• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does this photo offend you ? (especially if you're Mexican)

11261030_691388034331225_214895282595526

http://cmcforum.com/news/11102015-racially-insensitive-halloween-costumes-spur-discussion-online-in-student-senate

The sombrero costumes caused a protest because some people found them offensive.  The chick in the Bieber costume was some sort of student body president.  She had to resign because she was involved with the picture.  Discuss.

Three points:

1. I wouldn't complain. It's counterproductive to ask people who want to offend you to stop.

2. Do the people in the photo intend to offend, like Maher does to religious people? Probably not.

3. When you say that a particular aspect of a group is offensive, you're saying that that aspect is bad or that the group is bad. Nobody gets mad at people wearing German lederhosen costumes, but Germans would if people wore nazi costumes. What's wrong with sombreros and mustaches? Unless anything Mexican is offensive,in which case it's more of an inferiority complex.

It would appear that this issue might not be as black and white (...rim shot...) as it appears on it's face. There were flyers posted around the campus prior to Halloween, asking that people avoid "cultural" based costumes. Without understanding why they chose their costumes...it certainly could give one the impression they did do it as a way to mock the people who posted the original flyer.

College students were a lot less annoying when their wasn't social media and viral videos.

ca-3.png?resize=308%2C400

I honestly don't know how I'd feel about those kinds of Halloween costumes if I were Mexican.

I know that if I were Israeli or Iranian or something like that, and people were dressing up in costumes portraying stereotypes of my culture, I would at least raise an eyebrow.  

Honestly, it's just one of those issues that I have to think about, and I still just don't know since I'm pure anglo, and never have to confront anything like that ever. 

yep...certainly is much easier to laugh off people as whiners when it's not something you have to deal with. Not just at Halloween, but on a recurring basis.

One of my best friends dressed up as hitler for Halloween. I was like "that's ****ed up bro".

And that was that...No PTSD or anything...

To be honest with yourself college is not your full time position in life. If you would just immerse yourself like a Wisconsin or Yale student you would understand.