• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Optimizing Modem/Router

Spencer

I've recently opted to buy my own modem/router combo rather than continue leasing one from my cable company (Time Warner).

Are there settings on the modem/router to be manipulated so that it consistently delivers peak performance?

The combo unit I've ended up with is a Netgear AC1750 (Model C6300)

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C6300.aspx?cid=gwmng#tab-techspecs

45 minutes ago, nate said:

What do you mean?  Most of the modem/router combos can be set into a bridge mode so you can use your own router anyway.

I've tried to do that several times and have been unsuccessful. I'm not the most tech savoy so I'm sure it's operator error  

5 hours ago, Angels N Skins said:

I'm thinking of dumping Verizon Fios just because I have no good options for my wireless setup. Such BS!!

If you are a Tmobile customer, you can get a free router.  I just plugged it into my att fiber box and it seems to work fine.  I believe that is all you really need to do with any router. 

• 3 weeks later...

im going the enterprise route.

i currently have two apple AC airport extremes, one at each end of my house, hardwired together (entire house is networked), and it's fine but not perfect. the setup was awesomely easy. but it's not great for handoff sometimes.

so finally threw in the towel and went with ubiquity edge router and two of their unifi AC access points.

gonna set it up this weekend.

9 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

so finally threw in the towel and went with ubiquity edge router and two of their unifi AC access points.

I would sincerely hope that would take care of it lol.  I can't imagine the wifi hell that city must be. I've lived in the sticks so long I haven't even bothered to optimize channels. There are no competing wifi networks remotely close to the house.

• 2 weeks later...

need to buy a wireless router...preferably in the next 3 hours so I can get same day delivery.

Thoughts?

Was looking at 

D-Link AC320

Asus RT-AC88U

or maybe a step back and something like the Synology RT1900.

Biggest current issues...range. Connection is setup in an extreme corner of the house so access in the wife's office and our bedroom, on the other side of the house, is spotty. Would also like to make sure it can reach the trailer on the other side of the property as well...about 100 feet away (because it would appear our trailer has become a hotel for guests this summer). We setup some wireless access points, but they work for shit. More devices in this house than I can shake a stick at...so I'd like to setup multiple bands...one for me and then one for everyone else. USB port would also be nice so I can attach a large storage drive...because anywhere I can add extra storage is a good thing at the moment.

If I was doing a network from the ground up I'd follow Wicked's lead and go ubiquity. 
They are designed to work with each other, as opposed to universally with any equipment. Centralized management. Better seamless handoffs.

However since I rent I went with two of the N version of 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115&cm_re=asus_rt-ac66u-_-33-320-115-_-Product

and set the 2nd to slave off the first. 

The ubiquity route is probably more work than I want to put into things...though if I wasn't lazy (and independently wealthy) I'd probably redesign my storage solution at the same time and move off 8 external drives and build a NAS solution all tied.

I'll look at the AC66u. Might be more palatable to buy two of those routers and go with a setup similar to yours. Speed really isn't the issue, it's the range and where the line runs in to the house/my office.

I ended up going with the...Synology 1900AC. Facilitating some NAS capabilities is a big thing and the timemachine support means I don't have to keep reminded the spouse to backup the laptop. Am concerned about the range, so I may end up returning it.

In general I agree, though the Synology received pretty good marks as a router and as a storage solution. I'm dying for storage right now as well as having network issues so being able to moving a few terabytes is the ultimate short term solution but gets me over the hump until I figure out something better. 10 local terabytes and 20 external tb just don't get you very far anymore. I'll probably regret it within weeks and have to bite the bullet and fix my storage in general.

what do you guys need the massive home storage for?

just curious. is it for media like movies? red i assume for your photographs. dont want to store them on a cloud service?

i have a 2tb disk i use for backup here, and then i back that up at a disk i keep at my office. but that's dirt simple setup (non redundant local disks). curious why you need super massive stuff.

i would try and keep the systems separate, network and storage really should be orthogonal. 

get a router that is just a router, and wireless access points that are just access points. get that set up and humming. or ive had success with running multiple airport extremes (one primary that handles routing and addressing, the others are slaves that are just in bridge mode), connected via ethernet. dirt simple to setup.

then get your storage system in place and stick it on your network. 

I have a 6tb collection of movies and tv shows.  Cloud storage is inconvenient for anything other than backup.  Plus you don't get home streaming that way.  For example I use VLC on my AppleTV to play the videos on my NAS.

4 minutes ago, nate said:

I have a 6tb collection of movies and tv shows.  Cloud storage is inconvenient for anything other than backup.  Plus you don't get home streaming that way.  For example I use VLC on my AppleTV to play the videos on my NAS.

ah got it, that's what i figured.

where did you get the data. did you rip all your dvds? 

ive always wanted to have a home streaming setup like that, but i dont want to spend the 8,000 years it would take ripping all my movies.

Mine is all photos, derivatives of photos, catalogs of photos, etc.

My main system is an SSD drive for the system and applications

Two internal WD Black 4tb drives. One is cache (lightroom) and document storage. I really should have it dedicated to just cache, but my document storage is pretty minimal. I've tried using cheaper drives...but it's a pain in the ass having to recover them when they fail in a year or two. 

Second drive is for new images and "master files". Master files being published version of a photo, photoshop versions, etc.

I usually have about a year's worth of images local. At that point I tend to move them to external storage. If I ever had a set that I needed to work on for an extended period, I can move them back to local storage...but I've rarely had to do that. For a few photos, not a big deal to keep them external.

Right now my external storage is a joke...multiple external USB drives, I've pretty much built it ad hoc. When I need storage, it's cheaper to buy another drive rather than redesign my system which I always tell myself I'll get to...and then never get to.

For every external drive I have with data, I have a corresponding drive for backup. There is also an additional drive for system and random backup.

I then have Crashplan for cloud backup of all images. Took a few months to get the initial full backup, but once that was done it keeps synced up in short order. At most it takes 48 hours.

For situations where I come back from a large trip, I usually make sure I keep a set of the photos on a portable drive for a week or two to make sure he files make it through the backup process.

Realistically I need to simplify the storage so instead of using a shitload of external drives it all goes on a dedicated storage solution. Luckily speed is not a primary need.