• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards needs TJ Surgery and maybe Heaney too

nate

2 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

No way Arte adds anything of significance to the budget. This season was done before it started. We had Skaggs rehabbing, Shoemaker coming down to earth, Heaney was a no show, Richards was declared an Ace without a good enough resume, Wilson is on hold and our offense is way below par. It's going to be a long season but some players will get opportunities that we never expected. Tickets should be really cheap at the break.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with this.  Given that there already seemed to be pretty rigid budget constraints, I can't see Arte loosening the purse strings to spend money on has-beens. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with this.  Given that there already seemed to be pretty rigid budget constraints, I can't see Arte loosening the purse strings to spend money on has-beens. 

We might add someone really cheap. Keep in mind we are almost certainly deadline sellers now, which will help to stay under the cap. No reason to hang onto the likes of Escobar, Soto or even Smith after July if we're out of it. 

2 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

We might add someone really cheap. Keep in mind we are almost certainly deadline sellers now, which will help to stay under the cap. No reason to hang onto the likes of Escobar, Soto or even Smith after July if we're out of it. 

A league-minimum type deal, sure.  But I have a hard time seeing us outbidding anyone if the Lincecum thing becomes even mildly competitive, for example.

1 minute ago, bloodbrother said:

What a disaster this has all turned into. Their 2 best young arms out for all of this season and part of next season. Yikes

Will be a struggle to get to even 80 wins this year

I would be surprised if we lost fewer than 90 games, assuming Heaney gets the surgery.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

It was going to be a struggle to get to 80 WITH them...

Yeah, I saw this team as a .500 or slightly above .500 team as currently constructed. Now that the only real strength of the team(starting pitching) has been nuked to hell, there's a good chance they finish with somewhere around 72-75 wins.

44 minutes ago, Chuck Richter said:

Why do the Angels bullshit us with reports of other injuries only to drop bombs on us later on. Ugh! 

@Dochalo called it. He said Richards was grabbing his forearm and lost velocity before he excited the game. 

Fuck balls.

I had a feeling this would happen because it is just such terrible news that I don't think the organization even wanted to consider the possibility.

37 minutes ago, DMVol said:

No...but it may be time to consider a partial rebuild.....assuming things bottom out and we're not in the race in July, I'd start by trading guys who have some value and will be FA at the end of the year---Escobar, Joe Smith.....I'd think about trading Street if he can get healthy.....we're not likely to need a closer for awhile anyway....I'd also give some thought to trading Simmons and Calhoun, but only for young guys with a big upside....And if anybody would be foolish enough to take on a good chunk of Pujols' contract (not likely), I'd think about eating the rest.....pretty much put everybody on the table but Trout....

What do we even have to trade at this point?

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

What do we even have to trade at this point?

Santiago, Calhoun, and Tropeano are about the only things they got. Of course, with Richards/Heaney looking like they'll be missing all of this year and portions of the next, they probably need to hold onto Santiago/Tropeano

27 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I am no authority on this but every pitcher in the Angels organization is taught to make a slider their secondary pitch. The curve is like their fourth option now and you are seeing more and more Tommy John surgeries than ever before. It could be the pitch more than the pitchers like when pitchers tried throwing the forkball (Donnie Moore's signature pitch that made and ruined his career) and blew their shoulders up.

Tommy John is directly linked with velocity. I had always assumed that this would happen to Richards at some point. It's hard to throw that hard for a long time and not hurt yourself.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Tommy John is directly linked with velocity. I had always assumed that this would happen to Richards at some point. It's hard to throw that hard for a long time and not hurt yourself.

Throw that hard with his mechanics. His mechanics always scared me with his weird delivery.

This sucks

The number of pitchers getting TJ surgery is getting ridiculous.    Some have surmised that pitchers are pushing the limits at too young of an age today, even down to LL.   Time to revisit that?   

Not to mention's Blarg's thought on throwing the slider.   And also, isn't the splitter also something that damages a pitcher if too many are thrown?   If so, Shoe needs to consider a permanent move to the pen, if he continues to throw a lot of splitters.

Yep, at this rate by September, they will be calling up pitchers from A+ ball. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

7 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Not every pitcher who throws hard has to get the surgery. Nolan Ryan pitched for nearly 25 years in the majors with zero Tommy John surgeries.