2016 at 6:39 PM, Stradling said:

Ok, so here is how you guys think it played out.  A 19 year old comes over from the Dominican Republic to play baseball.  He comes to KC the baseball Mecca that it is.  He enrolls in high school not as a senior but as a sophomore, because what teenager doesn't want to redo three years of high school.  So as a 22 year old senior isn't good enough to be drafted out of high school.  He then goes to one year of college and is drafted 402nd in the draft, so he is now 23 and still isn't highly thought of.  Then he blossoms.  If he just came out of nowhere and performed like this and never did the three years of high school here, I would totally see your point.  To me though it just doesn't pass the smell test.  

Since you put it that way...

Seriously though, I don't know whether Pujols is actually older than advertised. My main point is that it would explain his rapid and historic decline after 2010.

But here's the thing. If Pujols isn't older than advertised, why has he declined so rapidly? Again, his decline is historic. Very few or even no players who were similarly great through age 30 have declined like Pujols. Why is that? I don't buy bad luck and injuries. Sure, injuries would hamper his ability, but to do the degree that they have? Again, this is a player who hit .328/.420/.617 as a Cardinal, and fell to .264/.326/.471 as an Angel. Inner circle greats don't decline like that in their 30s. Something is off, plain and simple.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Seriously though, I don't know whether Pujols is actually older than advertised. My main point is that it would explain his rapid and historic decline after 2010.

But here's the thing. If Pujols isn't older than advertised, why has he declined so rapidly? Again, his decline is historic. Very few or even no players who were similarly great through age 30 have declined like Pujols. Why is that? I don't buy bad luck and injuries. Sure, injuries would hamper his ability, but to do the degree that they have? Again, this is a player who hit .328/.420/.617 as a Cardinal, and fell to .264/.326/.471 as an Angel. Inner circle greats don't decline like that in their 30s. Something is off, plain and simple.

Played in a shittier league, stopped juicing, got lazy, turned muscle into fat, got paid, cared less, got injured, became older. 

4 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Played in a shittier league, stopped juicing, got lazy, turned muscle into fat, got paid, cared less, got injured, became older. 

Which actually makes it worse and him even less worthy of respect. The age thing would be forgivable, considering how hard it is for Latino players to make it to the majors. But your narrative makes him sound like a big sack of shit.

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't think it's crazy. It is unprecedented but not out of the realm of possibility. 

Read some scouting reports on his when he was drafted. Read why teams passed on him round after round. He has a fat body, his legs won't last, he'll be a corner infielder / DH... 

He got older and declined from inner circle to all star. The Angels paid him a kings ransom to move away from his family and play baseball out west when his heart wasn't in it. He moved to a tougher league, to a pitchers division and a pitchers park at a time when offense was drastically declining. He's had leg issues, and a fucking giant swollen testicle that he's played through just about every day. He's gotten fat and resigned to the fact that he isn't the same player he once was. He still has that homerun record to shoot for though, so he'll keep trying to pull those pitches off the plate in the hopes that he can yank one down the line. 

This is not meant to make excuses for his play, but to just present a logical take on his decline without considering peds or being older than he says. I think if he got himself in shape, healed up and saw a psychiatrist he could put up numbers similar to Ortiz.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Which actually makes it worse and him even less worthy of respect. The age thing would be forgivable, considering how hard it is for Latino players to make it to the majors. But your narrative makes him sound like a big sack of shit.

Not even to make this a racist thing. But why is it harder for a Latino player to make it to the majors than a white, black or asian player to make it to the majors? There are a ton of people in the big leagues and other professional sports who get paid a whole lot and mail it in. Does the guy look in the best shape of his life? Guy is getting paid 25 mil a year to play a professional sport and he looks ehh for an actual person of his age add in he is a professional athlete and comparisons of Shawn Kemp body type seem to be the first thing to come to my mind. Why would you blame any of the athletes for doing PED's when there is pretty much no downside to doing so. A Rod did it got paid huge and then got caught and still get paid huge there is really not a huge down side for using. He stopped and got out of shape got injured aged and got paid 250 mil its really not that big of a mystery. Who works their entire life to get that huge pay day gets the huge pay day and then wakes up the next day with the same fight to stay on top. Not a lot of athletes do that, not a lot of people do that. 

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think it's crazy. It is unprecedented but not out of the realm of possibility. 

Read some scouting reports on his when he was drafted. Read why teams passed on him round after round. He has a fat body, his legs won't last, he'll be a corner infielder / DH... 

He got older and declined from inner circle to all star. The Angels paid him a kings ransom to move away from his family and play baseball out west when his heart wasn't in it. He moved to a tougher league, to a pitchers division and a pitchers park at a time when offense was drastically declining. He's had leg issues, and a fucking giant swollen testicle that he's played through just about every day. He's gotten fat and resigned to the fact that he isn't the same player he once was. He still has that homerun record to shoot for though, so he'll keep trying to pull those pitches off the plate in the hopes that he can yank one down the line. 

This is not meant to make excuses for his play, but to just present a logical take on his decline without considering peds or being older than he says. I think if he got himself in shape, healed up and saw a psychiatrist he could put up numbers similar to Ortiz.

Did you say a giant swollen testicle? 

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

Ya man. He had swollen nads or something, haha.

HAHAHA I would love to meet the reporter that got this scoop. Just imagine him walking thru the Angels locker room holy fuck what is in between Pujols legs and why does one look like a cantaloupe and the other a peanut this is just weird. You mind if I write a story on this. 

On 7/1/2016 at 3:52 AM, Kevinb said:

No you're right 247 is high 200s we should be proud to pay 25 mil for that kind of production 

No, .251/15/55.  He's hitting in the low .200s alright.  But then you'll turn the discussion around and make it about his contact or make a smart ass "he should be extended then" type of response.  I just speak the facts, I'm not saying anything about money or his contract.  You said low .200s when he was batting almost .250 and I corrected you.  That's all.  Then you started putting words in my mouth.  Well played.

Oh so he's on a hot streak and it's up to 250 congrats. Let's see what his numbers are at the end of the year. But still batting 250 being paid 25 mil on a last place team isn't what the Angels signed up for but your right I'm the bad guy for saying it