• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Las Vegas Raiders?

Vegas Halo Fan

The poker game continues.

“I talk to the Raiders, daily, and they are still intending to come here (Las Vegas) and they’ve got potential, alternate financing sources lined up.” 

However, sources indicated that Davis was in San Diego on Wednesday meeting with city officials with reports on playing in that market.  And if Davis does have other investors lined up, who are they and how will they be vetted towards the NFL owners meetings in March? 

http://www.lvsportsnetwork.com/2017/02/01/sisolak-raiders-have-potential-alternate-financing-sources-lined-up/

4 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

The talk is about replacing Sam Boyd Stadium, not renovating or expanding it. Part of the reason that the football program isn't doing better is the distance between campus and the stadium. UNLV doesn't have anything resembling game day atmosphere on campus, because the stadium is seven miles away and it isn't on a direct bus route. Students without cars are left to their own designs as far as getting to the game. Forget walking to the stadium from the dorms, like happens on many other campuses.

The original plan was to build a new stadium roughly in the area of the Thomas & Mack Center. The main issue is height restrictions, because this location is directly off the end of one of the main runways at McCarran Airport.

This is roughly what was proposed.

stadium_unlv_rendering01_t653.jpg?itok=p

UNLV_02.jpg

unlvblimpview.png

UCLA doesn't have a problem with distance between campus and stadium. 

Also, the Rams are building directly in a flight path also.  They are getting around it by digging down. 

UCLA has an enrollment of about 45,000, tons of alumni used to attending football games, plus they already have a well established football program. UNLV has no real tradition football-wise, and the university has only existed since the late 1950s.

Not sure why it hasn't been proposed to build part of the UNLV stadium underground. That was my first thought when the height restriction came up.

13 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

UCLA has an enrollment of about 45,000, tons of alumni used to attending football games, plus they already have a well established football program. UNLV has no real tradition football-wise, and the university has only existed since the late 1950s.

Not sure why it hasn't been proposed to build part of the UNLV stadium underground. That was my first thought when the height restriction came up.

Makes perfect sense, being 2000 feet above sea level.    Looks like the proposed stadium would have had a retractable roof?   Not a bad idea if so, given the intense September heat

College basketball arenas like those at Iowa and Mich St. are partly underground.   It would create a nice home field advantage with the loudness. 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Makes perfect sense, being 2000 feet above sea level.    Looks like the proposed stadium would have had a retractable roof?   Not a bad idea if so, given the intense September heat

The plan includes a retractable roof, as I understand it. As it stands now, all of the games have to be played at night except for a few in November.

davis just doesn't have the business savy/chops to do this. 

the fact that the chargers got first shot to LA after the rams is all you need to know. raiders should have been able to get that option.

davis is a tool. like i said, most people around here said it would never happen. it was all just pandering and bluff to get a better deal up here, and eventually they'll end up with the niners.

seems to be exactly what's happening.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

That wasn't one of his better ideas either. Part of the reason that the stadium was a fairly easy sell at the state level is that it would have provided a home for the Raiders, plus solved the UNLV stadium situation in one project.

And maybe for the first time since the Randall Cunningham/Kirk Jones days, make UNLV into a league power in football?

I'm sure that the eventual hope is to enter a power conference. The basketball program could get to that level much more easily than the football program, as things currently stand.

Going back to the Raiders situation, there are people within the league who say that the move to Las Vegas is still very much alive - and these are people connected with other teams. I don't know what to believe at this point.

The latest thing that appeared in the local media:

NFL reporter: San Diego a player for Raiders; Las Vegas still alive

For the people of San Diego, the ultimate insult would be for them to lose their own team, and have a rival team move in. I liken it to when Bud Selig was talking about contraction in MLB. One of the proposals was to contract the Angels and move the Athletics to Anaheim.

6 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

For the people of San Diego, the ultimate insult would be for them to lose their own team, and have a rival team move in. I liken it to when Bud Selig was talking about contraction in MLB. One of the proposals was to contract the Angels and move the Athletics to Anaheim.

That would be the ultimate insult to SD.  Hell if I was a voter in SD, I'd be looking to roll some heads.

15 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

The Raiders would move to San Diego the same way I want to own a Ferrari. I'd love to drive one I just need someone to pay for it for me. 

Let the crawfishing begin. Raiders ownership apparently realizes that they stepped in it big time, and that they are about to be stuck in Oakland in that pit of a stadium if they don't patch things up here, and fast. The latest is an apology to UNLV over reported restrictions in the lease regarding the use of the stadium by the UNLV football program.

Proposed lease restrictions for UNLV get apology from Oakland Raiders president

The draft lease, submitted Jan. 26, required the Raiders’ approval of the Rebels’ football schedule and could have prevented UNLV from having its own home field markings. “Under no circumstances shall field markings for the [Raiders’] games be diminished or compromised in any way by the presence of collegiate football games of any kind. … The team shall have no obligation to compromise its field markings or field conditions for collegiate games at any time,” the lease said.

UNLV President Len Jessup attended Thursday’s stadium authority meeting with Badain and said he’s not concerned about the language in the draft lease.

Dear dumbshit UNLV president. 

Give an inch to the Raiders, they will take a foot.  Never ever assume in a contract.  It'll definitely make an ass out of u, while all of us laugh our asses off.  This is the Raiders we are talking about.  Probably the team that has sued the NFL and their cities more than all other teams combined. 

They must know something that I don't.

Why Raiders are so confident about L.V. stadium financing

Raiders President Marc Badain told board members that “financing will not be an issue” following Adelson’s decision to abandon the project. Once thought to be a backup option, Goldman Sachs indicated through representatives that its interest was contingent upon Adelson’s involvement.

“We’re in an industry where we’re used to plugging along, and we’re used to having starts and stops,” Badain said. “(Raiders owner) Mark Davis made a commitment to Gov. (Brian) Sandoval, and we intend to see that through.”

Badain said “multiple financial institutions” have called to express interest in joining the stadium project, which includes a $750 million public financing component generated by room tax revenue and a $500 million commitment from the Raiders. 

• 2 weeks later...