• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why the Angels need Heyward more than any other team

jecho_21

who is writing this stuff?

this is bleacher report level of sh*tty writing:

"Regardless of whether Heyward or Calhoun would move to left field -- the guess is it would be Calhoun -- this is the opportunity to turn a huge negative into a tremendous positive. This is the opportunity to turn a huge negative into a tremendous positive."

just to be clear - is this the opportunity to turn a huge negative into a tremendous positive?

who is writing this stuff?

this is bleacher report level of sh*tty writing:

"Regardless of whether Heyward or Calhoun would move to left field -- the guess is it would be Calhoun -- this is the opportunity to turn a huge negative into a tremendous positive. This is the opportunity to turn a huge negative into a tremendous positive."

just to be clear - is this the opportunity to turn a huge negative into a tremendous positive?

No. It's the opportunity to turn a huge negative into a tremendous positive.

Ok we can't compare Trout to Heyward but Claude you are basically comparing Heyward and Albert or A-Rod, why? Just because of the ten year contract? They are years and years apart in age.

I know this sounds like I am being a dick but you have such an issue with the economics of the game I can't see how you get any enjoyment out of it.

• 5 years later...
On 12/8/2015 at 9:34 AM, Inside Pitch said:

For me it's less about the money being spent and more about the years.   He's like the perfect storm FA as far as the Angels are concerned -- he actually fills a massive need, is a plus defender and has youth on his side.  

At the same time....10 years is a long long time.  If they can work a deal that benefits Heyward -- allows him to bolt after 5 years and again after 7, etc etc... or pay a larger average salary for fewer years I wouldn't mind them doing that, but he's going to be overvalued.

Here ya go @Fourts

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Here ya go @Fourts

lol....ok, that's odd & weird (in a good way) finding something that far back.  Well done.  You likely were correct in that i was thinking of a different poster or maybe a different FA when referencing you with Heyward.  although, to be fair, it does sound like you are saying you would want Heyward at that time for a contract less than 10 years (5-7+) and even willing to pay extra per year for a shorter time.  

My main point was not meant to hit at you at all.  Your original response in that thread got me thinking about the annoyance of some who feel they are always right and using analytics to support it.  As if baseball can give you anything that's a probable outcome...let alone 75-100% of the time (some posters think they are right 100% of the time).  Baseball by it's nature is unknown and uncertain.  Whether that be the greatest hitters of all time (being out way more often than not) or the best GM.  That's what makes baseball so great.  Who'd have expected the 1988 LADs ragtags winning it all against a few of the best teams (even w/out Gibson).  So how can randoms on a fan board be so right all the time.  GMs get paid millions and they are wrong all the time.  Just admit you are wrong...it's ok (not YOU Inside pitch....i'm speaking in general).  Ironically, you are one of the few who i put value in from a player evaluation comment perspective.  I was just using your comment to bounce off of.  

12 minutes ago, Fourts said:

lol....ok, that's odd & weird (in a good way) finding something that far back.  Well done.  You likely were correct in that i was thinking of a different poster or maybe a different FA when referencing you with Heyward.  although, to be fair, it does sound like you are saying you would want Heyward at that time for a contract less than 10 years (5-7+) and even willing to pay extra per year for a shorter time.  

I would have been ok with it up to a certain point.  I think I was being flippant because I didn't believe the team was going to sign anyone.  That said I'm the biggest run prevention whore on AW.com..  Also...  Im surprised his speed has fallen off the way it has.  

Heyward will go down as a JD Drew, Darren Dreifort signing... Someone who ended up being over paid because people believed he would become better than he was at the time he signed.

Im just glad my policy of never taking an actual stand, always saying "it would be great, but it can also suck, so heres a movie quote" still keeps me safe in bumped threads to this day.

"Id be all for it, but I also think a different move would be better" is my take on everything we argue about here. (Aside from the recipes thread)

I thought for sure that Heyward would likely be a 4-5 win player in ages 26-32. More like a 2 win player. Not bad but not worth 21 million a year. 

And #4 on his similarity score list is none other than Dexter Fowler, which is a pretty apt comparison given their ability to reach base and combine speed and power earlier in their careers. 

On 4/12/2021 at 3:50 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im just glad my policy of never taking an actual stand, always saying "it would be great, but it can also suck, so heres a movie quote" still keeps me safe in bumped threads to this day.

"Id be all for it, but I also think a different move would be better" is my take on everything we argue about here. (Aside from the recipes thread)

That’s a great strategy, but it could also hurt you, so you could try something better.    “There is a pool and a pond.  The pond would be good for you.”