• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

[hey mtangelsfan] How Bernie pays for his proposals

Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax....... what could go wrong?

You were wondering how Bernie plans on paying for free college education and other proposals. Here's a handy little web page:

https://berniesanders.com/issues/how-bernie-pays-for-his-proposals/

I know how he's coming up with the money.  I just think there should be more details than "Free college" or "Free healthcare".  If you are asking people to give their money up, at least let them know the plans.

Oh, by the way, even Krugman thinks the numbers don't add up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/19/opinion/varieties-of-voodoo.html?smid=fb-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&_r=1

I know how he's coming up with the money.  I just think there should be more details than "Free college" or "Free healthcare".  If you are asking people to give their money up, at least let them know the plans.

Oh, by the way, even Krugman thinks the numbers don't add up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/19/opinion/varieties-of-voodoo.html?smid=fb-nytopinion&smtyp=cur&_r=1

OK, fair enough. At this point in the game, I'm not sure fine details are necessary (or, to be honest, why you expect them from him). Plus he wants to stay general in the nomination process, which is largely about inspirational messaging. The details might also depend upon the situation in Congress, whether it will be a baby-steps plan, or whether he can go bold.

As for Krugman, there are smart people who think it won't work, and smart people who do. Take your pick - most people are prone to confirmation bias and will believe what supports what they already believe. Anyhow, it is no secret that most of the Democratic establishment is against Bernie, and we probably won't know whether or not the Bernie plan works until it is put into action. I'm sure there would be all kinds of unforeseen problems, or it could work amazingly well. There are no guarantees. Hillary is the best bet for more of the same.

" What happens now? In the past, the Sanders campaign has responded to critiques by impugning the motives of the critics. But the authors of the critical letter that came out on Wednesday aren’t just important economists, they’re important figures in the progressive movement"

which is exactly what you're doing, aj.

How so? I didn't impugn the critics of Bernie's plan, I just pointed out that the bulk of the Democratic base is against him, and that there are some who actually agree with him.

"most people are prone to confirmation bias and will believe what supports what they already believe. Anyhow, it is no secret that most of the Democratic establishment is against Bernie"

you never respond to the actual criticisms being made. You only comment on who it is saying it.

"most people are prone to confirmation bias and will believe what supports what they already believe. Anyhow, it is no secret that most of the Democratic establishment is against Bernie"

you never respond to the actual criticisms being made. You only comment on who it is saying it.

By "most people" I mean "most people" - including myself. And yes, most of the Democratic establishment is against Bernie. Do you disagree?

As for the second, if you can't see the hypocrisy and irony of that statement, I don't know what to say.

Or, we could lessen (end) our subsidies of oil companies and start paying off the debt.  Just a thought.

You want to give people free college?  Cool.  What do we get in return?  Making something free largely removes it's value.  People value things they have to work for.  So what do we, as a society, get for doling out free college?   Might I suggest ...

* 2-4 years working in our over funded, but under staffed, school system

* 2-4 years working in a boy and girls club type organization 

Something like that.  Hell, join the military and you can get a free education now. 

Edited by Geoff

College through the military isn't totally free and increasing the size of the military with a lot of people who join just to go to school becomes a dangerous situation.

All things equal, I'd prefer to just make the money available to those who really want to go through loans, grants, scholarships, etc and find a way to reign in the tuition a bit. They could start by accrediting more degree programs that are short-term and job market focused or even create a new level of degree. It makes more sense to get people qualified to enter the work force and then decide if they want to pursue a bachelor or post-grad degree. This way you can start repaying a smaller debt before deciding whether to take on more loan debt or possibly get tuition assistance from your employer.

Just thinking out loud here. So if college is free how many years do they get to complete college? As it is the number one complaint in college seems to be it takes longer than four years to get a degree because classes are full. I'm assuming more people going to college means more full classes which means longer for everyone to get a degree, even the ones that earned college in the first place.

Except some people don't want to kill brown people. Especially liberal arts majors.

Again, who gives a ****?

If you want to make money you have to work for it.  If you don't want to work for it then you don't deserve it.

Instead you are telling other people to work hard for it so others don't have to.

Edited by nate

College through the military isn't totally free and increasing the size of the military with a lot of people who join just to go to school becomes a dangerous situation.

1) Then make it totally free.  I have no issue with giving someone free college tuition if they serve. 

2)  Why does more people serving in our military become a dangerous situation? 

1) Then make it totally free.  I have no issue with giving someone free college tuition if they serve. 

2)  Why does more people serving in our military become a dangerous situation? 

Because you have a lot of people there who aren't there for the right reasons. They prioritize a self-serving interest of taking classes over mission accomplishment. Not to mention that it gives our fearless leaders a bigger stick to throw around in places we have no business. For example, 9/11 happens and thousands line up to go fight al Qaeda. We'll get right on that, fellas, after a quick 5 year pit stop in Iraq.

I like how a bunch of people who have never been in the military are advocating totally ****ing it up with an influx of people it isn't prepared for and doesn't need. Added to the fact that most of those people wouldn't want to be there and would create more problems than they solve.

Great ****ing idea, gents.

I like how a bunch of people who have never been in the military are advocating totally ****ing it up with an influx of people it isn't prepared for and doesn't need. Added to the fact that most of those people wouldn't want to be there and would create more problems than they solve.

Great ****ing idea, gents.

Thanks!  I liked the idea too!

I think you're right about most people not wanting to be there.  For that reason alone, I bet they wouldn't join in the first place.  When you couple that with the fact that they'd actually after to earn something (that's right, college wouldn't actually be "free"), I think our military will be just fine.