• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards needs TJ Surgery and maybe Heaney too

nate

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Right, Nolan Ryan is a perfect example of a typical pitcher.

He's an example of a pitcher who threw hard his entire career and never needed the surgery. Maybe because his delivery was efficient, maybe because his work out regimen was perfect, maybe some combination. But he proves that you don't have to have the surgery if you throw hard.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

No, it is still crazy since you had no knowledge beforehand that Richards would blow out his elbow.

Dude has long seemed like a potential TJ candidate and as soon as he blew out his knee I had a bad feeling he was going to wind up being one of those "coulda been if not for injuries" type pitchers. 

It was crazy but this team was set up on a razor-thin margin of competing in '16-'17. I'm glad they gambled and once they balked on any FA'd I was glad they didn't deal any, but could have been a golden opportunity. Oh well. There's other ways they can still work on rebuilding this season and next.

16 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

What do we even have to trade at this point?

Not much, which was why I mentioned Street, Calhoun and Simmons....we could very quickly be the Braves if we trade the few players of value we have.....but the alternative, treading water and trying to scramble to get to .500, isn't very pleasant either....

Just now, nando714 said:

Newcomb could be ready next season

oh wait...

Newcomb's another guy who people should be concerned about. The issue with a lot of pitchers who have the surgery is their delivery, and specifically the torque they put on their arms and shoulders.

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Not much, which was why I mentioned Street, Calhoun and Simmons....we could very quickly be the Braves if we trade the few players of value we have.....but the alternative, treading water and trying to scramble to get to .500, isn't very pleasant either....

Don't see them trading FOR Simmons only to then trade him like a year later

Street, Calhoun, Smith, maybe Santiago, uh....Escobar I guess, maybe Cron. Street, Smith, Escobar, and Cron wouldn't net htem much of anything. Calhoun and Santiago would net them a nice prospect though

4 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

He's an example of a pitcher who threw hard his entire career and never needed the surgery. Maybe because his delivery was efficient, maybe because his work out regimen was perfect, maybe some combination. But he proves that you don't have to have the surgery if you throw hard.

Right, we all know that not every single pitcher has to have Tommy John surgery, and we also know what types of pitchers are at a higher risk than others. Velocity, heavy reliance on sliders, and over work are three main factors. Mechanics, training, and genetics I'm sure are all very important as well, but not as obvious to identify.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tanaka successfully rehabbed and UCL strain last year and didn't need TJ surgery. While it's probably inevitable that Heaney needs surgery (because, Buttercup), maybe we should hope he's able to avoid it instead of sports sciencing from our couches. 

eh... nevermind. IT'S THE END. 

3 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Street, Calhoun, Smith, maybe Santiago, uh....Escobar I guess, maybe Cron. Street, Smith, Escobar, and Cron wouldn't net htem much of anything. Calhoun and Santiago would net them a nice prospect though

Not a good answer to this.....we'll just have to see....but I would definitely trade Smith and Escobar, they are FA at the end of the year....beyond that, maybe Street....teams might overpay for a closer at the deadline....not sure otherwise...would love to see Weaver or CJ get on a roll prior to the deadline....might get something there....

Edited by DMVol

I would hang onto Calhoun and Santiago for the remainder of '16. Let them play out the year, they're both doing well and if they have a good year their value will be much higher this offseason when the FA pool is thin.

Plus, the AL West has been kind of mediocre. Maybe we get lucky and Heaney returns in fall, Skaggs comes up soon and does well, and a combo of the rest (Trop, Smith, Kendrick, Wilson) wind up being passable. If the offense comes around, and it's shown some signs of life lately, they may be doing alright still.

That said, I would start exploring ways to play younger players to determine their long-term usefulness, and deal a vet or two if a good offer comes along.

15 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Not every pitcher who throws hard has to get the surgery. Nolan Ryan pitched for nearly 25 years in the majors with zero Tommy John surgeries.

I know, I know, statistics and probabilities are hard. Think of it like this. A great baseball team wins 100 wins in a season. You go to a game and see one of the 62 games they loose. Is your take away now "damn, this team lost a game. They must really suck."? Counter examples to a norm don't make a great argument against a probability.

8 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

I'd like to think that once Street gets healthy, he could net us something decent as well as Smith. Street's owed some money obviously but competing teams like Texas and Toronto may be willing to spend to upgrade their crappy bullpens. The Jays pen is freaking AWFUL. 

Lets just hope Calhoun keeps it up so we can flip him for a decent haul. This is Epplers one shot at rebuilding the farm with the few pieces the Halos have to trade. Billy can't afford to miss on any of his trades, we're already in rough enough shape moving forward. 

Edited by CanadianHalo

This totally sucks, so much for my prediction of being around the same if not better than last season.

For you guys that are pissed that the team "lied to us", grow up and get over it.  He came out of a game a week ago.  I highly doubt that this is something as simple as getting an MRI, immediately knowing that it requires surgery and the player immediately coming to grips with this and going under the knife right away.  Does it matter if we know?  Does it change how the team operates?  As Blarg said the only thing it does is raise the acquisition cost of a starting pitcher via trade (assuming we had anything of value to move for a starting pitcher) if you are more desperate.   

8 minutes ago, TheHumorousHalo said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tanaka successfully rehabbed and UCL strain last year and didn't need TJ surgery. While it's probably inevitable that Heaney needs surgery (because, Buttercup), maybe we should hope he's able to avoid it instead of sports sciencing from our couches. 

eh... nevermind. IT'S THE END. 

Ya, but he still missed significant time, lost velocity on his fastball, and had to shy away from his slider. He essentially had to relearn how to pitch with a less than full strength elbow.

17 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I would guess it has more to do with him being the exception or simply a freak of nature.