• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Greinke admits money was top consideration

Wallerrrr

If someone was offering $200MM and someone else was offering $20MM only an idiot would take the $20MM.

Without reading below, I'm sure others have already argued this point:

I can think of a few situations where a player could chose the lower sum and be much happier. The chance to live and play in a city you love for a team you love near your family and still have a better chance to win? If the player is already rich for whatever reason (comes from money, previous contract, etc.), and $180MM won't make the man? I wouldn't call that man an idiot for choosing $20MM.

a. He is going to take the most money because he knows he's being overvalued and is pulling a Wellsy. He will never win a ring with the Dodgers but obviously doesn't care. That said, a guy motivated by victory, not cash, is my kind of player. I'm glad we didn't keep him. 

b. You could never pay me enough to play in the latrine that is Dodger Stadium. 

I'm surprised he talked at all. It's not like he gives interviews very often.  It will be interesting to see how he handles the media in the future since there are HUGE expectations for the Dodgers with all their investments and there will be a spotlight on him.  The downside to the big bucks is the scrutiny. Will he be able to handle that through any bad times?

a. He is going to take the most money because he knows he's being overvalued and is pulling a Wellsy. He will never win a ring with the Dodgers but obviously doesn't care. That said, a guy motivated by victory, not cash, is my kind of player. I'm glad we didn't keep him. 

b. You could never pay me enough to play in the latrine that is Dodger Stadium. 

Answer B is always why you are looking for the .99 cent value meal on every menu. 

He's living the American dream and getting the most he can, BUT he isn't doing any favors by stating this because if he flops in LA, he's gonna hear this repeated to him by the media and fans. If he does well and the Dodgers make mulitple runs in the playoffs, everyone will forget about this statement.

He's living the American dream and getting the most he can, BUT he isn't doing any favors by stating this because if he flops in LA, he's gonna hear this repeated to him by the media and fans. If he does well and the Dodgers make mulitple runs in the playoffs, everyone will forget about this statement.

History says any big dollar contract the Dodgers give to a pitcher will blow up in their face....would be a shame if it happens with Greinke

Pujols, Hamilton, and Wilson all left their old teams(really good teams, too) because of the money.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either approach, obviously Weaver taking less to stay here was neat, but I can also totally understand why a free agent would move on to the highest bidder and don't have a problem with a player doing that at all.

Well said. 

That is more often than not the case with every team who gives that kind of contract.

yeah, thats the point. The Dodgers seem like they keep offering bloated contracts to pitchers more so then other teams...and they havent worked out yet..

Brown

Dreifort

Schmidt

....just to name a few.

I question anyone who makes big decisions for solely financial reasons. If it was all about making money I would be selling cocaine right now instead of working as an engineer. I really hope Greinke is not saying that the only reason he's a Dodger is because they offered him the most money. I would not want to hear that if I was the GM of the Dodgers.

I'd want to hear something like: "The Dodgers are committed to building a winner and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It feels good to be back in the NL. I am happy to stay here in LA and win some games."

10m v 200m is a dum statement, of course anyone would take the higher. But, I've never played a game of baseball in my life and wont earn a million during it either - but if in a parallel universe someone offered me 150m to play for a winning team or 170m to play for a poor team, I'd take the winner no doubt.

what the heck can a guy do with 170m that he cant do with 150m!!

If he's a California resident, then after taxes he might be able to treat his family to a night out at McDonalds.

They should consider Athletes take home pay after taxes is when setting the luxury tax thresholds. CA teams have to overbid ~10% more than teams based in TX to match what the player will actually get.

Edited by AZMike