• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vernon Wells to retire after next season

Chimi

But all I read on here is how Vernon is really trying and he just isn't skilled.  I CALL BS.  Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Don't forget about him coming to camp 30 pounds overweight. We always here about his new swing every year...I'd rather him try to actually move around a little bit. Maybe run a mile a week instead of just sitting on the couch all day.

Don't forget about him coming to camp 30 pounds overweight. We always here about his new swing every year...I'd rather him try to actually move around a little bit. Maybe run a mile a week instead of just sitting on the couch all day.

I agree 1000%.  When you see the guy in front of you, he isn't ripped.  He is kind of chubby and slow.   You look at Peter B and that guy is fit.  He busts his @$$, I can tell he really wants it and is trying very hard.   Vernon.  LOL

I agree 1000%.  When you see the guy in front of you, he isn't ripped.  He is kind of chubby and slow.   You look at Peter B and that guy is fit.  He busts his @$$, I can tell he really wants it and is trying very hard.   Vernon.  LOL

I had seats near the Angels on-deck circle on Sunday. I definitely noticed a real contrast between VW and Mark Trumbo, who obviously had a much more athletic physique. 

Despite all the tongue in cheek comments about "fat Trout", Trout's body weight situation looks a lot better than Vernon. 

I also heard lots of fans saying things like "that should advance the runner to third... oh wait it's Wells!" during the game. (Note, I'm not referring to the dropped popup) 

I was pleasantly surprised that both Trumbo and Bourjos have been showing signs of improved plate discipline and took lots of walks. Trumbo was able to lay off the two-strike low outside curves that troubled him last year. I'm aware the pitching to date hasn't been good, but neither were the pitches that Trumbo was striking out on last year.

Well boys this is a really interesting thread.  I've been at Spring Training since Saturday morning.  I'll continue to be here until Wednesday evening.  I've read this entire thread, let me tell you not much is going on yet that's very serious.  I have yet to see Wells on one of the practice fields below the stadium, or any other veteran player of note for that matter unless they are hiding them in some mysterious corner of this joint.  VegasMike must have some special pass to get into the stadium early in the morning where the veterans work out.  Most fans don't get into the stadium earlier than 11:30 or so.  I was at the Saturday and Sunday game behind home plate, great view.  As Wallerr stated he did hustle on the base paths on Saturday.  He appears to me to be trying to hit everything up the middle of the field, as he supposedly worked on in his off season drills.  That's how he singled on Saturday, up the middle, and off the shortstop's diving attempt. 

So far this is just a rookie fest, and some sloppy rookie play.  The first two innings on Sunday took almost an hour to play, and the wind chill wasn't pleasant.  Most impressive to me is the play of Conger, and I've enjoyed watching Cowart (he looks pretty professional and unflappable to me, but at times a little awkward in the field).  In many ways Spring Training in February is silly, it is just way too early, and all it takes is a little slip and you loose a veteran starter for a few months - see Granderson's story.

I don't know how vegasmike covers this place so thoroughly, he must walk a lot faster than I do.  I wish I could figure out how to post photos on this site, I have some great ones of Blantana chatting and hanging out at the corner of the main practice field with fans and an older coach I didn't know.  He must really work over his goatee, makes him look like Abraham Lincoln without a beard. 

I wouldn't and couldn't gain any impressions worth a hoot so far about how players are performing, this would be silly as far as I am concerned.  I should see Hamilton tomorrow at the game, I understand he is starting.  Now I'm going back to see what I can do about photos.  Have a nice night arguing about Wells.

Well boys this is a really interesting thread.  I've been at Spring Training since Saturday morning.  I'll continue to be here until Wednesday evening.  I've read this entire thread, let me tell you not much is going on yet that's very serious.  I have yet to see Wells on one of the practice fields below the stadium, or any other veteran player of note for that matter unless they are hiding them in some mysterious corner of this joint.  VegasMike must have some special pass to get into the stadium early in the morning where the veterans work out.  Most fans don't get into the stadium earlier than 11:30 or so.  I was at the Saturday and Sunday game behind home plate, great view.  As Wallerr stated he did hustle on the base paths on Saturday.  He appears to me to be trying to hit everything up the middle of the field, as he supposedly worked on in his off season drills.  That's how he singled on Saturday, up the middle, and off the shortstop's diving attempt. 

So far this is just a rookie fest, and some sloppy rookie play.  The first two innings on Sunday took almost an hour to play, and the wind chill wasn't pleasant.  Most impressive to me is the play of Conger, and I've enjoyed watching Cowart (he looks pretty professional and unflappable to me, but at times a little awkward in the field).  In many ways Spring Training in February is silly, it is just way too early, and all it takes is a little slip and you loose a veteran starter for a few months - see Granderson's story.

I don't know how vegasmike covers this place so thoroughly, he must walk a lot faster than I do.  I wish I could figure out how to post photos on this site, I have some great ones of Blantana chatting and hanging out at the corner of the main practice field with fans and an older coach I didn't know.  He must really work over his goatee, makes him look like Abraham Lincoln without a beard. 

I wouldn't and couldn't gain any impressions worth a hoot so far about how players are performing, this would be silly as far as I am concerned.  I should see Hamilton tomorrow at the game, I understand he is starting.  Now I'm going back to see what I can do about photos.  Have a nice night arguing about Wells.

Practices were open in the Main Stadium today since it was an away game.  I got there around 10am and Mike S was coaching defensive drills with weaver cj wilson and frieri.  Then they did BPractice.  I left about 11:30 and drove back to the main road where Pizza hut is.  I stopped at the other minor league field to catch some balls.  I was the only one on the soccer fields.  

By the way, Wells looks like he is the same playing weight he had in Toronto, and ever since he's been here to me.  If he weighs more it's probably because he is just older, and some creep up comes easily as you age.

Doesn't change the fact that he physically looks heavy. He has a gut, and that just isn't acceptable for an athlete making 20+ million a season. It really drags him down in the field because he's so out of shape and slow.

I know when people try and when they slack.  Today in batting practice Well was just slapping the ball.  It was like watching 8 year old in little league who are forced to be there by their parents.

He looks like he has ZERO motivation.

And this is why crappy white players that look like they are trying will always be loved.  

I have to question the "competitor" in Vdub. Instead of talking about a 2014 retirement, he should be focused on the NOW. It does give the impression that he's given up and looking forward to retirement....conveniently after his contract is up.

Ya, in the grand scheme of things, I haven't had a problem with Wells as a person. He's certainly had an acceptable attitude about everything and in the past I've never felt like he isn't trying. He just sucks really badly.

But the timing of this does seem strange. I'm not sure spring training leading into the 2013 season with really high expectations is really the best time to start talking about all the things you're looking forward to doing when your contract runs out and you retire 20 months from now.

Ya, in the grand scheme of things, I haven't had a problem with Wells as a person. He's certainly had an acceptable attitude about everything and in the past I've never felt like he isn't trying. He just sucks really badly.

But the timing of this does seem strange. I'm not sure spring training leading into the 2013 season with really high expectations is really the best time to start talking about all the things you're looking forward to doing when your contract runs out and you retire 20 months from now.

I'm with you.  In some ways it almost seems like a very polite, very passive, version of Derek Bell's "Operation Shutdown".  Maybe he just knows he is done.

BTW as much as i would have hated being a Pirates fan when Bell said that the comments themselves were hilarious.

From Wikipedia:

"Nobody told me I was in competition. If there is competition, somebody better let me know. If there is competition, they better eliminate me out of the race and go ahead and do what they're going to do with me. I ain't never hit in spring training and I never will. If it ain't settled with me out there, then they can trade me. I ain't going out there to hurt myself in spring training battling for a job. If it is [a competition], then I'm going into 'Operation Shutdown.' Tell them exactly what I said. I haven't competed for a job since 1991." - Derek Bell.

I'm with you.  In some ways it almost seems like a very polite, very passive, version of Derek Bell's "Operation Shutdown".  Maybe he just knows he is done.

BTW as much as i would have hated being a Pirates fan when Bell said that the comments themselves were hilarious.:

"Nobody told me I was in competition. If there is competition, somebody better let me know. If there is competition, they better eliminate me out of the race and go ahead and do what they're going to do with me. I ain't never hit in spring training and I never will. If it ain't settled with me out there, then they can trade me. I ain't going out there to hurt myself in spring training battling for a job. If it is [a competition], then I'm going into 'Operation Shutdown.' Tell them exactly what I said. I haven't competed for a job since 1991." Derek Bell.

I agree he is just saying release me like Bell did.  He isn't going to compete.  But amazingly some people on Angels win think this dude is giving 100%.  I would love to have some of what they are smoking.

Wells is a great example of the athlete that no one likes. I'd rather him be an asshole. At least if he was an asshole then he wouldn't have all these apologists kissing his ass. But since he's a nice guy he gets every excuse in the world made up for him while showing up to camp 20 pounds fatter than last year. The guy has no work ethic at all. I bet he just says he works on his swing, but if you're him, why would you? All that money's guarenteed. May as well just go have some fun and eat ****ing lobster and steak three times a day. Worthless

I agree he is just saying release me like Bell did.  He isn't going to compete.  But amazingly some people on Angels win think this dude is giving 100%.  I would love to have some of what they are smoking.

I'm not really saying he wants to be released, but I do believe he may be feeling like he's done and can't win a spot.   Whatever people want to say about Wells his behavior to date has been one of a good teammate.

Wells is a great example of the athlete that no one likes. I'd rather him be an asshole. At least if he was an asshole then he wouldn't have all these apologists kissing his ass. But since he's a nice guy he gets every excuse in the world made up for him while showing up to camp 20 pounds fatter than last year. The guy has no work ethic at all. I bet he just says he works on his swing, but if you're him, why would you? All that money's guarenteed. May as well just go have some fun and eat ****ing lobster and steak three times a day. Worthless

Not saying you're wrong, I likely missed it.  Has it been publicly stated the Angels thought he was fat or showed up heavier?  I may have missed it during Troutisfatgate.