• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Optimizing Modem/Router

Spencer

On 7/6/2016 at 11:26 AM, red321 said:

The ubiquity route is probably more work than I want to put into things...though if I wasn't lazy (and independently wealthy) I'd probably redesign my storage solution at the same time and move off 8 external drives and build a NAS solution all tied.

I'll look at the AC66u. Might be more palatable to buy two of those routers and go with a setup similar to yours. Speed really isn't the issue, it's the range and where the line runs in to the house/my office.

ubiquiti was smooth and it's been flawless, i wish i did the shift earlier. i now have spare airport extremes if anyone needs a few. guess i get to play the fun craigslist game, oh joy.

also they just released a controller stick, so you don't need to run your own controller either locally or on an aws instance.

called the "cloud key" which runs a full controller, and is available to monitor/configure remotely. its fantastic.

i love my edge router lite but i might swap it out for the unifi security gateway (usg). it's the same guts as the erl, but it connects to the other unifi pieces (ACs, switches, etc) for a single pane of glass wrt monitoring. would be nice to open one thing and be able to manage your entire network (vs mucking with the router directly, and then unify for the other pieces). 

10 hours ago, mrwicked said:

ubiquiti was smooth and it's been flawless, i wish i did the shift earlier. i now have spare airport extremes if anyone needs a few. guess i get to play the fun craigslist game, oh joy.

also they just released a controller stick, so you don't need to run your own controller either locally or on an aws instance.

called the "cloud key" which runs a full controller, and is available to monitor/configure remotely. its fantastic.

i love my edge router lite but i might swap it out for the unifi security gateway (usg). it's the same guts as the erl, but it connects to the other unifi pieces (ACs, switches, etc) for a single pane of glass wrt monitoring. would be nice to open one thing and be able to manage your entire network (vs mucking with the router directly, and then unify for the other pieces). 

there are times when i read this thread and think "man, that sounds good/efficient but i don't have a friggen' clue what they're talking about. i wish one of these guys would come to my house and help me set things up so i don't screw things up horribly."

this is one of those times.

On 4/29/2017 at 8:36 PM, Tank said:

there are times when i read this thread and think "man, that sounds good/efficient but i don't have a friggen' clue what they're talking about. i wish one of these guys would come to my house and help me set things up so i don't screw things up horribly."

this is one of those times.

tank if you provide the whiskey and food, i will gladly help out.

by calling nate and thomas and getting them to come pimp out your home networking setup.

while i eat, and drink whiskey.

let me know.

Finally got fed up enough with the damn Faraday Cage that is my kitchen and bit the bullet and upgraded to Google Wifi routers. Took a Wifi signal strength finder and verified that I could not get a signal for any device that was on the other side of my kitchen...which sucks bat balls because my router/access point was directly behind the kitchen and therefore pretty much everything in the house was blocked by the kitchen.

Picked up 3 routers and laid them out in the triangle...so much better. I'm sure I could have set up a secondary access point but that involved work and I was tied about listening to the wife complain she couldn't get a signal in her office. I wasn't all that thrilled with the limited admin tools offered as part of Google Wifi...but then I realized I didn't actually use any of the admin tools my other routers offered after the initial setup anyways.

2 hours ago, mrwicked said:

tank if you provide the whiskey and food, i will gladly help out.

by calling nate and thomas and getting them to come pimp out your home networking setup.

while i eat, and drink whiskey.

let me know.

fair enough, and thanks in advance. thanks also for sending your corporate jet to pick up nate and thomas. let's make sure they can get some decent INO double-doubles for their flight out here.

so what brand of whiskey are we talking about here? i'm assuming you'll want some high quality brew, so i'll check and see if kirkland sells some at costco.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 6/3/2016 at 10:33 AM, Jason said:

I'm thinking of dumping Verizon Fios just because I have no good options for my wireless setup. Such BS!!

On 6/3/2016 at 10:34 AM, nate said:

What do you mean?  Most of the modem/router combos can be set into a bridge mode so you can use your own router anyway.

So I've learned a bit over the past few years but I still consider myself an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I learned how to shut off the wireless function without going into bridge mode and that worked great. I bought a TP Link home mesh system and it does what I need it to do. I just upgraded my Fios to their 1GB service and it is blazing fast. So fast I don't think my TP link system can handle those speeds. I also learned I do not even need to use their router/modem and can plug the Ethernet directly to my router. Does anyone have experience with mesh systems that can handle those speeds? I've seen some systems labeled as WiFi 6 and apparently can handle higher speeds than that. I don't know much about them other than they are quite expensive. 

22 hours ago, Jason said:

So I've learned a bit over the past few years but I still consider myself an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I learned how to shut off the wireless function without going into bridge mode and that worked great. I bought a TP Link home mesh system and it does what I need it to do. I just upgraded my Fios to their 1GB service and it is blazing fast. So fast I don't think my TP link system can handle those speeds. I also learned I do not even need to use their router/modem and can plug the Ethernet directly to my router. Does anyone have experience with mesh systems that can handle those speeds? I've seen some systems labeled as WiFi 6 and apparently can handle higher speeds than that. I don't know much about them other than they are quite expensive. 

The Asus ZenWifi AX mesh is the best there is IMO https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083Q45V1V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1