• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Angels selling 'Stop Trout' T-shirts at spring training stadium

Did no one bother to look up the meaning behind the shirt? Everyone is hating because you do not understand the significance. Back in the day Bill Bowerman, Nike founder and head coach of Oregon track and field, made shoes using a waffle machine. His first sponsored athlete was Steve Prefontaine, who went on to become a distance running legend. In one race, everyone wore shirts that said "Stop Pre." After Pre won the race, he took one of the shirts and wore it himself. The shirt does not mean that we are trying to "Stop Trout," it is a call back to the invincibility of Pre. There's your history lesson for the day!

I am no runner, but I am a great admirer of Steve Prefontaine, who is as legendary for his colorful personality and pure determination as the many records he set in the sport of distance running during his short lifetime.  I know that many runners continue to wear "Stop Pre" t-shirts as a means of honoring the man.  I don't know how I feel about appropriating the slogan for Trout, no matter how great his talent, but among certain people it will certainly resonate.  It does make sense, but it makes me feel just a tad uneasy.

Edited by brianvargo

Stop Prefontaine ? -- --geez that's going back a ways.

Nike has missed their audience by 40 years LOL!!

I remember Prefontaine well as well as the unfortunate fatal accident he was in that cut his life way too short -- but I would not have made the Stop Pre connection to the Stop Trout shirt.

I would have preferred a "AIN'T NO STOPPING TROUT !" slogan but then we would have all the English teachers complaining......