• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why the Angels need Heyward more than any other team

jecho_21

Literally the best comparison that has ever been made in the history of comparisons. 

it was more like a prediction that he would become a flop after getting 200 million.  that's where the comparison was, i dont know how you arrived to this conclusion but please never pursue a career in law because u suck at interpreting words.

it was more like a prediction that he would become a flop after getting 200 million.  that's where the comparison was, i dont know how you arrived to this conclusion but please never pursue a career in law because u suck at interpreting words.

I hadn't read about Heyward's drug abuse. Do you have a link?

it was more like a prediction that he would become a flop after getting 200 million. that's where the comparison was, i dont know how you arrived to this conclusion but please never pursue a career in law because u suck at interpreting words.

So you come up with possibly the worst comparison of all time and you talk shit about someone else's interpretation of anything. What a complete joke.

He isn't worth what he is going to get IMO. He isn't an impact bat (other than OBP) which is what the Angels are in dire need of.

This is the incorrect, short sighted narrative. Hayward will provide more offensive value throughout the next 5+ years than any other free agent currently available, most likely.

It's like the ridiculous comparison of Mike Trout to Mickey Mantle.

24 year old Mantle .353 / 52hrs / 130rbi's / 1.169ops

Can't wait until Trout turns 24 and starts smoking and drinking heavily just like the Mick.

Yes it's ridiculous to compare Mantles stats in his era to Trout's numbers in his era.

This is the incorrect, short sighted narrative. Hayward will provide more offensive value throughout the next 5+ years than any other free agent currently available, most likely.

And the one thing the Angels actually are in dire need of (they actually have plenty of power) is someone to get on base in front of Trout, Pujols, Cron, etc. Anything Heyward adds in the power department is a plus.

Edited by Mark68

And the one thing the Angels actually are in dire need of (they actually have plenty of power) is someone to get on base in front of Trout, Pujols, Cron, etc. Anything Heyward adds in the power department is a plus.

Heyward also brings a bit of speed and SB capability. 

Another reason to like Heyward, if the Angels have an outfield of Heyward/Trout/Calhoun, flyball pitchers will do well in Anaheim.

So long as Simmons is in the Angels infield, groundball pitchers will do well in Anaheim, especially if they bring in another defensive-oriented infielder.

Gives the team more flexibility in the types of pitchers they pursue and develop. 

With the money that is being talked about now. Which is 10/$300 million + .

NO.

I'd rather go with a shorter term player that is in the 5 year range, and save that money for someone that is worth it in 5 years and plays a certain position for us.

No way does Heyward command 10 yes for 300 million, are referencing the Si article?

No way does Heyward command 10 yes for 300 million, are referencing the Si article?

Not sure which of the articles it was.  But makes sense.  $30 million is the new norm for top players.  Look at what Price and Greinke are looking for.  Look at the tail ends of Trouts and Pujols contracts.  $30 is quickly becoming the new $20.  It's not that out of the realm.  Heck a qualifying offer is over $15 million right now.  

He'll get something around $180-$200 million and will likely have an opt out clause after 5-6 years. I hope the Angels sign him. Rare FA where they'll be getting his best seasons. If they do sign him, would love the lineup to look like this

Heyward

Trout

Pujols

Calhoun

6-9 don't really care though Simmons probably should hit 9th. Top half gives Sosh those lefty/righty matchups he loves and with Heyward's speed and OBP he's the perfect option to hit ahead of Trout

Edited by bloodbrother

seems too rich for an OF position to me........

Heywood batted .268 last year -- about 13 HRs , 70 RBI and 19 SBs -- stellar defense.

I know this may sound a bit like Buzzie Bavasi's never -lived down comment that he could get two 8-7 pitchers instead of re-signing a Halos pitcher named NOLAN RYAN back in the day -- however --

you can probably get a LF to hit .275, with 15 HR and 75 RBI, 15 SBs for about about $7 to $8 million for one year -- and if you had to spend $24 million for 3 years -- that's still a lot less than the numbers being tossed around above in these posts and other media.

if you factor it out you need to ask how much is maybe 10 points in the BA, 5 more HRs, maybe 10 more RBI's and 10 more SBs worth??

(and to be fair, also stellar D in LF).

Is slight possible increase in stats for the LF position worth $36 million per year minus $9 million = $27 million a year?

The Angels don't need a "power" bat. Calhoun - 26HR, Trout - 41HR, Pujols - 40HR, Cron - 16HR and Freese - 14HR (who will be resigned) provided plenty of power.

The Angels need to revisit acquiring a Ben Revere type of player to play LF and lead off. 

Aybar led the team in steals last year.  Simmons isn't going to replace that.  Trout's going south on SB's.

Don't need to clog up the roster with another $20+ player like Heyward, Cespedes or Upton. 

Team needs some wheels at the top of the order.

Heywood batted .268 last year -- about 13 HRs , 70 RBI and 19 SBs -- stellar defense.

I know this may sound a bit like Buzzie Bavasi's never -lived down comment that he could get two 8-7 pitchers instead of re-signing a Halos pitcher named NOLAN RYAN back in the day -- however --

you can probably get a LF to hit .275, with 15 HR and 75 RBI, 15 SBs for about about $7 to $8 million for one year -- and if you had to spend $24 million for 3 years -- that's still a lot less than the numbers being tossed around above in these posts and other media.

if you factor it out you need to ask how much is maybe 10 points in the BA, 5 more HRs, maybe 10 more RBI's and 10 more SBs worth??

Is slight possible increase in stats for the LF position worth $36 million per year minus $9 million = $27 million a year?

How'd that situation work out?

He batted .293 last year

As someone else pointed out, he batted .293 last year, but more importantly his OBP was .359. It doesn't matter how he got on base, just that he did.  He also hit 33 doubles and had an OPS+ of 116.  He also stole 23 bags, not 19.  He has trended up in almost every offensive category.  Something consistent with the fact he is just hitting his prime.  Say all you want about his current numbers, but his current offense already places him in the top 30 of all MLB players (according to fangraphs).  He is, based on all historical data and what we know about the human body, about to hit his prime and therefore we have most likely not seen the best of him.  Meaning he is at worst a top offensive player on at least one team. 

The thing with Heyward is that he is an all around good player.  Any FA signing is a risk.  Any player can suddenly lose their ability to hit.   Happens all the time. One thing that a player doesn't suddenly lose (barring injury or disease), is their ability to play defense and ability to run.  On base skills are also usually something you depend on much more than things like power and AVG.  Someone who sees the ball well doesn't typically just lose that ability.

With the money that is being talked about now.  Which is 10/$300 million + . 

NO.

I'd rather go with a shorter term player that is in the 5 year range, and save that money for someone that is worth it in 5 years and plays a certain position for us.  

The problem is those type of players are exactly the type of players that have screwed the Angels over in the past.  Those are the 30+ players.  Those are the players most likely to fall way short of their contract.  Those are the player you are paying for what they have done rather than what they are going to do.

He'll get something around $180-$200 million and will likely have an opt out clause after 5-6 years. I hope the Angels sign him. Rare FA where they'll be getting his best seasons. If they do sign him, would love the lineup to look like this

Heyward

Trout

Pujols

Calhoun

6-9 don't really care though Simmons probably should hit 9th. Top half gives Sosh those lefty/righty matchups he loves and with Heyward's speed and OBP he's the perfect option to hit ahead of Trout

$180-$200 million = he is staying in St Louis.

OK -- he hit .293 last year -- I think I mixed it up with his career average which is about .268.

yeah, Heyward - not Heywood as in Spencer.........

I still think about $27 to $28 million a year to achieve a 15 to 20 increase in Batting Average and a minimal increase in the other catagories for a LF is too much (The $27-28 million per year calculated by taking what it would take to sign Heyward minus $9 million a year to sign some other LF who could put up numbers similar but perhaps less than Heyward's career average numbers).

As for the Buzzie Bavasi comment (which was mentioned in today's LA TImes -- I wrote the prior post before reading it in today's LA Times) -- yeah, that  did not turn out too well -- but with the Halos needs and then signing Simmons to that contract for an SS position --which was not the Halos' greatest need for 2016 -- I would save the bulk of the payroll budget for pitching -- starting and set up/ quality middle inning guy.......so I'd go with the $7 to 9 million per year LF who I am sure is out there on the market.