• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Camera Pros

22 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

2 quick questions.

what do the size on a lens mean? Like why is a 70-200 better for long range than a 55-210?

and is it better to adjust aperture or shutter speed to increase exposure? Im trying to master the AP setting, but is there an advantage to SP (for say a sunrise?)

The millimeter number on a lens is how much of a zoom it can achieve. 50mm is the standard view, 24mm is solidly wide angle, 70mm is clearly telephoto. 200mm is very telephoto, and one of my most used focal lengths, but it's not a telescope, you still need to move your feet to get close enough. For sports / wildlife many people prefer 400, 600, or 700mm lenses (which are insanely expensive).

Something that's important to consider about the difference between a 70-200 and a 55-210 is that there are always tradeoffs. The more complex a lens becomes the more it has to increase in price and decrease in quality. You really have to ask yourself what you are going to use a lens for and why. The 70-200 comes in an f4 or an f2.8 variety, while I'd imagine the 55-210 is f5.6 and maybe not even constantly (cheaper lens often adjust aperture up and get darker as you zoom), going as high as f8 as a minimum. With this rule you'll find that prime lenses (single aperture lenses) tend to be the cheapest and highest quality lenses on the market.

As for the last question there is no discernible difference between methods when it comes to adjusting exposure. You get different effects in the photo though. Opening up the aperture (lowering the number) increases back ground blur (decreasing the area in focus) while lowering the shutter speed increases motion blur. You can see the effects if you play around with that exposure simulator. You may find the SP mode useful for situations where you are trying to capture anything moving, or anything low light. 

Had mixed results this weekend. Had to use my other cameras zoom lens, which is just so so, on my new camera. Results were meh.

Played around with different settings. Didnt get near as good pics as last year with my cheaper camera, shooting on auto.

That said, it was a pretty good learning experience. The different settings/functions are clicking and making sense finally.

Shutter priority is in essence auto, it simply locks one aspect of the triangle...shutter speed...and then autocalculates the aperture and ISO required to get the correct exposure.

Might have had an issue with your autofocus. For fast moving subjects you need to set the camera up with continuous autofocus that can help track a moving subject Or use manual focus and hope the plan moves through the area you have in focus...that's a strategy I use in street photography.

Yeah, the autofocus was killing me. My a6000 AF is lightning fast. This one not so much (could be my fault?)

Only got a few shots i was aiming for. With blurred propellers. Plenty of blurred planes, unfortunately.

The lens was the big problem. Its a cropped sensor lens, not really made for my new camera. And the zoom is just so so. I almost wonder if i should have just used my original camera w that lens, maybe it would have worked out better?

Either way, great learning experience.

41 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Every camera has a learning curve, you just gotta keep practicing. I’ve always struggled with new cameras because they just function a little different and you gotta adjust. 

What lens do you have for the a7ii?

28-70.

Not near enough zoom for that day. But good for other stuff.

I used a 55-210 for that day...if i switched the camera to APS-C, would it have given me more zoom?

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

28-70.

Not near enough zoom for that day. But good for other stuff.

I used a 55-210 for that day...if i switched the camera to APS-C, would it have given me more zoom?

If you were using the 55-210 you should’ve been in aps-c mode. APS-C mode is essentially the equivalent of digital zoom on your phone. The 55-210 is designed for the smaller aps-c sensor so with a full frame sensor like on the a7ii (not in aps-c mode) you are gona get very dark, potentially black, edges and poor image quality in the areas of the frame that would be cut off on aps-c. 

In the case of your a7ii in aps-c mode vs your a6000, the older a6000 might preform better in this specific scenario because of the higher pixel density (you lose a lot of pixels in aps-c mode). 

13 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So if I switched modes i would have gotten better quality pics? I knew i missed a step ?

What I mean is that APS-C mode on your a7ii is not going to function as well as an actual APS-C camera like your a6000. But if you are using the APS-C lens from your a6000 on your a7ii, then you need to be in APS-C mode.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Loyal fan base, but nobody actually gives a shit about Pentax.

i had a pentax 40 years ago. it was a good, solid camera and took great pictures. i had the K1000.

18 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

None.

I started with sony, now Im stuck with it 😛

But I love mine

Now that covid is over maybe ill get to use them again

Yeah, I've been back to shooting occasional gigs. I got kicked out of Corona Del Mar recently, where I was told that if not for covid I'd be getting a citation for shooting without a permit. Fucking fascists!