• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can this trend be reversed? SJWs

Adam

5 hours ago, fishbulb said:

Man, the actions of a private company that owns intellectual property and is making market and culture based decisions sure seems to be ruffling a lot of feathers.

i miss the days when we could laugh at almost anything.

TCM host Ben Mankiewicz explains why network is examining controversial films like ‘Gone with the Wind'

Ben Mankiewicz, now is the right time to revisit Hollywood’s most controversial classics.

On March 3, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) announced they were launching a new series titled "Reframed Classics," which promises wide-ranging discussions about 18 culturally significant films from the 1920s through the 1960s that also have problematic aspects. 

Some of the films expected to be explored include 1961’s "Breakfast at Tiffany’s," which includes Mickey Rooney’s performance as Mr. Yunioshi, as well as 1936’s "Swing Time" where Fred Astaire can be seen doing a dance routine in blackface.

"We’re doing this series because we’re in the middle of a nation-wide conversation about race, sexism, sexual orientation and gender," Mankiewicz told Fox News.

"For more than a hundred years, movies have played a critical role in shaping how we see each other," he shared. "Mostly, the movies have enhanced our understanding of the human condition, but in other cases, they’ve reinforced deeply negative stereotypes that have contributed to an uneven playing field."

The series kicked off with 1939’s "Gone with the Wind." In June 2020, HBO Max temporarily removed the film from its streaming library in order to add historical context. The epic drama has been long criticized for romanticizing slavery, as well as the Civil War-era South.

At the time of HBO Max’s decision, protests in the wake of George Floyd’s death prompted entertainment companies to reevaluate the appropriateness of both current and past productions.

Filmmaker John Ridley urged WarnerMedia to take down "Gone with the Wind," arguing that it "romanticizes the Confederacy in a way that continues to give legitimacy to the notion that the secessionist movement was something more, or better, or more noble than what it was — a bloody insurrection to maintain the ‘right’ to own, sell and buy human beings."

In response, WarnerMedia, which owns HBO Max, called "Gone with the Wind" "a product of its time" that depicts racial prejudices.

"These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible," said an HBO Max spokesman in a statement.

TCM, which celebrates classic films of various eras, has been faced with the complicated reality that many of Hollywood’s most celebrated movies are also plagued with stereotypes. Amid last year’s Black Lives Matter protests, the channel’s programmers and hosts were eager to do something about it.

"For 27 years, TCM has been bringing classic movies to modern audiences, putting the films in their proper cultural and historical context," said Mankiewicz. "As the guardians of these movies, we think it’s critical that they are part of this national conversation because as we move forward, they can play a vital role in helping us grow together."

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/tcm-host-ben-mankiewicz-explains-reframed-classics-gone-with-the-wind

For chrissakes, it never helps to bury things. Maybe just recognize that films are always a product of their time and thus accurately depict contemporary views, prejudicial or not.

Taking them off air doesn't heal racism and prevents potentially meaningful conversations from occurring. "Hey kids, this is how people during your grandad's day (and maybe your grandad) saw things. Thankfully we've moved on."

I mean, at most, put a disclaimer on the film before showing it. "We at TCM are good liberals and don't believe this, even though we think Sixteen Candles is still funny."

28 minutes ago, cals said:

Yes, perhaps, but you two shouldn’t get your panties in a twist because someone gave a ridiculously progressive crease a little decision making power.  And, by the way, we can now refer back to my position that women should not be allowed to vote.

I can get on board with banning women voters. Most of the world's problems are a direct result of men neglecting or delegating their God given authority to rule the house. 

2 hours ago, Tank said:

Mom is the abusive one by letting her kid do this and dad gets punished? I’m sorry but messing with a developing child’s hormones like this is abuse and just wrong. If a fully developed adult man wants to chop of his wiener and get a boob job then more power to them. 

SF plans to pay certain residents $1,000 per month

San Francisco plans to start paying 130 local artists $1,000 a month starting in May through the fall in a pilot program announced on Thursday. 

It follows other so-called "universal basic income" efforts being launched in California amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"From the first day the pandemic arrived in San Francisco, we knew that this health crisis would impact artists, and artists of color in particular," Mayor London Breed said Thursday while announcing the program, FOX 2 of the Bay Area reported.

Breed said the city’s artists "make San Francisco special, and bring so much life and energy to our city. The arts are critical to our local economy and are an essential part of our long-term recovery. If we help the arts recover, the arts will help San Francisco recover."

Other critics suggested the program was why the City by the Bay was "broke AF" and said they at first thought the announcement posted to Twitter was from a parody account. 

"Gee, what could possibly go wrong. How many budding 'artists' are magically going to spring into being?" another wrote.

1 minute ago, cals said:

https://abc7.com/palmdale-racist-rant-teacher-zoom/10451148/

So apparently the kid is a piece of shit and his mother was pulling the “my Dontrelle is perfect” nonsense.  Class ends and she doesn’t log off Zoom properly.

So she says what we all think: “I mean these parents, that's what kind of pieces of shit they are. Black. He's Black. They're a Black family, your son has learned to lie to everybody and make excuses. Cause you taught him to make excuses that nothing is his fault. This is what Black people do. This is what Black people do."

So now she’s fired and the school district is getting sued.  Thoughts?

She was probably correct the whole time until she said “this is what black people do”. That’s when it became racist. No reason to bring up the kids race in this 

14 minutes ago, cals said:

So apparently the kid is a piece of shit and his mother was pulling the “my Dontrelle is perfect” nonsense.  Class ends and she doesn’t log off Zoom properly.

So she says what we all think: “I mean these parents, that's what kind of pieces of shit they are. Black. He's Black. They're a Black family, your son has learned to lie to everybody and make excuses. Cause you taught him to make excuses that nothing is his fault. This is what Black people do. This is what Black people do."

If you’re too stupid to work your Zoom then you deserve to be fired

I think she could have said the same thing about a certain % of kids in general regardless of race because some parents swear their kids can do no wrong, that they're not a distraction (despite being told this by numerous teachers) and that they're angels.  That said I agree with arch - if you can't completely close the zoom app or hang up then you're probably on borrowed time. 

41 minutes ago, cals said:

Good.