• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

25 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

But isn't a LH power bat playing half his games at the Big A like the kiss of death? Number of Angels LH batters to ever hit 40+HR = 0. 30+ = ? (I think Edmonds did it once)

Garret Anderson hit 35 home runs back in 2000 and followed that with 28,29,29 before dropping off to under 20. 

What do folks think about the comp of Andrew McCutchen for Jahmai Jones? I can't compare them on the field, but there is some similarity in the statistical profile. Like Jones so far, McCutchen was both young for his level but also didn't dominate at any level in the minors (presumably because he was young), making it to the majors in 2009 as a 22-year old (which would be 2020 for Jones, who will likely make it to the majors by 2019, at age 21). Cutch spent a few years as a good player, but not a star, and didn't break out as a true star until 2012, at age 25.

But I see a lot of similarities in their numbers - Cutch didn't hit for much power in the minors, but it gradually developed and now he typically hits around 25 HR a year. He also has a well-rounded hitting profile, which Jones seems to also have: good to very good in average, power, plate discipline, and speed.

If we're looking for a best-case scenario for Jones, I think its McCutchen. Now one thing to keep an eye on is that McCutchen stalled out in AA for a year and a half. Like Jones, he had a late season call-up at age 19 and did quite well, but then merely held his own in a full season of AA ball at age 20. Presumably Jones will have a full season in AA, or close to a full season, next year. McCutchen then had a good but not great full season in AAA at age 21, and an improved third of a season there at age 22 before being called up. Jones could conceivably be a year ahead of Cutch, because of opportunity; in 2008, the Pirates didn't push him because their outfield was full. But in 2019 - when Jones will be 21 - unless Hermosillo does really well, there could be a spot for Jones.

I imagine Jones is back at IE for '18, but if he starts hot, we see him jump to AA, maybe even fairly quick, like Hermosillo did this year. 

I'd actually like to see Thaiss, Ward, Rojas, Montgomery, Lund, and Barria all start at AA again next year just to take things a little conservatively with them and not expose them to the wacky PCL too quick. They'll still be at an appropriate age and skill for AA, and it gives that wave a chance to play together and coalesce. If Jones can join them early in the season, all the better. It'd be nice to slot him in with those bats already having a lot of AA experience to help him feed off of.

@totdprods, in a way, AA is the last true or full developmental station in the minors. By the time you get to AAA, you have a mixture of major league depth, quad-A journeymen types, and prospects on the cusp. Couple that with the crazy hitting conditions of the PCL, and it is almost counter-productive to play top prospects there for an extended period of time, unless they're on the verge of the majors.

As for Jones, you're right - so his timeline is more like Cutch's. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they start him in AA, with the intention of giving him a full year there.

If I were to guess minor league Opening Day outfields next year, it would be something like this:

AAA: Hermosillo, Sanger, Allday/Flores

AA: Lund, Montgomery, Survance/Gibbons

A+: Jones, Todd, Sandoval

A: Adell, Marsh, Vega, Hunter/Pearson/Barnes/Sala

AZL/Orem: Deveaux, De La Cruz, other Cubans

As you can see, there's a bit of a log-jam in the very low minors. I could also see Jones in AA and Hunter in A+, if not to start the year then shortly after. I think we'll see some players promoted quickly - any of the AAA to the majors as a 4th outfielder, Lund to AAA, any of the A+ guys to AA, but probably Todd first, then Marsh and maybe Adell or Barnes to A+. But they've actually got too many good young outfielders. I'd hate to see them keep Adell from playing right away and sending him to Orem. Pearson is old enough that he should be playing full season next year, but he's been disapppointing so far.

@Angelsjunky

Maybe I have you mistaken for someone else -- if so, my apologies...   But didn't you start a thread earlier this season somewhat wistfully looking back at how you had lost some of your passion/love for baseball???   Isn't it funny how seeing signs of life and the possibility that the team is righting the ship can start to change all that?

I'm not writing this to poke fun at you or anything remotely close to that -- but seeing you so gung-ho about the guys in the minors and once again vested in the Halos is pretty awesome -- and IMO, a sign that this team is finally back on track..

It's so refreshing to wake up in the morning and regardless of whether the big league team won or lost still wanting to see how the guys on the farm did...  This is starting to feel like 2003 for me...   yeah the season's been meh... but, there is enough going in the minors that I'm really excited about where this team is going and out chances in the near future...

Hearing that half the roster is getting closer to getting off the DL is fun too.  Even if it's just a month, would be really neat to get a glimpse of what 2018 could look like.

Go Halos...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/preview?gameId=370804103

This is the game preview from tonights game at ESPN ...   The article itself was written by STATS LLC....  and the reason Im linking it here is because it essentially makes the case that people are starting to notice Eppler has an eye for talent and a methodology in place that is starting to reap benefits for the Angels..    The Angels portion of the article is a pretty good read IMO...

@Inside Pitch, truth be told, my overall interest is still much reduced from some years ago, but my interest has been sparked by the improving farm system. I have a someone idiosyncratic relationship to baseball in that i don't watch many games, don't follow it too closely (anymore), have never owned a jersey or engaged in more typical "fannish" behavior, but tend to particularly enjoy certain aspects that are a bit removed from the day to day game on the field - like the farm system, statistical analysis, and big picture team development and strategy.

Marsh had another 3 hits. I know he hasn't played very much but he's clearly not being challenged at Orem.

I don't see it happening, but I wonder if the org would consider having him skip Burlington altogether and have him in RF at IE in 2018. That would be a pretty sick OF. 

Also Adell is clearly ready for Burlington.

Edited by tdawg87

I'd be really surprised if Adell and Marsh don't receive promotions to Burlington soon. I mean, what would be the reasons they don't? I suppose I could see why Adell - who is a year and a half younger and hasn't been playing the field - would just finish the year in AZL, then start next year at A ball. But Marsh? I know his health has been a concern, but I'm not sure why he isn't in Burlington.

18 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Thanks Blarg.

So in 56 years we've had a LH bat hit over 30 homers twice? Just say no to Moose.

Anderson,  Edmonds,  Jackson  and  Mo Vaughn all hit 30+ home runs.  Vaughn did it twice hitting 39 in one season.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Hate to break it to all of you but Moose is coming here.  Whether that is good or bad or whether or not he will be too expensive, it is going to happen.  Cowart better continue to improve at 2nd base. 

I think Cowart has looked exceptionally good at 2B in the brief time that he's been there. 

Why are you so certain, Stradling? I'm OK with it, because the Angels have no one good in the minors to play 3B, unless Nonie "Longshot" Williams develops as hoped - but that would still be 4-5 years away. I can live with Moose for the next 4-5 years - as long as he isn't given 6+, which he probably will be.