• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Las Vegas Raiders?

Vegas Halo Fan

The Goodmans have been Chargers season ticket holders for a long time, and I'm sure that they would love it. However, ESPN mentioned that the Chargers still have until January to decide whether they want in as a joint tenant in the Rams' new facility, and talks are still open in San Diego as GB said.

The Raiders are apparently deciding between Las Vegas, where they would get a new stadium, and San Antonio, where they built a stadium years ago assuming that the NFL would come and they didn't.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

On 5/18/2016 at 3:26 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

The Goodmans have been Chargers season ticket holders for a long time, and I'm sure that they would love it. However, ESPN mentioned that the Chargers still have until January to decide whether they want in as a joint tenant in the Rams' new facility, and talks are still open in San Diego as GB said.

The Raiders are apparently deciding between Las Vegas, where they would get a new stadium, and San Antonio, where they built a stadium years ago assuming that the NFL would come and they didn't.

I hope they go to Vegas or come to LA. I would still support them in San Antonio, but it would be hard because I hate Texas, Texans, and every sports franchise that is from there.

Like him or not, Jerry Jones is very powerful and influential in the NFL.  He's the reason the Rams are even in LA.  The Raiders are one of the poorest teams in the NFL and Mark Davis is probably the poorest owner.  It's probably in the best interest of the rest of the owners that he sells the team.

Yeah we all know how much the Davis family likes acting in the best interest of the other owners. As a longtime Broncos fan the Raiders are a natural enemy but we need to keep them around because beating them is the best part of AFC West fandom. And I hope a Davis stays in an ownership position in that franchise long after we're all gone. 

• 4 weeks later...

Raiders look ready to cash in on Las Vegas bet

Davis, who inherited the ownership role after his father passed in 2011, has flirted with other cities, most notably San Antonio. But with no viable plan to stay in cash-strapped Oakland, and a one-year lease at the Oakland Coliseum (with two one-year options), he needed the type of deal that historically catches the NFL’s eye – heavy public financing.The 54% public share proposed in the Vegas project would be the highest slice for an NFL stadium since Indianapolis built Lucas Oil Stadium with public dollars accounting for 88%. That wouldn’t work in all markets (see Oakland, Los Angeles, San Diego), but in tourism hotbed Las Vegas – which as it stands now, would be the NFL’s fifth-smallest market – it probably works, with the hotel tax essentially footed by guests.

• 4 weeks later...

The latest is that a commission is deciding between several potential stadium sites. The hope was to put a stadium on campus at UNLV, which would be a tremendous boost to the UNLV football program, and it would make it much easier for students to attend games. However, the campus' proximity to McCarran Airport and the fact that the takeoff/approach path of one runway passes right over the potential stadium site complicates the matter. The height of the stadium is the issue. One of the main selling points of the original proposal (before the Raiders came into the equation) was to help UNLV football by putting the stadium on campus.

Having the stadium on campus or five miles away makes little difference. 

I think the Chargers should seriously consider dual occupation of the new Rams stadium. There really is no point in building another NFL stadium that only is used 10 times a season (baring a playoff game) within a couple hours drive between them. 

On 7/17/2016 at 5:14 PM, Blarg said:

Having the stadium on campus or five miles away makes little difference. 

It does to students at UNLV - which is one of the main reasons that the people pitching the stadium were using for building it. One of the criticisms of Sam Boyd Stadium is that it is 7-8 miles from campus, so students can't just walk to games.

8 hours ago, Ray McKigney said:

I have a friend who lives just outside of Vegas and she is dreading any scenario where they build a stadium there. According to her, no matter where they put it, it's going to add too much congestion.

I have no doubt that it will be built. City leaders seem to fully realize what a rare opportunity it is to potentially land an NFL franchise. Location is going to be a big deal as far as traffic. We manage to accommodate over 150,000 fans for a NASCAR race, and I used to work about a mile and a half south of the track off I-15. If a Strip location is chosen, there are going to have to be major changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark Davis toured several sites in Reno scouting potential training camp sites if the team moves to Las Vegas.

Oakland Raiders officials tour Reno for training camp sites

In the meantime, a new possible site for a stadium has come into play, raising the total to nine or ten potential sites, depending upon which source you use.

Bali Hai site top contender for Las Vegas NFL stadium location

It looks like the chances of an on campus stadium at UNLV are on life support at best, due mainly to issues with the proximity to McCarran Airport and the fact that the new stadium would lie directly in the approach/takeoff path for Runways 19L and 19R.

• 2 weeks later...

They should build it either on that old Frontier property, or that other skeleton of a structure, blue something on the strip that's like half complete.  I think there is a huge empty shopping mall on Sahara I think that's probably big enough for a stadium and is really only surrounded by hookers and blow. 

Raiders apply for 'Las Vegas Raiders' trademark; stadium renderings

The old Frontier property (or part of it) is where Trump Tower sits. Putting anything directly on the Strip is asking for total gridlock on game days. It's close enough on weekends already. I rarely go to the Strip unless I have company in town who want to see it.

The structure on the Strip that is half complete is the Harmon Hotel. It was determined to be structurally unsound and will be torn down.

10 hours ago, mrwicked said:

football stadiums are the biggest waste of taxpayer money.

8 games a year, and you think that's a boon to the economy?

let the owners fund it.

Just to be fair.  In Vegas' case, they can probably make the stadium work with taxpayer or tourist money.  Hell, I'm going this weekend, and I guess today is the last day for some convention where there are 30,000 attendees.  And it's something I've never even heard of, some distribution company or something. 

If you have something in proximity to the convention center, it's a natural fit.  8 out of 52 weekends.  Throw in some of the big conventions, and that's probably another 10 weekends.  You could probably put the biggest Rodeo competition in there, since Rodeo seems pretty big in Vegas.  UNLV football.  And huge concerts.  Not to mention things like Wrestlemania, MMA and Boxing.  Boxing may be going downhill, but when there is a good fight, the city is packed. 

Heck, build the stadium where that concert thing went near circus circus I think.  That side of the strip needs a shot in the arm like no other.  Yeah I know VHF, but let's face it, even with traffic, to make it work, it has to be in proximity to the strip or convention center.

here are some numbers, because I'm Asian and like numbers.

http://www.lvcva.com/includes/content/images/media/docs/2015-Vegas-FAQs.pdf

• 149,213 hotel rooms in vegas
  • US national hotel room occupancy 65.6%
  • Vegas weekend hotel room occupancy 93.7%
  • Vegas weekday hotel room occupancy 85.2%
  • 365 days a year x 149,213 rooms x 65.6 % = 35,727,560 rooms a year
  • If you charge $1 in hotel tax, it would take 27.989 years straight line to pay off $1 billion
  • If you charge $5 in hotel tax, it would take 5.59 years straight line to pay off $1 billion

And that's going off the national hotel room occupancy #'s.  Going off the Vegas % probably more than makes up for any interest charges.

Also, just in comparison.  Anaheim has 20,431 hotel rooms at a 80.31% occupancy rate, and they already charge a 15% tax with an average room going for $180 a night.  Which comes to around $27 a night in resort tax. 

• 365 days a year x 20,431 rooms x 65.6% = 4,891,998 rooms a year
  • if you charge $1 in hotel tax, it would take 204.41 years straight line to pay off $1 billion
  • if you charge $5 in hotel tax, it would take 40.883 years straight line to pay off $1 billion

Used the same national hotel room occupancy #.  Since interest will probably be the rest.

http://visitanaheim.org/planner-tools/hotel-statistics-and-frequently-asked-questions

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Just to be fair.  In Vegas' case, they can probably make the stadium work with taxpayer or tourist money.  Hell, I'm going this weekend, and I guess today is the last day for some convention where there are 30,000 attendees.  And it's something I've never even heard of, some distribution company or something. 

If you have something in proximity to the convention center, it's a natural fit.  8 out of 52 weekends.  Throw in some of the big conventions, and that's probably another 10 weekends.  You could probably put the biggest Rodeo competition in there, since Rodeo seems pretty big in Vegas.  UNLV football.  And huge concerts.  Not to mention things like Wrestlemania, MMA and Boxing.  Boxing may be going downhill, but when there is a good fight, the city is packed. 

NASCAR weekends are huge here, too. Granted, not everyone who goes to the track stays overnight, but a significant number do. There are also lesser conventions here all the time. For instance, the National Convention on Correctional Health Care is held here pretty much annually. I have been twice, and it's back again this October. My sister's best friend was here for a two-day nursing convention at an off-Strip hotel a couple of weeks ago. This is one of a very few cities who could make the public contribution work without actually taxing the people who live here.

It is looking more and more like this is going to happen. The selection process is down to two sites (from nine or ten), and the specifics on the financials are being discussed.

As one of the local sports talk radio hosts put it, the interesting situation is going to be San Diego. He said "When the stadium vote fails, and it will, then all hell breaks loose."

3 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

As one of the local sports talk radio hosts put it, the interesting situation is going to be San Diego. He said "When the stadium vote fails, and it will, then all hell breaks loose."

Going back to the Balmer situation. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17156916/owner-steve-ballmer-exploring-sites-new-los-angeles-clippers-arena

Sources with knowledge of the Clippers' lease agreement said that, in many regards, the team operates as Staples Center's "third tenant," a condition that's becoming increasingly tiresome to the organization. The Clippers receives a smaller share of proceeds from suites and club seats than the Lakers and Kings, according to sources, and a lesser say in scheduling and the overall fan experience at the arena.

And what Sam Farmer said.

https://theringer.com/chargers-los-angeles-nfl-sam-farmer-podcast-1b2f5ad7745a?gi=a940fc12cebb#.y5jvpy6eq

• The Chargers Don’t Have Fans in L.A.

• They Already Do Fine in San Diego

• They’d Be Second Fiddle to the Rams

So was in Vegas this weekend.  You know, next to SLS, where the old Riviera was.  I know the Convention authority bought that land to build a parking structure.  But man, that area from Westgate/Convention Center to the strip.  It sure did look big enough to put a stadium on.  You would have some great +.  On the end of the strip that isn't a zoo.  Very close proximity to the Convention Center.  Would be right next to the monorail.  Convention Center people already own the land.