• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brexit

23 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

This is the beginning of the end for the U.K.

Northern Ireland and Scotland will eventually break away. The fact that we could possibly see a united Ireland again is nuts.

Even If Northern Ireland leaves UK I can't see them wanting to reunite with the Dublin. 

25 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Even If Northern Ireland leaves UK I can't see them wanting to reunite with the Dublin. 

If they want to stay in the EU that much then they might just be willing to unite the Island. That's if the EU doesn't dissolve first.

Got to love voters

http://theslot.jezebel.com/man-who-voted-for-brexit-is-a-bit-shocked-his-vote-coun-1782553004

I’m a bit shocked to be honest. I’m shocked that we actually have voted to Leave, I didn’t think that was going to happen.

My vote, I didn’t think was going to matter too much because I thought we were just going to Remain, and the David Cameron resignation has blown me away to be honest.

I think the period of uncertainty that we’re going to have for the next couple of months, that’s just been magnified now.

So yeah, quite worried.

2 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

His voters won't know how stupid this tweet makes him look (nor would they care ultimate)

Had a talk with my dad the other day and he's an enthusiastic Trump voter. When I mentioned how much he either lied or was wrong he said "name ONE THING he's lied about!" I named a few, he denied they were lies and then started bitching about Hillary and Benghazi.

4 minutes ago, Glen said:

Had a talk with my dad the other day and he's an enthusiastic Trump voter. When I mentioned how much he either lied or was wrong he said "name ONE THING he's lied about!" I named a few, he denied they were lies and then started bitching about Hillary and Benghazi.

par for the course

1 hour ago, Glen said:

It is hard to get too mad at someone who chooses anyone, including Trump, over Hillary but c'mon man, to be enthusiastic and defensive? lolz

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

It is hard to get too mad at someone who chooses anyone, including Trump, over Hillary but c'mon man, to be enthusiastic and defensive? lolz

Basic human behavior. The human brain will rationalize anything if it wants to believe something bad enough. Hell OJ may well believe that he didn't kill anyone. Every year in Spring we think the Angels have at least a chance, even when they have the roster they had this season. 

15 hours ago, InsideThePark said:

The pound has already taken a hit and they're still counting votes lol.

Apparently there are comparisons between the brexit movement and Trump in terms of the type of voters they attract. A lot of the uneducated, white nationalists want to leave the European Union even with all the uncertainty that lies ahead. They're ballsy - I'll give them that.

It's not just UKIP (squarely behind Brexit) and Trump. Xenophobia is alive and well throughout Europe (Alternative for Germany, Sweden Democracy, National Front, etc).

One could also argue that ISIS is yet another (but very extreme) strain of xenophobia. Fear of "The Other" goes back to the beginning of human history, but the last time that it was this prevalent was about eight decades ago...

4 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

This is the beginning of the end for the U.K.

Northern Ireland and Scotland will eventually break away. The fact that we could possibly see a united Ireland again is nuts.

I heard talk today of a likely push to reunite Ireland that could stir back up some of the issues that caused them to split in the first place. Hard for me to say, since I've never even been over there, but it's really only been since the 90's that there has been peace there. 

41 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

It's not just UKIP (squarely behind Brexit) and Trump. Xenophobia is alive and well throughout Europe (Alternative for Germany, Sweden Democracy, National Front, etc).

One could also argue that ISIS is yet another (but very extreme) strain of xenophobia. Fear of "The Other" goes back to the beginning of human history, but the last time that it was this prevalent was about eight decades ago...

I've been worried about Europe for a few years now, even before the refugee crisis. Economies are hurting, the people are changing, there seems to be issues with assimilation and terrorism, and of course the long history of violence and nationalism on the continent. I'd like to think we live in more enlightened times, but the horrors humanity is capable of even now never ceases to surprise me. 

I actually did a PowerPoint project on the Sweden Democracy party for my European geography class this spring. This is a party that was founded in the late 80s as an actual neo-Nazi party in a country that hadn't had a ton of immigration at that point (some from the Soviet bloc, some from South America--especially from Chile, and some from Southern Europe), but pivoted to the mainstream as the refugees (mostly from the the former Yugoslavia and the Middle East) began forming a significant number of the population. Now some 20% of Sweden's population of 10 million is either first- or second-generation migrants. It certainly is a demographic issue in a country that has a much smaller population compared to that of Germany or especially the United States. 

However, most Swedes polled still support continuing their relaxed immigration policies (and staying in the EU). 

The minority of voters are becoming more vocal and emboldened there, as well as in other European countries (Alternative for Germany--AfD--gained several seats in German state elections earlier this year).