• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

[hey mtangelsfan] How Bernie pays for his proposals

That's impressively pessimistic.

Pessimism has nothing to do with it.

You realize that a degree from a university outside of the top 100 is largely worthless right?  It is one thing to have a degree from UCLA, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Cal, etc.  If your degree is from Middle Tennessee State, that is not going to sway an employer over a more experienced person.  Never.

Your proposal adds thousands of Middle Tennessee States at the cost of hundreds of millions of dollars, for no return.

Again you are also delaying the entry into the workforce for jobs that do not require a college education by four years.  Do you understand the economic impact of that?

Pessimism has nothing to do with it.

You realize that a degree from a university outside of the top 100 is largely worthless right?  It is one thing to have a degree from UCLA, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, Cal, etc.  If your degree is from Middle Tennessee State, that is not going to sway an employer over a more experienced person.  Never.

Your proposal adds thousands of Middle Tennessee States at the cost of hundreds of millions of dollars, for no return.

Again you are also delaying the entry into the workforce for jobs that do not require a college education by four years.  Do you understand the economic impact of that?

You are saying all of this as if it's fact and it's already proven. It's not.

Those schools are looked at favorably because they're name brand and they cost a lot.

I guarantee you not every person would be going to college, hell a lot of people already barely finish high school. There will be no shortage of baristas.

There are a lot of people deserving of a college education that would excel, but don't have the opportunity to.

My boss is a 1%er. 

He worked 16 hours a day/6 days a week for 12 years. 

If you want to be a 40-50 hour a week guy, you're probably not going to get rich. 

I work 40-45 hours per week. I make a good living but I'm leaving a lot of money on the table. I could easily make another $40K-$60K per year if I really wanted to. I happen to value time over money and I'm pretty much a minimalist. I don't care for "stuff"

My boss is a 1%er. 

If you want to be a 40-50 hour a week guy, you're probably not going to get rich. 

I work 40-45 hours per week. I make a good living but I'm leaving a lot of money on the table. I could easily make another $40K-$60K per year if I really wanted to. I happen to value time over money and I'm pretty much a minimalist. I don't care for "stuff"

Bingo

My boss is a 1%er.

I will say this. In my current job it would be tough but not impossible to earn $2k more a month. My bonus is paid on the performance of the 500 people working for me, specially the 40 managers. My salary is set but the bonus part would be a stretch. Now could I work differently and work towards another promotion which would pay me a lot more sure.

You are saying all of this as if it's fact and it's already proven. It's not.

Those schools are looked at favorably because they're name brand and they cost a lot.

I guarantee you not every person would be going to college, hell a lot of people already barely finish high school. There will be no shortage of baristas.

There are a lot of people deserving of a college education that would excel, but don't have the opportunity to.

Lol...

A UCLA education is looked at favorably because they have Nobel laureates, fields medal winners, and the leaders in the topics they teach.  It has nothing to do with brand name.

Do you really think the quality of education at Middle Tennessee State is as good as at Stanford?

You clearly have no clue.  There have been so many articles given on this topic, any research by you would point it out.  I have hired at least 75 people in the last five years.  I know other people that have hired many more.  None of them care about a degree from a middling university.

I will say this. In my current job it would be tough but not impossible to earn $2k more a month. My bonus is paid on the performance of the 500 people working for me, specially the 40 managers. My salary is set but the bonus part would be a stretch. Now could I work differently and work towards another promotion which would pay me a lot more sure.

For sure.

There are plenty of other opportunities separate from your job to make additional income. You're smart. You work hard. You could figure out how to make more money. 

For sure.

There are plenty of other opportunities separate from your job to make additional income. You're smart. You work hard. You could figure out how to make more money.

Yep, no doubt. One of these days Adam I'll tell you what I'm currently working on. It's a huge step that I (my wife) can do while still continue my current career.

Exactly!

Those thieves! How shitty do you think this country would look if there was no free public education, and it was all private? Very few families can afford to send their children to private school.

Property tax is a fair deal.  I don't have to own property.  I do have to make income.

For sure.

For sure, I could earn more money with an extra job or if I was willing to put in the extra time I might earn a promotion.  But I moved to Montana so I could just work the 40-45 hours and be around my family more.

Again, who gives a ****?

If you want to make money you have to work for it.  If you don't want to work for it then you don't deserve it.

Instead you are telling other people to work hard for it so others don't have to.

Again, this is a terribly simplistic perspective. First of all, plenty of people work hard and don't make a lot of money. In fact, while there might be some correlation between "working hard" and "making a ton of money" it isn't a directly causal relationship. Why? Because some industries pay more than others, because there is luck involved, and probably for many other reasons.

In my view, there's something wrong when young people are choosing careers based upon income earning potential rather than interest and passion.

AFL you still haven't explained why high income earners should pay more more to me. Let's say I make $200k and you make $100k, I'm already paying twice as much as you. Why should I have to pay twice plus you plus a bonus 3-5% just because others aren't successful. Explain to me how that makes sense. I'm already paying for the roads and the schools, probably more for the schools sense I'm probably in a more expensive house that has higher property taxes.

Here's a reason to consider. You might not like or agree with it, but it is a reason. Because those that make $200k benefit more from the system we live in than those making $100k or $50k - and they aren't necessarily doing more work, harder work, or work that helps society more, or is more meaningful. But they are doing work that either makes more money off of people and/or makes more money for people.

I mean, I get what you are saying - the logic is sound. It is a common view, especially among the fiscally conservative and libertarians. I don't think it is bad logic or wrong, just that it is a limited perspective and one based upon assuming that the way things are is how they should be or have to be.

I've seen many people here bag on liberal arts students and people who, in general, go to college to follow a path that they're interested in but doesn't have a clear financial payoff. Even Obama bagged on art history majors, if I remember correctly. Clearly a large number of art history majors and creative writing students, etc, end up as baristas. But in my mind, we should be working towards a society in which young people follow career paths based upon interest rather than income.

Now not everyone wants to be an art history major, but it should be a valid career path - we should have options and living wages for intellectuals, artists, musicians, and those that aren't interested in a corporate career, or engineering, or buying and selling. But our society is so focused on economics, on money and materialism, that it is hard to make a decent living unless you are either making money off of people or making money for people. Its a matter of cultural values.

Some things are more valuable, monetarily speaking than others. 

People should absolutely pursue what they like/want to do. But it doesn't mean they should be entitled to anything, financially speaking. Every one of us ultimately decides what we value most. 

Do I become a teacher and make dick? Well, if I really want to teach, sure. Do I want to make as much money as I possibly can? Well then, I had better assess my talents, abilities and education and determine which line of work is going to give me the best chance at accomplishing my goals. 

Again, this is a terribly simplistic perspective. First of all, plenty of people work hard and don't make a lot of money. In fact, while there might be some correlation between "working hard" and "making a ton of money" it isn't a directly causal relationship. Why? Because some industries pay more than others, because there is luck involved, and probably for many other reasons.

In my view, there's something wrong when young people are choosing careers based upon income earning potential rather than interest and passion.

We are all driven by different things.  The job market pays based on a lot of things, skill, candidate pool, etc.

Trying to mitigate all of the factors that go into it like "luck" "fortune" etc is a never ending process that will never give the proper results and when you mitigate one, you cause another.

If you want to make a ton of money, you strive for a job that will get you that.  You work hard at your education, do everything you can to get that education, work your way up and get the job.  Will everyone get it?  Of course not.  I say 90% of the time they don't get it because they didn't put their full effort into it.

If you are ok making a comfortable wage and giving up on wants and luxuries then you become a teacher, or a mechanic, etc.

Again I have never met a rich person that gave excuses like it was too hard or they didn't want to do it.  If you want to get your self a top notch education, you can get it.  It might take a ton of hard work, but you can.

The problem with what you are doing is you are just making excuses for people to be less driven, to take shortcuts and still reap the benefits.

We are all driven by different things.  The job market pays based on a lot of things, skill, candidate pool, etc.

Trying to mitigate all of the factors that go into it like "luck" "fortune" etc is a never ending process that will never give the proper results and when you mitigate one, you cause another.

If you want to make a ton of money, you strive for a job that will get you that.  You work hard at your education, do everything you can to get that education, work your way up and get the job.  Will everyone get it?  Of course not.  I say 90% of the time they don't get it because they didn't put their full effort into it.

If you are ok making a comfortable wage and giving up on wants and luxuries then you become a teacher, or a mechanic, etc.

Again I have never met a rich person that gave excuses like it was too hard or they didn't want to do it.  If you want to get your self a top notch education, you can get it.  It might take a ton of hard work, but you can.

The problem with what you are doing is you are just making excuses for people to be less driven, to take shortcuts and still reap the benefits.

Some people just don't get it, dude.