• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards needs TJ Surgery and maybe Heaney too

nate

3 hours ago, Mark68 said:

I refuse to believe that it's just a case of Ryan being an anomaly or freak of nature. He essentially was the first pitcher to work out all year long and I strongly believe that there is a connection between what he did with his conditioning and his ability to stay healthy. I also believe there was a mechanical component.

I do think that the rash of pitchers having to have surgery nowadays, despite how much pitching has changed, does have a conditioning and mechanics component. But I also believe that it starts in little league and Babe Ruth leagues. Much like the culture of football (and soccer) is changing to reduce concussions from the earliest ages, the same is going to have to be done for baseball, if for a different reason (obviously, concussions are a more serious issue for the player's health).

If Ryan's success was all about conditioning, then tell me, what do you think is Bartolo Colon's secret?

Just now, Dave Saltzer said:

Re: HIPAA, medical staff and I believe training staff are covered by HIPAA, and cannot share any information, even simple stuff, like what city the player lives in, even if it can be found out from other sources. The information can't be hared with anyone, without the consent of the patient, and must be protected essentially forever.

I went to a doctor one time that accepted only cash.  No insurance, no Medicare, nothing.  She said she was exempt from HIPAA.  I'm not sure if that meant all of HIPAA, or just some of it.

In any case, that's what I was driving at here.  Team doctors and team medical staff may not fall under HIPAA.  I'm sure MLB and MLBPA have their own confidentiality policies. 

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

So every other sports team, including every NFL game where sideline reporters are instantaneously updating injury news - all those teams are furiously getting HIPAA consents....okay.

it's become so obscure in the NHL that teams now say "perry has an upper body injury" or "getzlaff has a lower body injury." nothing more specific than that is offered.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

it's become so obscure in the NHL that teams now say "perry has an upper body injury" or "getzlaff has a lower body injury." nothing more specific than that is offered.

That's because nobody knows until their bodies are thawed out. 

2 hours ago, Angels N Skins said:

Richards sure hasn't been the picture of health in his time with the club

well, it's not like he deliberately blew out his knee or ripped the ligament from his elbow.

7 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

I went to a doctor one time that accepted only cash.  No insurance, no Medicare, nothing.  She said she was exempt from HIPAA.  I'm not sure if that meant all of HIPAA, or just some of it.

In any case, that's what I was driving at here.  Team doctors and team medical staff may not fall under HIPAA.  I'm sure MLB and MLBPA have their own confidentiality policies. 

The only exception to HIPAA in the USA is with medical providers who don't do anything electronically at all. If the doctor had all paper records, didn't take insurance and didn't call in prescriptions, that would have applied to her. However, 99% of the doctors in the USA would not fall into that loophole. Any other medical provider or staff member absolutely has to follow HIPAA.

The state of California also has additional medical privacy rules, such as the Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA). 

https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/HIPAA-Administrative-Simplification/HIPAAGenInfo/AreYouaCoveredEntity.html

13 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

So every other sports team, including every NFL game where sideline reporters are instantaneously updating injury news - all those teams are furiously getting HIPAA consents....okay.

Most likely scenario would be that players sign something allowing disclosure of game-related injuries or illness as part of their contracts so there's a standing HIPAA consent in place.

16 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I think it is pretty obvious when a guys shin is protruding outside of the skin it's not dehydration.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

why do you think I'm pissed off about those comments?  

I'm actually more annoyed with myself for wasting time trying to combat stupidity.  

trying to combat stupidity on the internet is like the fourth circle of hell.

better leave it to the professionals, like peyt's mom.