• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Greinke admits money was top consideration

Wallerrrr

Greinke admits he signed with the team that offered the most money.

"It's obviously the #1 thing", Greinke said. "I could play for the worst team if the paid me the most"

"If the last place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I'm going to go for the $200-million no matter what team it
was.'' Greinke could have tried being a bit less honest because the last two teams in the bidding – the Dodgers and Rangers – made final offers that were said by two different people in the know to have been either “similar'' or “very close.'' (That was one topic Greinke wouldn't touch, presumably out of fairness to the losing final bidder, saying only of his final call that “it was a tough decision.''.)

“It's boring watching American League games to me,'' Greinke said. “With the Angels we had (Mike) Trout, (Albert) Pujols, (Mark) Trumbo, (Kendrys) Morales and (Torii) Hunter, but it wasn't as much fun as watching Milwaukee's team. There's much more strategy. I don't know anyone who likes the American League games better. Maybe some fans do. But if you're not an
actual DH, you probably prefer the National League.''

read more... http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/21767425/honest-greinke-who-admits-was-top-consideration-made-texas-offer-before-la-deal

at least he's honest lol

“It's boring watching American League games to me,'' Greinke said. “With the Angels we had (Mike) Trout, (Albert) Pujols, (Mark) Trumbo, (Kendrys) Morales and (Torii) Hunter, but it wasn't as much fun as watching Milwaukee's team. There's much more strategy. I don't know anyone who likes the American League games better. Maybe some fans do. But if you're not an

actual DH, you probably prefer the National League.''

Is he mentally retarded?

Unless you actually cared about winning.  There actually is something to it.... something more than money. 

You must think Weaver is an idiot, huh?

Obviously, if it's close, I'd want to be on a winner. If it's $200 million vs $10 million, I'd want the $200 mil. If it's a choice between $150M & $200M, I would probably lean toward the winner. If it's $180M vs $200M, there's no question.

I don't have a problem with what he said.

I can't stand NL baseball.  I get the strategy part but at the same time it annoys the hell out of me to take the bat out of someones hand because you have someone slightly better than Jeff Mathis hitting 9th.

he's a self proclaimed baseball geek. i read an article earlier that stated he actually went out scouting players with Brewers personnel

Yep.

Even though he's a Dodger, I still like Greinke(and did before he was pitching here), he seems like a really intelligent guy, even if he is a bit off, and he's a good pitcher to boot.

And the nonsense column filler quotes from FAs just signed get old, so I dig that he's being honest

I can't say I agree with him about the NL being more exciting though.

While I understand his reasoning and that is fine, you can do whatever you want.  But as a fan, I'd kind of question who dedication to winning if he is willing to just go to any team because of money.  Not saying he doesn't try, but it just doesn't sound like he has that burning desire to want to win or be part of a winning situation.

I have no problem with what he said.  He said nothing bad about the Angels.  Just his preference of wanting to be paid the max amount.  Also, did not know about his opt out clause.  Similar to CC, so tells me he really wanted to go the midwest/east more.    

Also, nothing wrong saying he liked the strategy of the NL more than the AL.  Many people will say the same thing.  Sounds to me like he is already thinking of life after his playing days.  

While I understand his reasoning and that is fine, you can do whatever you want.  But as a fan, I'd kind of question who dedication to winning if he is willing to just go to any team because of money.  Not saying he doesn't try, but it just doesn't sound like he has that burning desire to want to win or be part of a winning situation.

Yes.  But in all reality, the money we are talking, only teams that have a commitment to winning will offer the amount to an outside free agent.  Really, we are talking the Dodger, Angels, Yanks, Red Sox, and Tigers lately.  And I say outside, because teams like the Reds, Twins, Rockies, heck even the Mariners have given their homegrown players huge contracts, but not really so much players in free agency.  

There is nothing wrong with what Grienke said. If the guy wants the most money he's earned the right to do that. That being said I don't think players who choose teams based on other factors are idiots. There's only so much money a man needs in a lifetime and can even really spend in a lifetime. Anything more than that is just gravy. If a guy wants to be on a contending team I don't have a problem with him signing for less or if he wants to be close to home, play for his favorite team growing up or a manager he likes. I personally I don't see much difference between 50 million and 200 million, it's not changing my lifestyle or my kids' lifestyles or their kids' lifestyles for that matter.

Yes.  But in all reality, the money we are talking, only teams that have a commitment to winning will offer the amount to an outside free agent.  Really, we are talking the Dodger, Angels, Yanks, Red Sox, and Tigers lately.  And I say outside, because teams like the Reds, Twins, Rockies, heck even the Mariners have given their homegrown players huge contracts, but not really so much players in free agency.  

iirc , Seattle offered Hamilton 4/$100M