• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2016-2017 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

The Ducks have to move some $ from the D core in order to sign forward(s).  That 2.3m includes the $ they owe Despres which I think he will be done and that frees up some space.  Rumors that they will extend Fowler which I think means Vatanen is probably the odd man out.

Next year they have Cogliano they need to re-sign/replace which shouldn't be too much.  The next year is when shit gets super expensive.

41 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

i would offer sheet draisatl if they can't make a move for drouin.

but then be ready for them to come after montour, theo, steel and jones.

drama!

Ha, Steel and Jones wont be RFA yet.

Edmonton only has a couple years before they will be in trouble.  No chance they can sign all those guys they have right now.

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Just a shit and giggles hypothetical.  Would you, and would they?

Ovechkin 4/$40, $9.5 cap hit

for

Perry 4/$34, $8.6

Vatannen 4/$24.5 $4.875

One of Theodore/Montour

One thing is for sure, the Ducks PP would be much better. With that said, I wouldn't touch that deal. Ovi seems to be slowing down similar to how Perry is. Plus the Ducks need to keep their exempt defensemen. Their defensive depth is what saved them this playoffs.

14 hours ago, gotbeer said:

for

Perry 4/$34, $8.6

Vatannen 4/$24.5 $4.875

One of Theodore/Montour

Nope.  Can't lose Theo or Montour.  Need them for the next couple years because they are affordable.

Would love to lose Perry

2 hours ago, nate said:

Nope.  Can't lose Theo or Montour.  Need them for the next couple years because they are affordable.

Would love to lose Perry

IMO, if we extend Fowler, then I'd be ok with losing Theo or Montour.  We still have Larsson and he looked good in his limited time with the Ducks.  

next year

Fowler/Manson

Bieska/Lindholm

Theodore/Montour/Stoner

After that

Fowler/Manson

Lindholm/Theodore/Montour

Larsson/?? 

And we'd still have Wellinski and Pettersen as potential in 2 years.

Having Bieksa and Stoner in the D core is like surrendering.  Vatanen was also the third best D man on the team this year.

Montour should be untouchable, he was excellent in the playoffs.  Bieksa, Stoner and Manson are bad, having more than one of them in the top 6 really hurts the team.

Edited by nate

Actually looking at the stats.  Wellinski was with the gulls last season.  63 games.  6/23/29.  +/- 4.   Not too bad.

Pettersen was in Sweden.  But he looks to be a project.  But at 6'4, if he fills out, might be something.

18 hours ago, gotbeer said:

for

Perry 4/$34, $8.6

Vatannen 4/$24.5 $4.875

One of Theodore/Montour

i would do that in a minute. 

perrys contract might very well end up as an albatross.

could you imagine a getz / rakell / ovi line?

Report: A new deal between the Caps and T.J. Oshie is 'all but done'

In the comments.  I thought this was an interesting one.

craig
Vegas won't take an aging useless defenseman.
You don't replace Orpik with a speedy dman per se. You replace him with a younger version of Orpik. A big 6ft4 hungry motivated player like a Josh Manson type.

there's PLENTY of viable solid dmen in this league who aren't "speedy".

Speedy is a clueless caps fan term used to describe what it takes to be successful in the "new" NHL. Go look at the Oiler and Ducks and Flames dmen. You'll find at least 1 or 2 guys who play a very heavy rugged game who aren't "speedy"

We already have good speed on D. We need to balance that out with players willing and able to do the heavy lifting. Orpik was unable to do that because his body has broken down and he's become TOO slow. In his prime, he was quite the force on D. Probably the Penguins best player on both their consecutive Cup runs (loss to Detroit and the win the following season)

So it seems even other teams fans are scoping out and know what we have. 

Man, would love it if Manson was all we lost to Vegas.  He was garbage in the playoffs.

MacLean is the tale of two seasons.  When the Ducks were #1 on the PP he was a hero, not so much this year.

Interesting tidbit from an article about the Magnetos.  Very pertinent to the Ducks and what we can do in the offseason.

Columbus Blue Jackets Trying To Deal David Clarkson Contract

Though he’ll sit on long-term injured reserve (LTIR) for the three remaining years and his contract is insured, giving the Blue Jackets some financial relief, it still impacts what the team can do in the offseason. Injured players can’t be placed on LTIR until the season begins, meaning they have $5.25MM less room each summer in which to work.

So that means, that even though we know Despres is practically done.  His $3.37 million cap hit is $3.37 million we can't spend in the offseason. 

With all this talk of Vegas taking on a bad contract with a good.  If we can't trade Vatenen by the Draft, it's something the Ducks have to consider right?

On 6/2/2017 at 9:53 AM, gotbeer said:

Interesting tidbit from an article about the Magnetos.  Very pertinent to the Ducks and what we can do in the offseason.

Columbus Blue Jackets Trying To Deal David Clarkson Contract

So that means, that even though we know Despres is practically done.  His $3.37 million cap hit is $3.37 million we can't spend in the offseason. 

With all this talk of Vegas taking on a bad contract with a good.  If we can't trade Vatenen by the Draft, it's something the Ducks have to consider right?

If he is on LTIR, his cap hit is waived.

2 hours ago, mrwicked said:

If he is on LTIR, his cap hit is waived.

He is not on LTIR in the offseason, and can't be put on till the season begins.

Injured players can’t be placed on LTIR until the season begins, meaning they have $5.25MM less room each summer in which to work.

On 6/2/2017 at 9:24 AM, nate said:

Man, would love it if Manson was all we lost to Vegas.  He was garbage in the playoffs.

MacLean is the tale of two seasons.  When the Ducks were #1 on the PP he was a hero, not so much this year.

This is so wrong on so many levels. The Ducks have no one who could replace what Manson brings (big, physical dman who can skate). He's the perfect complement to either Lindholm and Fowler. Plus he may have had a few bad moments in the playoffs, but he was by no means "garbage".

7 hours ago, nate said:

In Today's NHL you don't need big hitting dmen, and he was such a liability anyone could replace him.  He was bad all season.

Your Manson prediction will be like your Lindholm prediction from a while back. 

I'm with Nate about Manson. You don't need the big hitting dmen as much anymore. I can provide MANY instances where his idiotic play cost us. He's way too concerned with laying out the big hit than playing the puck. That was exposed extremely in the Edmonton series. I really hope he's not in our long term plans. However, for 800K for next season.... I'll tolerate it. I've never been a Manson fan but I think Nate just passed me up hah. I didn't think he was the worst. Almost everyone had bad defensive games but Manson's really stood out with some timely errors. The Ducks and fans have a hard on for him. He's not going to be let go in the draft. If anything, he'll be traded. Again, I'd probably stick it out at least one more season with him. Extend then trade.

I think our bigger defensive issues in the Edmonton series was that we had guys like Lindholm often getting muscled off pucks on the boards in our zone.  Allowing teams like Edmonton with big aggressive forwards to pin us in.  That does not happen as much to guys like Manson.  Manson absolutely made errors in judgement but he's a young player.  Again, imo all of our Dmen had dumbass moments during the playoffs.  I don't see Mansons as being significantly more egregious. 

I disagree with the idea that a physically imposing defenseman that can skate isn't an important asset.  His game is already pretty good and I think improving.  Plus  he's a  cheap top 6 d man.  Ducks literally can't afford to lose him.  Look at our other attempts to get guys in that role.  Stoner and Bieksa aren't good at all. 

Edited by UndertheHalo