• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Heyman on Pujols signing

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/inside-baseball-with-jon-heyman/yankee-intrigue-trade-gap-arod/

Story heard about the Albert Pujols deal: The Angels were at $160 million, when Arte Moreno went to $200 million on a phone call with agent Dan Lozano. And when Lozano told him he couldn’t have an answer for him at this time because he hadn’t spoken to Pujols, Moreno abruptly bumped it to $240 million. Then Lozano gave him his answer: Yes

Guess that's one way to get someone to sign.

37 minutes ago, Billy_Ball said:

At least the Angels are getting more production from Albert than A-Rod (.219) and Teixeira (.188).

A Rod and Tex produced more than Pujols through out there contracts. Pujols is in the low 200s with his batting average 

1 hour ago, IEAngelfan said:

I guess this confirms that Arte was the driving force behind this signing.

That and the Hamilton signing IMO. For the sake of this franchise and us as fans, we have to hope that Arte has learned his lesson and leaves the baseball decisions to the baseball people.

Even Albert's agent was so dumbfounded by Arte's offer that he knew there was no way Albert would say no.

It is kind of strange when the team you've been on for the past decade won't offer you a competitive extension, even though everyone else in baseball thinks you're amazing. Also love how the Cards went on to win a World Series without him. Guess they knew what they were doing.

Not gonna lie, I was excited for Albert to come here. But dear gawd that was a long time and a lot of money. It seemed overboard.

1 hour ago, CaliAngel said:

Even Albert's agent was so dumbfounded by Arte's offer that he knew there was no way Albert would say no.

It is kind of strange when the team you've been on for the past decade won't offer you a competitive extension, even though everyone else in baseball thinks you're amazing. Also love how the Cards went on to win a World Series without him. Guess they knew what they were doing.

Not gonna lie, I was excited for Albert to come here. But dear gawd that was a long time and a lot of money. It seemed overboard.

The last World Series the Cardinals won was the last year Pujols was in a Cards uniform(2011). 

3 hours ago, Kevinb said:

A Rod and Tex produced more than Pujols through out there contracts. 

They've been with the Yankees longer than Pujols has been with the Angels, so of course they produced more....

Plus, imagine if Albert played half his games at Yankee Stadium.

Pujols would kill at yankee stadium.  He'd still make an effort to hit the ball to the opposite field because he could still hit hrs that way.  Anyway, for most of us there was no question that Arte was the impetus for the pujols signing.  Frankly, him wanting to bring Pujols here doesn't bother me.  His decline is unprecedented and would not have been able to be predicted.  I seriously don't have a problem with the owner of a major league franchise getting intimately involved in the signing of a player that costs over 200mil and at the time was destined to be an inner circle hall of famer.  There would be significant owner involvement on any signing at that level.  

My problem with Arte extends beyond Pujols.  That one could be justified.  Hamilton?  Not so much.  But the real kicker is Arte's influence on the overall philosophy of this team ie the notion that all resources go to the major league club.  Something that I still see happening with the Simmons and Escobar trades.  So if you ask me whether I think that Arte has backed off and is letting Eppler do what he thinks is best for this team's future, then my answer is an unequivocal no.  

We might make some minor trades at the deadline, but don't be surprised if Escobar is still here a month from now.  

1 minute ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

His decline absolutely could have and should have been predicted. He was in a steady decline for multiple seasons prior to signing.

not to the degree it actually has happened.  He was declining a bit as a cardinal.  He decline is unprecedented for what he did earlier in his career.  The normal declination curve of the avg player should not have applied to him.  Show me another player that had done what he did in his first 10 years that dropped off as quickly as he has.  The only reasonable explanation was that he was on PEDs or that he's older than his stated age.