• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would You Do This Trade? Angels/Mets

Okay, it's a long day here, and I've had some time to think. The Mets need a 1B. The Angels need . . . well . . . everywhere! 

So here is my proposal: C.J. Cron for Gabriel Ynoa and Brandon Nimmo. Ynoa is a control pitcher doing well in AAA, but not a main strikeout guy. Nimmo is a left-handed hitting CF with gap power (and a potential to add about 10-12 HRs) and decent OB skills. 

Let's discuss . . . 

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'd make that trade but I don't think that the Mets would bite.

My thoughts exactly.  Don't see a NL team trading one of their top prospects for Cron who has mediocre offense and no defense.

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'd make that trade but I don't think that the Mets would bite.

Why not? They definitely need a hole and are in a win-now mode. Power is a premium, and Cron would mash in many of their opponent's ballparks. Ynoa and Nimmo appear to be spare parts for them (they have an OF and rotation set). We could add a piece if you think it's not enough value, but, it is a young, cost-controlled ML player for two spare parts.

1 minute ago, nate said:

My thoughts exactly.  Don't see a NL team trading one of their top prospects for Cron who has mediocre offense and no defense.

I'm not sure that the Mets see either one as a top prospect. Sickels has Nimmo as a B- with a falling value, and didn't even include Ynoa in his Top-20 prospects.

As for the hole we'd get at 1B, we can bring Cowart up for 3B and Escobar and Calhoun can backup 1B.

Part of the value for Cron is filling the hole that the Mets have now for the bulk of the season and the consequences that it would have for our team.

What'd they do with Cron after Duda returned?

Mets would probably have more interest in Calhoun. Could play first until Duda returns, then move to OF. Maybe sending a starter with Kole, getting one of their young starters back and a couple prospects, would make more sense, but not really realistic still.

Santiago + Calhoun for Wheeler/Matz, Ynoa, Nimmo, and another prospect?***

*** forgot to say, this would be if the Angels were tanking hard in a few weeks and playing for the future.

Edited by totdprods

13 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Why not? They definitely need a hole and are in a win-now mode. Power is a premium, and Cron would mash in many of their opponent's ballparks. Ynoa and Nimmo appear to be spare parts for them (they have an OF and rotation set). We could add a piece if you think it's not enough value, but, it is a young, cost-controlled ML player for two spare parts.

The NL East though has pitching friendly/neutral at worst parks, aside from HR crazy Citizens Bank in Philly.  Plus Citi Field for 50% of his games is very pitching friendly.

Edited by Angel Oracle

In isolation it isn't a bad trade but the Angels aren't out of it yet and with Pujols age I'd be worried about our own depth at 1B and moving Cron would leave us very little backup so I'd personally pass on that alone.

I think we're better off holding onto Cron for one more year at the least to see if he can consistently become a .750-800 OPS player. If he does that, he'd have some trade value, especially in the AL. 

I could see Cron being mentioned in deadline deals. Nava/Choi and Marte could possibly form a comparable 1B/DH platoon with Bert, but I wouldn't move Cron over it. But it could be a decent replacement should he become a trading chip.