• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards needs TJ Surgery and maybe Heaney too

nate

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Looks like I picked a bad week to quit taking amphetamines.

And I picked a bad week to start taking amphetamines

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

My idea of trading Calhoun and Richards this past offseason for some MLB-ready prospects is looking less crazy now. What a bummer. 
This actually puts us in an even worse situation the next couple seasons, as we don't have the depth to even deal away much of anything now.

That still would have been a dumb trade 

Newcomb's command looks like hot shit. He wouldn't help out in this situation other than being a body to throw on the mound. It sucks balls.

I fucking feel for Richards, man. The guy has nasty stuff but has had two major injuries now. I hope he can come back in a year and a half and ride out his career with no more major injuries. Its a damn shame. My sister's boyfriend knows him pretty well from their days in OKC and he's said so much great stuff about Richards. 

I'm in the boat for Heaney to get it out of the way now. Rehabbing it could work, but more often then not, you just end up with the surgery.

Who is traceable? Honestly, the only players I would hold onto would be Trout & Simmons. Every one else is expendable but I don't think you'll get much for anyone not named Calhoun. 

I expect the Angels to be Heavy players in the pitching market this offseason. Come on down, Strasburg. 

29 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Nolan Ryan’s career ended in the Kingdome on September 22, 1993. ... “He suffered a torn ulnar lateral ligament"....At 46.

At 46. So he never had the surgery. He decided to retire instead of surgery and rehab then attempting a comeback at the age of 48, after pitching 5386 major league innings.

How many pitchers not named Moyer, Niekro, or Paige pitch until they're 46? Maybe Dickey might.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

why do you think I'm pissed off about those comments?  

I'm actually more annoyed with myself for wasting time trying to combat stupidity.  

In their defense Doc it is ignorance this time not stupidity.

1 minute ago, Mark68 said:

At 46. So he never had the surgery. He decided to retire instead of surgery and rehab then attempting a comeback at the age of 48, after pitching 5386 major league innings.

How many pitchers not named Moyer, Niekro, or Paige pitch until they're 46? Maybe Dickey might.

So then you agree he is a freak of nature.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

why do you think I'm pissed off about those comments?  

I'm actually more annoyed with myself for wasting time trying to combat stupidity.  

Must be difficult being the smartest person.

Just now, eligrba said:

Must be difficult being the smartest person.

hangin, it is as simple as not flying off the handle and making assumptions about things because you want simple answers and you want someone to blame. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So then you agree he is a freak of nature.

No. I don't attribute anything to being a "freak of nature". I just think that TJS is avoidable and Ryan proved it for 27 years. He certainly was a singular talent, but it's not like he didn't work hard to become the pitcher he became and to have the longevity that he had.

If you equate having a certain mindset to being a freak of nature, then you do. I just don't believe in "freaks of nature" as a general rule.

I don't believe the HIPPA stuff that Saltzer is selling.
No I am not a doctor, nor an attorney.  But I follow a lot of sports.

When Steph Curry gets hurt (first the foot, then the knee), nobody from the Warriors was peddling "stomach virus" or "heart palpitations".  The sideline reporter discussed the specific injuries immediately.

Its so "angels" that they sell a forearm issue as "hydration".

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

Never heard of a dehydration turning into a torn UCL before, but that's just me. I don't think the Angels medical staff is good. That's my opinion. He doesn't have to like it.

I guess we all have opinions that are based on almost no legitimate info.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

yes.  that is what I am saying.  Think for a second why I might actually know some stuff about the Angels medical staff.  nevermind.  

Playing hard to get......

Very intriguing.....

Just now, yk9001 said:

When Steph Curry gets hurt (first the foot, then the knee), nobody from the Warriors was peddling "stomach virus" or "heart palpitations".  The sideline reporter discussed the specific injuries immediately.

HIPAA forbids medical staff from releasing information to any parties other than those you designate on the form you sign when you see the doctor or are admitted. I've signed plenty of HIPAA forms. If the Warriors released the information about Curry's foot, it's guaranteed that they only did so after Curry's consent. Otherwise, he'd have grounds to sue the Warriors' doctors/training staff.

3 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I suggest you get the medical records of a famous and/or rich person and release them without their consent. See what happens!

RE: HIPAA: what's been said is true, the player has to actively consent to have information released by the medical providers they see, or disclose the information themselves. However, non-medical staff is not bound by HIPAA, which is why, say, a sports journalist can report on an injury once it's been disclosed by the med staff/PR. And AFAIK MLB also has a policy of not disclosing injuries or illness that are not directly related to the game in the interest of player privacy (like when Johnny G. was out last year, it was reported as a "personal medical matter" until he chose to disclose it).

In the case of both Richards and Heaney, is it at all possible that they were in denial and trying to come up with every possible alternative reason before finally admitting that the players had dire injuries? Or that they actually did not realize the extent of those injuries? Both of those would be reasonable. Right after Richards left the game, it would have been plausible, at that moment, to think, "well, the guy's having muscle cramps. Meh." It would also have been plausible that when the arm continued to really bug Richards after a few days, they'd realized it was worse.

Richards has not entirely been himself all season (although he should have had more in the wins column...thanks offense), IMHO it's possible something felt off to him all along and he was trying to fight through it. After being out so long with his knee, the prospect of losing another season has to really bite for him.