• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

Tuesday, August 15, 2017:
Salt Lake (62-61) won 9-5 vs. Tacoma (61-62)
Eric Young, Jr: 3-5, R, 3B, 2 RBI, SB (20)
Michael Hermosillo: 2-5, 2B, RBI, 3 K, OF Assist - slashing a decent .265/.321/.469/.790 in 12 G, 49 AB at SLC; 3 BB, 17 K though
Shane Robinson: 2-4, 2 R, 2B, BB, OF Assist
David Fletcher: 0-4, R, BB, 2 K
Nolan Fontana: 3-5, R, 2B, HR (9), RBI, 2 K
Tony Sanchez: 3-3, R, 2 RBI, BB - .295/.386/.426/.812 since PCL ASB
Troy Scribner: 5 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 3 ER, BB, 2 K
Mike Morin: 2 IP, H, 2 K

Inland Empire (58-64) won 2-0 vs. Lake Elsinore (56-66)
Jahmai Jones: 2-4, 2B, BB, K - 18 game hitting streak
Keith Grieshaber: 3-4, RBI, K, SB (9), CS (2)
Joe Gatto (3rd A+ start): 6 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 5 K, ERA down to 1.84
Sean Isaac: 2 IP, 3 K

Burlington (51-69) lost 2-5 to Cedar Rapids (63-58)
Leonardo Rivas: 0-4, 2 K
Jonah Todd: 0-4, 2 K
Brennan Morgan: 1-4, R, HR (4), RBI, K
John Schuknecht: 1-3, R, HR (9), RBI, E (3)
Luis Madero: 5 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, HR
Jonah Wesely: 3 IP, 2 H, ER, BB, K

Orem (36-15) won 6-3 vs. Helena (20-31)
Brandon Marsh: 1-5, R, K
Harrison Wenson: 1-4, HR (11), 2 RBI, K, E (7)
Manuel Guzman: 3-3, 2 R, HR (4), RBI, BB, CS (3)
Franklin Torres: 2-4, R, 2B
Mayky Perez: 5 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, BB, 4 K
Luke Lind: 3 IP, 2 H, ER, BB, 6 K
Isaac Mattson: IP, 2 K

AZL Angels (24-18) won 4-2 vs. AZL Reds (17-24)
Jacob Pearson: 1-5, R, K, 
Jordon Adell: 2-5, R, 2B, 2 K
Nonie Williams: 0-2, R, 2 BB, K
Jimmy Barnes: 2-5, R, 2 K, SB (5), CS (1)
Keep an eye on...
Kida de la Cruz: 1.2 IP, BB, 3 K - plucked from Nationals org, 6'5", 240 RHP - 16.2 IP, 3.78 ERA, 10 BB, 24 K, .180 BAA, 1.26 WHIP
Wilkel Hernandez: 5 IP, 3 H, ER, 6 BB - 18 years old, 6'3", 160 - over his career; 13 G, 10 GS - 47 IP, 1.72 ERA, .186 BAA, 1.00 WHIP, 17 BB, 42 K

DSL Angels (27-31) won 8-3 vs. DSL Rockies (29-31)
Daniel Ozoria (SS): 2-5, 2 R, RBI, K
Miguel de la Cruz (CF): 2-4, R, 4 RBI, 2 BB, K, 2 SB (15) - 19 years old - in 53 G, 183 AB - .230/.377/.410/.787, 19 XBH, 42 BB, 48 K
Oliver Carmona (3B): 3-6, 3 RBI, K, E (21) - slashing .296/.407/.413/.821 - 14 XBH, 37 BB, 33 K
Julio de la Cruz (2B): 1-2, R, 3 BB, K - slashing .233/.370/.356/.726 - 17 years old, 32 BB, 58 K
Jesus Nunez (DH): 1-3, R, 2 BB, K
Kiber Arvelaez: 2 IP, 2 H, ER, BB, 2 K

17 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Thanks for doing these @totdprods, I really appreciate it

No prob, happy to do it.

Once Orem starts or ASB hits is when I really start paying attention. You've gotten enough time to argue against sample size and have enough data to look at trends. 

I'm always amazed by small things happening that aren't on anyone's radar, like Andrew Vinson's conversion to the rotation, Joe Gatto and Jake Jewell's quiet, yet significant, improvement this season, the 17-year old DSL infielder Julio de la Cruz who may be striking out a ton and have an unimpressive BA, but is racking up walks and extra base hits, or Luis Pena's 11-something k/9 as a starter since the Cal League ASB break. Or whatever a Nate Bertness is.

It at the very least offers some optimism for the future and gives a glimpse at surprises that may come.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

No prob, happy to do it.

Once Orem starts or ASB hits is when I really start paying attention. You've gotten enough time to argue against sample size and have enough data to look at trends. 

I'm always amazed by small things happening that aren't on anyone's radar, like Andrew Vinson's conversion to the rotation, Joe Gatto and Jake Jewell's quiet, yet significant, improvement this season, the 17-year old DSL infielder Julio de la Cruz who may be striking out a ton and have an unimpressive BA, but is racking up walks and extra base hits, or Luis Pena's 11-something k/9 as a starter since the Cal League ASB break. Or whatever a Nate Bertness is.

It at the very least offers some optimism for the future and gives a glimpse at surprises that may come.

Not so sure about Gatto but Jewell is looking better and better and he has a tremendous ground ball rate (like 60%+). Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the rotation in the middle of next year.

25 minutes ago, ettin said:

Not so sure about Gatto but Jewell is looking better and better and he has a tremendous ground ball rate (like 60%+). Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the rotation in the middle of next year.

Gatto had an ERA of 7.03 in 15 starts last year. A WHIP near 2.00. He gave up over 12 hits per 9 innings and walked almost as many as he struck out.

In 24 starts this year, his ERA is 3.24. He isn't striking out enough and he walks far too many, but he's certainly turned his career around, and he's still young enough to possibly carve out a shot at bullpen depth. He's still only 22 as well. At the very least, he's probably  pitched himself into a Luis Madero/Jesus Castillo type to net a rental vet mid-reliever at a future deadline.

Jewell has definitely had the better turnaround though, no doubt.

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Gatto had an ERA of 7.03 in 15 starts last year. A WHIP near 2.00. He gave up over 12 hits per 9 innings and walked almost as many as he struck out.

In 24 starts this year, his ERA is 3.24. He isn't striking out enough and he walks far too many, but he's certainly turned his career around, and he's still young enough to possibly carve out a shot at bullpen depth. He's still only 22 as well. At the very least, he's probably  pitched himself into a Luis Madero/Jesus Castillo type to net a rental vet mid-reliever at a future deadline.

Jewell has definitely had the better turnaround though, no doubt.

Gatto is improving but you can't quote the ERA with those peripherals screaming not good, particularly that walk rate.

Ground ball artists can get away with peripherals not being as good but a 1.6 or so K/BB for the year is not good no matter how you paint it. I would love to see him continue to improve tot's you know that, let's both send good karma his way! :D

If he continues to improve and makes it to the Majors having a defensive unit with Andrelton Simmons behind him would do wonders as well.

7 minutes ago, ettin said:

Gatto is improving but you can't quote the ERA with those peripherals screaming not good, particularly that walk rate.

Ground ball artists can get away with peripherals not being as good but a 1.6 or so K/BB for the year is not good no matter how you paint it. I would love to see him continue to improve tot's you know that, let's both send good karma his way! :D

If he continues to improve and makes it to the Majors having a defensive unit with Andrelton Simmons behind him would do wonders as well.

You're right in that his peripherals on the season don't scream massive improvement, but that's the point I made about reading between the stat lines once the minor league seasons gets deeper.  Recently they stuck him on the 'Ervin Santana 5 IP limit' in Burlington and it made a noticeable difference in his peripherals. This doesn't get picked up on when glancing at the stats overall. Hits way down, walks way down, runs way down, strikeouts up. It's a semblance of hope from a guy who could've retired after last season and it wouldn't have surprised me.

Seemingly placed on the Ervin Santana 'Just Pitch 5 Innings Plan':

Joe Gatto: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K - last 5 starts, all 5 innings: 25 IP, 1.44 ERA, 6.1 H9, 1.8 BB9, 7.9 K9

Wednesday, August 16th, 2017:
Salt Lake (63-61) won 3-2 vs. Tacoma (61-63)
Facing Mariners top SP prospect Andrew Moore
Michael Hermosillo: 2-3, 3 R, 2B, HR (3), RBI, BB
Carlos Perez: 3-4, RBI, K
John Lamb: 7 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, E (2)
Deolis Guerra: IP, BB, 2 K - at SLC - 34.1 IP, 1.05 ERA, .151 BAA, 0.70 WHIP, 1 HRA, 6 BB, 34 K

Mobile (56-64) lost 2-3 to Jacksonville (56-64)
Brennon Lund: 1-3, R, E (1)
Matt Thaiss: 1-4, R
Zach Gibbons: 2-3, RBI, BB, K, SB (5) - hitting .359 in last ten games 
Tyler Carpenter: 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, BB, 5 K
Abel de los Santos: 2 IP, BB, K - at AA: 27.2 IP, 2.93 ERA, .208 BAA, 0.98 WHIP, 2 HRA, 7 BB, 29 K
Damien Magnifico: IP, BB, 2 K

Inland Empire (58-65) lost 7-8 vs. Lake Elsinore (57-66)
Jahmai Jones: 2-5, R, 2B, 3B, RBI, K - 19 game hitting streak
Jared Walsh: 2-5, R, 2B, K
Connor Justus: 2-4, R, RBI
Keith Grieshaber: 2-4, 2 RBI, OF assist
Jose Rodriguez: 6 IP, 7 H, ER, 6 K - last two GS: 12 IP, 10 H, 1.50 ERA, 0 BB, 19 K

Burlington (52-69) won 7-2 vs. Cedar Rapids (63-59)
Jonah Todd: 0-3, 2 R, BB
Leonardo Rivas: 1-2, 2 R, 2 BB, E (2) - in first 12 games at Burlington: .186/.340/.209/.549 - 8 BB, 10 K, 6 SB, 0 CS
Richard Fecteau: 1-3, R, 3B, 3 RBI, BB, CS (2)
Brennan Morgan: 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI
Brandon Sandoval: 2-4, K, SB (1)
Jose Suarez: 4.2 IP, 4 H, ER, 2 BB, 7 K, HR - on the season (AZL/Burl.) - 12 GS, 3.69 ERA, .249 BAA, 1.23 WHIP, 53.2 IP, 74 K - 19 year old LHP
Jackson Zarubin: 2 IP, H, 2 K - 59 IP, 1.98 ERA, .271 BAA, 1.31 WHIP, 16 BB, 51 K

Orem (37-15) won 11-2 vs. Helena (20-32)
Torii Hunter: 4-5, 2 R, 3B, 3 RBI, BB, K, SB (7) - .324/.401/.432/.833 -  10 XBH, 13 BB, 26 Kin first 35 G, 139 AB of his career.
Ryan Vega: 3-6, 2 R, HR (3), 2 RBI, OF assist
David MacKinnon: 2-3, R, 3 BB - slashing a healthy .404/.512/.566/1.077 in first 27 G, 99 AB; 21 BB, 9 K, 10 XBH
Harrison Wenson: 1-4, R, RBI, 2 BB, K
Kevin Williams: 0-4, 3 R, 2 BB, SB (1)
Elvin Rodriguez: 5 IP, 2 H, 3 BB, 3 K
Manuel Guzman: 1-4, 2 BB, K

AZL Angels (25-18) won 10-5 vs. AZL Royals (18-23)
Jacob Pearson: 0-3, BB, SB (1)
Jordon Adell: 1-4, R, 2 K
Erven Roper: 2-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
Zane Gurwitz: 2-5, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI, SB (5)
Julio Garcia: 2-5, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI, K, E (7)
Dylan Woods: 3-4, 2 R, RBI, BB - first pro game
Johnny Morell: 4 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 7 K
Jorge Tavarez: 2 IP, 2 H, ER, 2 BB, 4 K, HR

DSL Angels (27-32) lost 12-13 to DSL Yankees (25-36)
Jose Quezada (CF): 2-3, 2 R, 2B, 2 BB, 2 SB (7)
Miguel de la Cruz (LF/CF): 2-3, 2 R, 2 RBI, BB, K, SB (16)
Big game from 17-year old infielder in DSL...
Julio de la Cruz (2B): 3-5, 3 R, 3B (6), HR (2), 5 RBI, K - .244/.376/.393/.768 with 15 XBH, 32 BB, 59 K in 53 G, 168 AB

So the Angels have three Rodriguez pitching prospects that are legit: Jose, Chris, and Elvin.

Jahmai just keeps hitting. I really hope he starts next year in AA.

I also think it is time to promote Wenson - give him a few weeks in A ball, with the hopes that he can start next year in A+. Or just send him to A+ now and see how he does.

All of a sudden the Angels have some outfield depth for next year: Herm, Lund, Sanger, Puello. I'd love to see Eppler go bold, not sign a left fielder, and let these guys battle it out in Spring Training for the starting job.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

All of a sudden the Angels have some outfield depth for next year: Herm, Lund, Sanger, Puello. I'd love to see Eppler go bold, not sign a left fielder, and let these guys battle it out in Spring Training for the starting job.

That would be really ambitious. Puello may not even be in the org next year. Has he cleared waivers yet? He may be able to refuse outright or be eligible for minor league FA this offseason. 

If Lund keeps this up I could see him at AAA to start next year. Sanger's been out awhile. Herm's plate discipline needs some work still, but he's been encouraging at AAA. 

They'd have to spend big elsewhere for me to be comfortable with that group for LF, but I definitely think they could get by with a stopgap 1-yr deal or expiring vet contract in LF. One of these guys should be able to start stealing ABs by midseason '18.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is Guerra coming back up in September?   Maybe he found an issue and worked it out, since being sent down?

1.05 ERA and 0.70 WHIP is sick at any level.

I imagine he has to! He was very solid last year and aside from a couple bad appearances earlier this year, was solid this year too

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That would be really ambitious. Puello may not even be in the org next year. Has he cleared waivers yet? He may be able to refuse outright or be eligible for minor league FA this offseason. 

If Lund keeps this up I could see him at AAA to start next year. Sanger's been out awhile. Herm's plate discipline needs some work still, but he's been encouraging at AAA. 

They'd have to spend big elsewhere for me to be comfortable with that group for LF, but I definitely think they could get by with a stopgap 1-yr deal or expiring vet contract in LF. One of these guys should be able to start stealing ABs by midseason '18.

My biggest concern is that they clog LF and/or RF with long-term contracts when the OF is incredibly talent-rich in the minors. If the choice is between clogging the outfield but with a better LFer in 2018, or keeping flexibility but with somewhat reduce performance in LF in 2018, I'll take the latter. But I think signing a one-year deal with someone like Maybin is fine.

The four players I mentioned should all be major league ready sometime in 2018; Puello is ready now. None of them are likely to be better than average players, although Herm could be a bit better eventually and Lund could surprise.

Now the problem with the stop-gap approach is you're signing a guy who probably won't be much better than those four, unless you take @ettin's approach and go after Michael Brantley or my approach and go after Brandon Belt, who can play 1B or LF. But the problem with these guys is that they won't come for free.

My first choice would be to try to pry Belt away from SF, maybe with a package like Matt Thaiss and Elvin Rodriguez or Grayson Long, as long as it doesn't involve the Big Three OF prospects, and preferably not Barria or Chris Rodriguez.

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Now the problem with the stop-gap approach is you're signing a guy who probably won't be much better than those four, unless you take @ettin's approach and go after Michael Brantley or my approach and go after Brandon Belt, who can play 1B or LF. But the problem with these guys is that they won't come for free.

We don't know that for sure though. Look how poor Cowart was his first two seasons up, and he had great numbers at SLC. Marte was fantastic in the bigs last year, and he struggled mightily this year. Cron is absent every April, even Trout's first taste was just alright. And Puello could be scooped up on waivers still. 

If we were looking at free agents who are more than likely guys landing 1-yr deals, I don't think you could totally say with confidence that a Jon Jay, Curtis Granderson, Melky Cabrera, even Ben Revere would be assuredly better/worse than Herm, Lund, Puello, etc. 

None of those guys will cost more than a few mil, and are easy enough to DFA/trade, a la Espinosa. What's the harm in a gamble like that? 
This isn't the best example because the alternatives didn't fare much better and Kaleb Cowart existed, but what if we had decided that Marte was the man at 3B and cut loose Escobar, didn't sign Valbuena? How would we have solved 3B midseason? Traded for Nick Franklin sooner? 

It's easier for this team to stack the depth charts in the offseason than acquire talent midseason at this point, lest we deal prospects. I don't seen any harm opening the year with stopgap FAs as opposed to rolling with youth early, if only to avoid a situation where we're paying higher prices for mediocre talent in June to fill holes. 

That's where Hermosillo, Lund, Sanger, Fletcher, Grayson Long, etc. will help change the narrative next year. When our '18 version of Revere, Espinosa, Pennington, Chavez starts to crack a couple months in, we'll be able to call up a prospect with some actual potential instead of relying on the Eric Young Jr and Shane Robinson's to bridge the gap. We won't have to try nabbing a Nick Franklin off waivers. We'll actually have a prospect to play with.

32 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

FYI I threw Brantley's name out there in the ring as a possibility but you could easily substitute him with A.J. Pollock, Hunter Pence, Adam Jones, Brett Gardner, Nick Markakis, Charlie Blackmon, Lonnie Chisenhall, Leonys Martin, or even Andrew McCutchen as a short-term gap filler. Pick your own poison if you like! :D

When I was working on the next to last portion of the Primer, last year, on lineup optimization I happened to pull up and filter a list of players, on a per PA basis, who have gotten the most total bases, walks, and hit by pitches, and Brantley's name was near the top of that list (so was Yunel Escobar by the way). That is the only reason I've advocated him more than others to date but he is not my perfect solution (none of them are really but there are some interesting names there).

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

FYI I threw Brantley's name out there in the ring as a possibility but you could easily substitute him with A.J. Pollock, Hunter Pence, Adam Jones, Brett Gardner, Nick Markakis, Charlie Blackmon, Lonnie Chisenhall, Leonys Martin, or even Andrew McCutchen as a short-term gap filler. Pick your own poison if you like! :D

When I was working on the next to last portion of the Primer, last year, on lineup optimization I happened to pull up and filter a list of players, on a per PA basis, who have gotten the most total bases, walks, and hit by pitches, and Brantley's name was near the top of that list (so was Yunel Escobar by the way). That is the only reason I've advocated him more than others to date but he is not my perfect solution (none of them are really but there are some interesting names there).

I think trading for one of your names is definitely a good possibility, and likely the route I would pursue if I was Eppler. Lorenzo Cain and JD Martinez are really the only major FA OFs out there and I think they're just going to cost too much. Of the cheaper 1-yr options, I do like Melky Cabrera and possibly Granderson, depending on how the other positions/needs are filled. Maybin's demands may be low enough that a return would be in the cards, as would Revere.

And as good as the AAA depth should be next year, 2019 may be ridiculous.

Hermosillo, Fletcher, Lund, Sanger, Houchins, Ward, Thaiss, Long, Barria, Hofacket, Castillo, Jewell, Gatto, Jones, Canning, Smith, Zimmerman all should/could be in the AAA mix by that point. 

42 minutes ago, John Smith said:

CF Jordon Adell assigned to Orem Owlz from AZL Angels.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_trn&lid=128&sid=t519

I noticed a little further down that 20 year old Cristopher Molina was also promoted. Had some wicked-high K/9 rates this year (improvement from previous seasons). Also some wicked high walk rates but he's a hot young arm too.

As I said, @totdprods, I agree with one-year stopgaps (or possibly two-year, if they are moveable) - especially if the Angels are of the mind that these players can and will lose their jobs if a more talented youngster is knocking at the door, although from past experience Scioscia is unfortunately hesitant to do that. But as I started with, I'm fine if they go risky and have an open audition in Spring Training with Puello, Herm, Lund, and Sanger. Maybe I'm jumping the gun on that, but I tend to be more excited about young prospects getting a chance than 30-something middling free agents.

But sure, sign a low-cost rental to start the year in LF - no real harm in that. Hermosillo clearly needs more seasoning in the minors but, I think, will be major league ready by about mid-season next year. Same with Lund and possibly Sanger. If that rental gets hurt or struggles, you've got a better-seasoned Herm or Lund to come up (or possibly Puello, if he's still around and/or not the 4th outfielder).

I suspect Eppler will continue to be frugal and go for stop-gaps in LF and either 2B or 3B, depending upon what they decide to do with Cowart and Valbuena. 1B is also a possibility, but I don't think they go after an over-priced free agent like Hosmer - who is exactly the type of player they should avoid, because he'll be paid more than he's worth due to general league-wide weakness at the position, and they've got a clone of him in AA already, less than a year away. I'd rather see the Angels go for another year of Cron/Valbuena, with the hopes that Thaiss can mature quickly. Of course it is something to think about long-term, as neither Cron nor probably Thaiss looks to be anything more than a decent regular first baseman.

So the Angels could start the year with Cron at 1B, Cowart at 3B, and Valbuena platooning between the two. That would leave 2B as an area to upgrade from outside. Cowart gives them a lot of flexibility because he can also start at 2B if they want to go after Moustakas. So it may be that Eppler is looking at 1B, 2B, 3B, and LF, but has enough flexibility at all four that he can go in different directions and really only needs to sign external players at maybe two of those positions.