• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Las Vegas Raiders?

Vegas Halo Fan

I remember my one trek to Sam Boyd Stadium back in 1985 for a LB/UNLV game. It didn't have much of a tailgate like atmosphere back then.
Fortunately, since it was a late September game, it was at nighttime with temps only in the low/mid 80s.

It was sooo long ago, the stadium name was the Silver Bowl. 

But yeah, a retractable roof is a necessity for any new stadium in LV.

Edited by Angel Oracle

On most campuses, one thing that contributes to the game day atmosphere - and tailgating - is students being able to walk to the game, and alumni being able to wander the campus and relive old memories before and after kickoff. At UNLV that doesn't happen, because of the distance of the stadium from campus. IMO if they are to have any chance of making the football program relevant for an extended period of time, an on campus stadium is essential. Having the Raiders as a second tenant would just be icing on the cake.

• 1 month later...

The Raiders are a lot more serious about this than I imagined.

Raiders owner Mark Davis speaks at a press conference regarding the stadium proposal.

https://www.facebook.com/reviewjournal/videos/10154010093720552/

I really think Vegas has a good shot at this one.  Of any city, this is the one that can absorb public funds going into a stadium. 

$1.4 billion for the stadium.  $500 million from Raiders.  $xxx from UNLV.  $xxx from Convention Center authority.  Rest from public. 

But the public maybe in the form of the 171,000 hotel rooms in Vegas.  $1 tax 100 days is already $17 million.  $5 tax and that's $85 million. 

Guess that I am just used to all of those years living in Jacksonville, when NFL teams toyed with the idea of moving in, only to cut new stadium deals with their current cities. The city even threw a party for then-Baltimore Colts owner Robert Irsay, who later moved his team to Indianapolis. Supposedly, this was one reason that Jacksonville was given an expansion franchise in 1995 when it appeared that they had no shot.

When Mark Davis was asked about opposition to moving the Raiders to Vegas among NFL owners, he said "I haven't heard any." Even Commissioner Roger Goodell has softened his stance, which at one time was completely anti-Las Vegas.

It looks like this might happen. Maybe the Athletics will follow.

Vegas would be almost perfect for the Raiders.

Perfect would be a new stadium shaped like a pirate ship on a giant barge that picked up fans all along the California coast on Saturday and then sailed 12 miles offshore for the rest of the weekend.

NFL International presence accomplished

i don't think i've heard a word about the city of oakland trying to build a new stadium to keep the raiders.

but then it begs the question of who is really responsible for building a stadium, the city or the team? the team will use it a max of 12 times a year, plus maybe an occasional super bowl. the rest of the year? concerts, motocross shows and monster truck rallies, and what else?

i don't think i've heard a word about the city of oakland trying to build a new stadium to keep the raiders.

but then it begs the question of who is really responsible for building a stadium, the city or the team? the team will use it a max of 12 times a year, plus maybe an occasional super bowl. the rest of the year? concerts, motocross shows and monster truck rallies, and what else?

I think that's what is so intriguing about the Vegas bid.  Because they can use it for other things, especially if it's domed.  12 for NFL, 6 or whatever for UNLV, maybe for the Rodeo (although small venue might be more favorable for it, but they do get a shit ton of people in town when the rodeo comes to town), and huge concerts/trade shows for the big convention weeks like CES.  It would also be big enough to attract the bigger touring bands to add on their schedules.  And of course the biggest prize of all, chance to host Wrestlemania. 

On 5/2/2016 at 7:50 AM, gotbeer said:

I think that's what is so intriguing about the Vegas bid.  Because they can use it for other things, especially if it's domed.  12 for NFL, 6 or whatever for UNLV, maybe for the Rodeo (although small venue might be more favorable for it, but they do get a shit ton of people in town when the rodeo comes to town), and huge concerts/trade shows for the big convention weeks like CES.  It would also be big enough to attract the bigger touring bands to add on their schedules.  And of course the biggest prize of all, chance to host Wrestlemania. 

Because of factors like you are talking about, the same rules don't apply here that might apply in most other cities. The people behind the stadium proposal insist that it's a money maker with or without the Raiders, but with makes it an easier sell.

With every report, this seems to be closer to actually happening.

Las Vegas Raiders? Owner Mark Davis serious about move to Sin City

“We have made a commitment to Las Vegas at this point in time, and that’s where it stands,” Davis told a packed media conference at UNLV’s Stan Fulton Building. “If Las Vegas can come through with what we’ve been talking about, and we can come to do a deal here, then we’re going to be the Las Vegas Raiders.”

• 2 weeks later...

An NFL owner, speaking on condition of anonymity, put the odds of this move happening at "50 percent, perhaps as high as 75 percent."

Jerry Jones has gone on record as being in favor of the move. His support was critical in allowing the Rams to move back to Los Angeles. The caveat is that he wants Mark Davis to sell the team, because there is apparently a consensus among the owners that he isn't the guy to make the most of the franchise.

Maybe Sheldon Adelson can buy the team. Since he owns the local newspaper, they would never be criticized.

Mayor Carolyn Goodman has made statements about courting the Chargers if this move doesn't happen. That may be just window dressing.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan