• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Rams thread

Angel Oracle

Rams able to make this a 7 point game at Lambeau because LaFleur started chasing points early in the 3rd quarter after a missed XP.  

I still scratch my head when head coaches chase a missed XP outside the 4th quarter?  It almost always seems to be a bad decision.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

They were facing the top offensive team in the league. That shouldn’t be overlooked.

True

But they gave up almost 500 yards including nearly 200 rushing  yards and a ton of first downs, which prevented the Rams from any ball control themselves, with the top defense?

Edited by Angel Oracle

You are hung up on the Top Defense mantra but how is defense quantified and how long does a team hold that ranking playing lesser teams. Are they measuring sacks and quarterback hurries, zone defense, one on one match ups? Any one of those can be nullified with a top ranked team. Especially when when of your top defensive lineman can't push through the offensive line because of injury and his replacement is worse. 

Rodgers was only hurried a couple times. That's because Donald could not play at his level and draw two lineman to cover him, leaving weaker match ups for the other defensive lineman to attack breakdowns.

There is the difference between the top rated defense and a very good one. One guy that requires two players to keep him off the quarterback. The Packers didn't have to play essentially a man down every possession just to contain Donald. 

The time the offense was on the field was impacted by the loss of Kupp. There again is a guy that can draw two to defend or at the very least create an urgency to always know where he is allowing other receivers that one extra step or opening. 

Akers is good but he isn't a put it on his shoulders to win the game running back. He is best when the defense has to play against the passing game, dropping the linebackers back to zones instead of keeping close because Goff is playing in a diminished capacity. 

Lots to look at in this loss. If the Rams are at 100% the game is a more even match, even with Rodgers experience. But knock out your defensive MVP and one of the best tight ends in the game, break your quarterbacks thumb and that's too steep of a hill to climb. The Rams were not going to win last night baring a major upset. 

All good points Blarg, I guess I was more looking at how the defense dominated the Seahawks the week before, and how totally opposite yesterday was.

The Packers did whatever they wanted to.   

Kupp being out did hurt some, but Akers still ran well and Jefferson and Reynolds stepped up some.   Goff was efficient (no TOs), and the Rams yardage per play was decent.   The four sacks did hurt.

If the defense had been able to prevent the Packers from their own ball control, it could have been a down to the wire game.

The game did prove without a doubt who the best defensive player in the NFL is, by what happened without him being close to 100%.

One side note:   About 8000 fans were allowed into the game.   The Packers said it felt like a capacity crowd, to hear the fans cheers for the first time all season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Wow! Can't believe the Rams we able to get out from under the Goff contact. Getting Stafford will be huge for them.

Losing draft picks is going to force the Rams into an unsustainable free agent cycle. I suspect their success is going to diminish quickly without cheap college picks. 

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

Losing draft picks is going to force the Rams into an unsustainable free agent cycle. I suspect their success is going to diminish quickly without cheap college picks. 

I don't they are going to have a Patriots like run, but I don't think any team will unless they have the man at QB. This is definitely going to crash and burn at some point but I think that's preferable to being 10-6 in perpetuity and losing in the divisional round every year.

I think in the NFL you can win with a mediocre QB if he cheap. You can win with an expensive QB if he's great. I don't think you can win with a mediocre expensive QB. I think the Rams went from a mediocre expensive QB to a good medium priced QB.